FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Custom amp created by Bob Carver (AND I SHIT ON IT)

<<

d0n

"Will Suck U 4 Amp"
"Will Suck U 4 Amp"

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Custom amp created by Bob Carver

elgrau wrote:DB wrote: "Carver gear is nice but lets not make the giant leap that it is even remotely similar to Mcintosh"

Correct: $ for $, Carver/Sunfire amps are FAR superior, and sound wise they are at least as good...and in some cases superior (IMHO!).

Right... that's why back in the 1960's the Grateful Dead went to bob carver (instead of McIntosh) and bought enough carver amps to power their "wall of sound". :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzuZtW6kX00
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:59 pm

You don`t want much do you? Bob Carver was`t out of high school til `65, had he been things might have been different.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:54 pm

A much more popular band did pick a produuct from Bob actually.

Pink Floyd toured with Phase Linear power for some time.

I keep wondering how long tubes would last couped up inside that coffin. Bad idea right from the start, IMHO. Even with the top off, which would look awful, air won't flow well and it'll eat outputs. Not to mention it'll certainly shorten cap life, etc.

Sounds like it won't matter. Anybody with brains (meaning it'd have to sell which ain't likely) would pull that beauty right out and set it up like it should be. Then see if you couldn't get some nice change for all the weight in that exterior chassis. Scrap pays pretty good right now!

Mark
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Wow, Just Wow. I think rather than being an immature ranter thru email, you could have handled this differently, reminded Bob, etc as one poster noted. I mean do you think you are special enough to have every conversation remembered by Bob Carver? I am sure he speaks to, deals with, helps many people - why would you be remembered (besides now anyway)? I do believe those on this forum have many conversations with Bob that are remembered - because there is a mutual respect. Well, there you go, I guess that can answer that question.

I never met Bob, but know my guys here have and if they trust him, then so do I. And personally, I would not care if it was painted pink, purple and tan - if it played like a carver, and was signed by him, and was built / repaired by him (or one of the guys here taught by him) - bet your ass I'd be happy. I would have reminded him of the quoted price, but even then, if he said more - it would be worth it, because as many have said - Bob comes around to help so often in many ways.

As for your Ebay post - I do not believe anyone would take this as a slap to Bob. They will just assume this was someone who thought they were special, had a Bob Carver signature, and inflated the price as much as his ego. Not a damn thing you could say would change that. You have no clue. Most of your rep on Ebay will probably be tarnished because everyone will wonder if you do that to all your prices. And if not, they certainly will soon enough.

People who like something will find fault when they don''t get the cherry. People who love something always get the cherry. In this case, the cherry is Bob's friendship, guidance, and assistance.

Good luck with your auction(s)
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:41 pm

here's a trade for ya's......

:shock:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

RevAmish

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 pm

I had the same thought as Radioeng2, it almost looks like the paint warped from the internal heat. I don't think Mr. Donald Hopkins cares at this point, he's getting too much of a kick from being a jackass. I'd lock the thread and suggest he move to Audio Karma with the other dbags. My 2 cents.
NOW PLAYING: Melos GK-1, Carver 305 monoblocks, FunkFirm Vector TT, Arcam DAC, MacMini w/JRiver, Philips CD-80, Revox B77, River Current AL-VIII speakers, River Current Cables
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 pm

The Beach Boys used Carver also.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:33 pm

d0n wrote:I'm still interested in unique trades. What have you got carverites? :o

Ultralight?

Motorcycle?

Scooter?

RC Helicopter?

DMD Pinball game/s?

Mcintosh model 9 Amps (pair)?

Dually diesel crew cab?

Vintage Honda motorcycles?

Dual sport motorcycle (DR400Z) ?

Anything interesting.

1993 vw corrado slc
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 pm

angelod307 wrote:1993 vw corrado slc

Yeah......but.......how's the paint on it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Chauss wrote:
angelod307 wrote:1993 vw corrado slc

Yeah......but.......how's the paint on it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shot. Clear coat is wore out.

20 years under the sun does that.
130k on it . Ding/dent on passenger side.
Newer tires, runs great. Body is only thing
But twice what the amp is worth and that
Is just from the stuff I did when I bought.
A lot of car. And at that age a true toy as
They were supercars o the day and still hold
There own. A way cool car.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Odysseous

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm so disappointed that we have people like d0n in this world that I've been resisting commenting on this because I know every reply to this topic just puts more lumber in this fire, but Chauss, you really knocked it out of the park and I couldn't resist: I am literally rolling on the floor laughing!

