FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:22 am

Parasound HCA-1206 v. Carver AV-705x

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Parasound HCA-1206 v. Carver AV-705x

I am looking at a possible opportunity to aquire a Parasound HCA-1206 from someone on the Polk forum to run my Polk LSi setup (LSi 15 L/R, LSiC C, LSi F/x SR, SL). I figured this place would be the best place to get thoughts on those two amps.

Initially the HCA-1206 will be running all 5 of my LSi speakers (with one channel unused) and then eventually the LSi 15 fronts will be moved to a M1.0t and the Parasound will be in charge of the center and surrounds and possibly a couple DIY passive subs and or the surround back rears in a 7.1 setup.

My Carver AV-705x has power steering, however I have never really found what its wpc rating is at 4 ohms with all channels driven, but it has powered the LSi setup with no issues for a long time, I just know Parasound has a great reputation of punching above the belt.

The Parasound is rated at 200 wpc @ 4 ohms and is 71 lbs v the 125 x 5 @ 8 ohms and 42 lbs of the Carver.

You guys think its a good upgrade or not? I know Parasound and Carver are both known for being warm but dont know if the amps driving my front 3 being different would be a problem in the future.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Parasound HCA-1206 v. Carver AV-705x

nm, might be moot point, but just for the heck let me know your thoughts......
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:10 pm

Looking at the available specs on all the "A" series amplifiers, including but not limited to the AV-405, it looks as though their 4 ohm rating is about 50% more then their 8 ohm rating. based on that yours should be at around 190 watts per channel at 4 ohms?
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:17 pm

jjptkd wrote:Looking at the available specs on all the "A" series amplifiers, including but not limited to the AV-405, it looks as though their 4 ohm rating is about 50% more then their 8 ohm rating. based on that yours should be at around 190 watts per channel at 4 ohms?

Good to know, still curious as to the 30 lb difference between the amps. Both are about the same size as well.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:19 pm

In my experience the Parasounds sound nice but run very hot, something I didn't want in my room. :? I'm sure a lot of that "extra" weight is in the heatsinks...
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:21 pm

jjptkd wrote:In my experience the Parasounds sound nice but run very hot, something I didn't want in my room. :? I'm sure a lot of that "extra" weight is in the heatsinks...

Didnt think about that. I was honestly more concerned if the bottom glass shelf of my entertainment center would be able to hold it without breaking lol.....

Not that my wife would complain since she wants to replace it with a nice wood stand anyway lol.....
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Right out of the owner's manual:

http://www.parasound.com/pdfs/vintage/hca1206om.pdf

Ventilation Requirements for Your HCA-1206

Your Parasound power amplifier is designed to operate with high idling, or bias, current to reduce higherorder harmonic distortion. This bias optimization is characteristic of all Parasound power amplifiers and
is perfectly normal, but it results in noticeably warm operation even when no signal is present. While
many other amplifiers manufacturers have chosen to bias their amplifiers at a lower level to run cooler,
we bias our amplifiers so the output transistors are allowed to operate in a much more linear region.
Although the amplifier may run a little warmer than other amplifiers, we feel the resulting sonic
improvements are significant and justified.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:32 pm

jjptkd wrote:Right out of the owner's manual:

http://www.parasound.com/pdfs/vintage/hca1206om.pdf

Ventilation Requirements for Your HCA-1206

Your Parasound power amplifier is designed to operate with high idling, or bias, current to reduce higherorder harmonic distortion. This bias optimization is characteristic of all Parasound power amplifiers and
is perfectly normal, but it results in noticeably warm operation even when no signal is present. While
many other amplifiers manufacturers have chosen to bias their amplifiers at a lower level to run cooler,
we bias our amplifiers so the output transistors are allowed to operate in a much more linear region.
Although the amplifier may run a little warmer than other amplifiers, we feel the resulting sonic
improvements are significant and justified.

Well its an open rack so that should be fine, and its got space around it on top and both sides so it should be fine I would think, but good to know. Thanks for that!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:18 pm

The problem I had was the room I was in (13x15) couldn't dissipate the heat well enough, it was 10-15 degrees warmer then the rest of the house at all times. :shock:
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:23 pm

jjptkd wrote:The problem I had was the room I was in (13x15) couldn't dissipate the heat well enough, it was 10-15 degrees warmer then the rest of the house at all times. :shock:

yeah, this room 14 wide x 22 long x 8 or 9 tall and it opens up to a small hallway on the right in front of the LP and to the kitchen (french door width opening) behind the LP.

Rather large room so I dont think that would be too much of a problem for me. Plus its the bottom floor and heat rises.... \:D/

That and one the intake for the furnace which is like 2 foot x 3 foot is not to far away from where it would be lol...

Return to Carver Home (Audio)