FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:25 am

2012 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:56 pm

2012 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

Here's the latest pair of ALS headed to the RMAF next week.

"High Gloss Anthracite Metal Flake"

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: 2012 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

hey where's the grills at..... :-" :-" :-" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:30 pm

That color would be hot on a nice car!!!!!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 am

Looks very good. Too bad we did not have a set at CF this year. :(
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:31 am

James,

Did the latest pair make it there you were working on? Here is a picture I grabbed from another site. Are these the early prototypes with the circular bases we heard at Carverfest in 2011? Or, wonder why Bob decided to use the original circular bases for the show?
Attachments
ALS1000's@RMAF.jpg
ALS1000's@RMAF.jpg (32.52 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm

The base design is in a constant state of flux....
There have been 4 different bases made, and now talks of a 5th ](*,)
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Toy Maker wrote:The base design is in a constant state of flux....
There have been 4 different bases made, and now talks of a 5th ](*,)

I hear ya loud and clear!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm

I liked the Klingon base.....
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Whose the dead guy lying down in the 1st pic? :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 pm

any orders from the show?
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Carver Towers
By Jason Victor Serinus • Posted: Oct 20, 2012

According to Bob Farinelli of Bob Carver LLC, the legendary designer has “made some adjustments” to the sound of his 35-driver Bob Carver ALS line-source speakers with active tube based crossover network ($19,700/pair). I’ll say. The sound has improved greatly since I blogged Carver’s speaker and electronics at AXPONA in early June. The system’s subwoofer may have overloaded the small room—this is not the first or the last time you’ll read about bass overload in these blogs—but the line array’s ability to reproduce the timbre of an unnamed jazz trumpeter’s instrument was spot-on.

Combined with an AMR Red Book reference CD player ($11,000), Purity Audio Design Silver Statement preamp ($20,000), Bob Carver VTA305M 205W monoblocks ($12,900/pair), a Sunfire Subrosa dual 10" subwoofer with Sunfire external 2000W power amplifier ($4500 total), and Analysis Plus cables ($7500), Bob Carver’s system was mighty impressive. I look forward to hearing it in a bigger room.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:39 pm

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110588.0
Good god how did they even get these flagpoles in here!? So far not bad. I am in a bad chair, but I'm not having any issue listening from here. There's a bit too much air that makes vocalists sound a little too breathy. From the sweet slot the soundstage and imaging are pretty gigantic. Pinched up sound for sure. They a however constrained to the room ie no depth IMO. Modest bass... Bass should never be modest, sorry this is a definite shortcoming of these speakers. Yet another example of having a speaker that is not appropriate to the room size. If you want to go big like these speakers you really need to showcase them in a big room, not the closet we are in. Demo music in this room is very boring... Yet another issue IMO. Overall this setup wants to be great, it just isn't quite there in this listening space which lacks size and treatment. 

Tyson Notes[/u]
Mahler - 
Bach - 
Ani DiFranco - 
Thom Yorke - 
General Room Notes - Tall speakers!!  And line sources!!!!  I love LS speakers, room looks very promising.  Purity and AMR gear, I am expecting great things here.  Amazing, with all those tweeters pointing right at us, at close range, there's no excessive sibilance.  That's a neat trick - I've heard these tweeters in multiple speakers and they always were shouty, but not here.  Very nice!  Wow, really tall soundstage, Dave Matthews is literally above me, on stage.  I haven't looked up this much to someone since Biden spanked Ryan.

Oh way, sitting off to one side now (switched seats with Jason) - oh, THERE's the sibilance and harshness I"m used to.  Very interesting - if you listen on axis or nearly on axis with these tweeters, they are harsh.  But if you sit nearfiled with the tweeters firing straight forward, maybe at a 45 degree equilateral triangle, they sound very good.  One other thing - NO ROOM TREATMENT.  Trust me guys, your speakers will sound MUCH better if you treat these incredibly poor (and tiny) rooms. 

http://cave.hometheaterhifi.com/profile ... e=activity
Bob Carver was representing in a big way with their Amazing Line Source speakers.  These babies have 13-8" ribbons and 22-4" woofers.  They are rated at 96 dB sensitivity with a 2,000 watt power handling capability, meaning I'd probably need some sort of Special Use Permit in my neighborhood if I got a pair of these.  The system had excellent depth of soundfield and the highs sparkled on jazz piano.  

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.p ... Itemid=351 (page 18)
Bob Carver (yes, that Bob Carver) played the Amazing Line Source loudspeaker, which is a two-way line-source tower that incorporates 13 front-firing ribbon tweeters and 22 side-mounted high-excursion woofers (11 on each side). There is also a . . .
. . . tube-based analog crossover that is used between the preamp and power amplifiers to create a fully active, biamplified system. The price for the entire speaker system, including crossover, is $19,700/pr. We thought this was a very interesting and promising design.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:03 pm

The real question is, did Farinelli sell any speakers?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time

Return to Introducing the NEW 2012 "ALS"