Now since I'm already commenting on it, let me say this: I know Bob personally, we talk on the phone periodically, my wife and I have stayed in his house, and I've seen first hand what he's about and how he treats people and the kind of life philosophy and work ethics he has and if d0n hadn't offended him with his email, he would have done the incredible to make him happy, the way he does to all his other customers. He really has one of the most "beautiful" hearts of any human being, in spite of being one of the most influential people in the audio world (and I say "in spite" because that kind of stuff hardens your heart, It comes with the territory), in spite of having built more than five successful companies, in spite of having tons of people who love him, tons of people who envy him, and tons of people who hate him, and being a crazy smart genius, he is still the most caring, gentle, and thoughtful guy you'd ever want to meet. All I can say is that the guy who started this thread had a huge chance of becoming friends with one of the most important people in the audio world and he missed his opportunity because of a paint job. He makes fun of it now, but when this thread dies, he'll realized what he lost. Hopefully he'll learn from it and become a better person because of it, them this whole thing would have a silver lighting and it wouldn't have been all a waste of time.
2 Channel rigs:
Bob Carver custom made BLACK BEAUTY/RED tube amp, Carver TFM-45 (X3)
Carver C-19 tube pre amp, Carver SD/A 490t tube CD player
Carver TX-11b radio tuner, Carver TD1700 cassette deck
Carver Amazing Platinum IV, Genesis 350SE, Martin Logan Prodigy, Maggies 3.6R, Polk Audio SRS 3.1TL, KEF Reference Model One, Infinity RS Kappa 9
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:18 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> Well said. At this years fest I asked Bob a question, I asked him if he would sell me just the transformers so that I could build a pair of 305 tube amps. He said you want to build a set of 305's ,I said yes but I want to build them out of wood nice wood mahogany, walnut etc. Bob replied yea I will sell you a set no problem. I asked him how much he gave me the price and I told him I would contact him when I was ready. Do you really think any other guy would do that for a guy like me. Any one else would have said go pound sand buddy.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

d0n

"Will Suck U 4 Amp"
"Will Suck U 4 Amp"

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Odysseous wrote:All I can say is that the guy who started this thread had a huge chance of becoming friends with one of the most important people in the audio world and he missed his opportunity because of a paint job. .

Of course you're going to come to bat for bob. You and your wife stayed in his home, yadda yadda yadda. You're not what we call impartial are you?

How about addressing the fact that your hero bob allowed this amp to be sent out to a customer when it's so shoddily done? It's not just the laughable transformer paint. It's also the useless bias meter location, the forgotten LED defeat switch, the amp was supposed to be done in 2 months but it took him 14 months with me CONSTANTLY emailing him asking "when" and then it cost me $1300 more than we agreed on.

Bob had the chance of becoming friends with ME... continuing a potentially lengthy business relationship and having me publically praise his work. Instead, he chose to do the absolute least he possibly could regarding my prized amplifier. And, when I dared to question him, his "don't ever contact me again" line was actually expected.

Only a person who has an ego & a pair of balls large enough to send that shoddy amplifier out to a customer and try to pass it off a work of art would have big enough balls & ego to tell that same customer to never contact him again. :rolleyes:

Bob Carver has shown himself and his end product to me. If this amp is all he's capable of, I'm not impressed by either the man or the product to be honest.

I understand why most of you come out swinging in his defense. He's the only "succsessful audio designer" who would ever even consider going to a week long "fest" in his name, put on by his fans. Bob absolutely eats your admiration up. It carries him forward. He thrives on it. In turn you all eat him up and aimlessly stick up for him because he pays the slightest attention to you once a year. The relationship between bob and his fans is symbiotic. You feed off each other. It's rather sickening ...the more I'm exposed to it.

Someone buy this amp from me so I don't have to look at it (or come here) anymore. Trades considered too. Just get it out of here. It pisses me off everytime I look at it.
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:44 pm

d0n wrote:
Odysseous wrote:All I can say is that the guy who started this thread had a huge chance of becoming friends with one of the most important people in the audio world and he missed his opportunity because of a paint job. .

Of course you're going to come to bat for bob. You and your wife stayed in his home, yadda yadda yadda. You're not what we call impartial are you?

How about addressing the fact that your hero bob allowed this amp to be sent out to a customer when it's so shoddily done? It's not just the laughable transformer paint. It's also the useless bias meter location, the forgotten LED defeat switch, the amp was supposed to be done in 2 months but it took him 14 months with me CONSTANTLY emailing him asking "when" and then it cost me $1300 more than we agreed on.

Bob had the chance of becoming friends with ME... continuing a potentially lengthy business relationship and having me publically praise his work. Instead, he chose to do the absolute least he possibly could regarding my prized amplifier. And, when I dared to question him, his "don't ever contact me again" line was actually expected.

Only a person who has an ego & a pair of balls large enough to send that shoddy amplifier out to a customer and try to pass it off a work of art would have big enough balls & ego to tell that same customer to never contact him again. :rolleyes:

Bob Carver has shown himself and his end product to me. If this amp is all he's capable of, I'm not impressed by either the man or the product to be honest.

I understand why most of you come out swinging in his defense. He's the only "succsessful audio designer" who would ever even consider going to a week long "fest" in his name, put on by his fans. Bob absolutely eats your admiration up. It carries him forward. He thrives on it. In turn you all eat him up and aimlessly stick up for him because he pays the slightest attention to you once a year. The relationship between bob and his fans is symbiotic. You feed off each other. It's rather sickening ...the more I'm exposed to it.

Someone buy this amp from me so I don't have to look at it or come here anymore. Trades considered too. Just get it out of here. It pisses me off every time I look at it.

Why give yourself a heart attack. I will save you thousands of dollars in medical bills and put you back on happy train. Send it on my way. (BTW, that is my barter - your medical bills become non-existent before they occur, and I get the amp.) I am impartial - never met Bob. But I am sure he will absolutely sign it again special for me. I may even get the other guys on the forum to sign it for me too.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
PreviousNext

Return to Fight Club