FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 am

speaker wire length

<<

johnnyx11

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:08 pm

speaker wire length

[*]Hello Everyone...
I'm not as savy as most of you with the technical side of audio, just need some simple advice.
i'm running two cerwin Vegas 15" 3 way speaker cabinets (dx-9's) off of a carver tfm-42 amp. I wanted to move the system into my work warehouse but id have to run to wirelengths of 120 ft. Is this possible with 12you awful wire or a bad idea all together?
Also if it is possible, do the wire lengths to both speakers need to be equal?

Id assume its an obvious simple answer, but thanks for the help!
Proton AL200A Speakers (x 2)
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: speaker wire length

That would be a helluva length of wire. You'd be better served placing another system in your workspace...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 pm

That would indeed be a very long run.

But I think it would probably work fine. Most people have a misconception about the need for massive speaker wire.

The best thing to do, as Bob himself would tell you is: Try it and see.

Let us know how it sounds.

I'm betting it will be fine.

Just my .02
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Frankie, I knew you'd reply to this~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:56 pm

<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:12 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Frankie, I knew you'd reply to this~

Yes you did Gary. I'm betting its because of the time when you were at my house.

We listened to my HT set up driven by a Sunfire 5400 and all was well. Then we went into the living room to listen to my 2 channel set up.

The Amazing Silvers were sounding pretty good when you asked "What are you driving these with?"

I said the same 5400 w from the HT and you responded with "How long are you cables?" About 35' to 40'.

This concerned you but it didn't before you knew how long they were.

As for the Audioholic article. It is very interesting but doesn't change my mind. Bob himself told the story of some Audiophile friend of his who had speaker cables with a reel of wire behind the couch. A short distance between speaker & amp but very long (reel full of) speaker wire. When Bob asked why he replied "It sounds better this way."

Also rememeber that the sought after "tube sound" can be 80% created by a 1 ohm resistor in series with the speaker lead.

Which brings me back to my suggestion.

No matter what anyone says you will only know if you "Try it and see"
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:45 pm

I suppose a lot would depend on whether he's looking for the very best sound possible from his rig (in the work warehouse) or just "some music to listen to". If the latter (most likely), then 12 ga wire would be fine. If the former (doubtful based on the fact that it's his "work warehouse" and not where one would expect to do much critical listening..warehouses are not known for great acoustics, quietness, etc., etc.), then he might want to use a wire ga more in line with what the site provided by PDR recommends for 100 ft (or greater)runs...but that would probably be pretty much a waste of money: 'cause it's a WAREHOUSE SHOP FLOOR! :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

kingman

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Try it.... you might like it.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 pm

bob would say that his amplifiers are high voltage and that the little old 18-22g wire is just fine. really think about this. how big are the traces on the circuit board in the amp. yes there is some loss in long wires, but we are talking about single digit change at best. in my bar i have at least 500 feet going to 30 plus pairs of speakers series and parallel to go to three amps. personally i would use 14g as the price is better than not. my .02 cents
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:29 am

And to answer your other question,yes; both wires need to be the same length.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:43 pm

elgrau explained it to me this way once:
The line level is a tiny signal, but the speaker level is a big signal. He explained it all as to water flowing in a garden hose.

200ft will work fine, but ---
the best is always the shortest route.

15 years ago I actually had a "line level" going from my computer up through the ceiling and out to the yard -> sounded great.
What you loose is control of the volume and tune selections.

For the price of 200 foot of decent wire, you could make a good down payment on a used Carver amp to put out there where you need it, not to mention all the less hassle that would be. Have you considered wireless?

There is a big difference in "great soul moving music" and "audiophile". It sounds like you just want some boogie music. I like that \:D/ .

As a RedNeck, I have a mulit-$K system, all of it out here on my porch. A garage should be no problem.

I would rethink the long, inconvenient wire and just save $$ another couple weeks. You must already have speakers for there and can pick up a Carver 505 (etc) for $200 on eaby.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)