FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:51 am

new to site

<<

slidero8

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:38 am

new to site

I have been intrigued by Carver Equipment since seeing the pics in Mags in the 80;s and Finally picked up a 6250 receiver and was blown away by the sound. I boxed up the Yamaha to give to my ex. I have a M500t and C1 on order, should be here Monday.I use a old bsr eq, and run Technics towers rated for 200 watts and Infinity Towers 150. I know I need to upgrade speakers. Any ideas for best bang for the buck for matching up speakers to my amp/pre amp? I was hoping to spend south of a grand. I apologise for any bad site/posting ettiquette, I will figure out the rules as I go. Read a lot of stuff the last month. Really like the M500t upgrades, with the blue leds and increased power and frankly a good going over because of age.
6250 Reciever, M500t, C1
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:11 am

Re: new to site

welcome. i believe with all my heart, that the al3 speakers from carver are the best bargain even when they sold for 3k new. now the average set is 500-900 in good working order. the crm2's are great although a sub is a must. lots of folks love the polk sda's, and then i like the klipsh alot as well, although i never personally owned a set. the corner loaded horns are by far a favorite as well as the 3 ways of smaller venue. canton speakers and mb quart are nice.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:16 am

I agree with Angelo...the ALIII's are great and the price is a plus. Will outperform speakers costing thousands more.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

cring08

TFM-35

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:00 am

WELCOME!

I love my Amazings! They were a little easier to find than the AL iii's. although you might have to recone/replace the drivers due to the surrounds deteriorating.

I usually run anything I find by the guys here on the forum, they will steer you in the right direction.

:o
Chris

Living Room/main System:
Sunfire TGP IV
Sunfire 300x2
Carver Amazing Silvers
Apple tv
Carver SD 390t
Technics SL 1950 Turntable

Basement/system 2:
Carver MXR-130
Teac reel to reel
Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Nikko eq2
Cerwin Vega HED's
Klipsch SW15
Infinity RS10's
Pioneer 100 disk changer

Garage system:
Pioneer VSX something?
Polk Audio 2500
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:08 am

First of all \:D/ WELCOME!!! \:D/
+1 on what Angelo said. My experience with the ALIII's is only second hand, but judging by the comments posted here on the forums, they must be outstanding speakers! My experience with Polk Audio is from owning them, and has been outstanding. As you can see by my sig. I have several sets. It's a hard choice, but have to say the favorite of them all is the Polk SDA 2B. With all the tweaks, upgrades and rebuilding the crossovers, I have close to $900 invested in these speakers. They will out perform many of the newer designs costing far more.

Again, Welcome to the forum :D
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

slidero8

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for all the information, There are some polk sda around, kind of feel foolish. I read and spend a lot of time looking at set ups and i had never heard of the sda's. They actually look like what I was thinking of, now to see if they sound how I was thinking. The other speakers I was considreing were klipsch and some I have been really checking into is the magneplaner maggies
6250 Reciever, M500t, C1
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:49 pm

maggies are nice as well. i liked the lower model in a small sound room over the top dogs. heard them at upstairs audio in columbia sc, and even though the 20's were more accurate, the 1.something model just had a warmer, fuzzier if you will sound that just sucked you into the stage and then kept me there listening to some roger waters amuzed to death and the favorite dark side of the moon. the bigger ones were just that. bigger, better, etc, but they just did not have that thing that i have a hard time putting into words. they were simply more pleasurable to my ear.
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:45 am

slidero8 wrote:The other speakers I was considreing were klipsch and some I have been really checking into is the magneplaner maggies

I've owned Magnepan MMG's, 1.5's, 1.6's, 1.7's, 2.7's and listened to the earlier 3.x series with the true ribbon tweeter.

They all have the Magnepan "family" sound and are not rock n roll speakers. The 1.6's and 1.7's are very good, a bit light in the low end and won't go as loud in the extreme as other speakers but they do everything else very well. The 3.x Maggies have a bit better low end but unless you have a large room I would probably not recommend them because the ribbon tweeter can be a bit bright and attention getting in a smaller room. I've had the 1.x maggies in very small rooms and they do very well, they just need to be pulled out from the wall a few feet for better bass response.

I own Klipsch Chorus II's now and can recommend them if you prefer a "you are there" presentation and they have good bass response. Mid-range and vocals lack the Magnepan smoothness and delicacy though.

Harder to find used and a bit more expensive but giving a good combination of the Magnepan and Klipsch sound are the Legacy brand speakers, such as the Classic, Signature and Focus speakers. If you can find any of those for a good price used I'd strongly suggest looking into them. I picked up a pair of their small Studio speakers - might be the best $200 I've ever spent.
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:10 am

that's right, i forgot about the legecy and my favorites at the florida show. 12" coax with 18" subs. i will find the name here directly, but they are new in the 6k mark if i remember right.
<<

slidero8

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:16 am

I have a pair of Infiniti sl-40's now which are lite for the M500t but I do like the sound, though they are probably on the inexpensive end. I see that ebay has Polk rti 12 speakers factory refurbished free shipping about $730 a pair. Original msrp is like $1600. All the reviews on "their" sight were great, still looking for some unbiased opinions b4 I would ever commit to buying. I am going to do some web searches on the speakers that were brought up here. Thanks again!.....J
6250 Reciever, M500t, C1
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:47 am

slidero8 wrote:Thanks for all the information, There are some polk sda around, kind of feel foolish. I read and spend a lot of time looking at set ups and i had never heard of the sda's. They actually look like what I was thinking of, now to see if they sound how I was thinking. The other speakers I was considreing were klipsch and some I have been really checking into is the magneplaner maggies

I've heard the smaller Polks and the SDA's...I't a personal taste choice but I did like the smaller ones better.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

slidero8

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:57 am

I received the M500t and C1 and it sounds so cliche, but wow, you really do hear things you never heard b4, They are both very nice and the amp looks like it could be on a showroom shelf 25 years ago, I cannot see a flaw. But the sound, you really just don't know if you don't know. The difference is crazy!
8)
6250 Reciever, M500t, C1
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Congrats !!

The M500 is the best looking amp...EVER !!

Many say it is the most "musical" amp as well.

Welcome to our corner of the world.

You are now infected with OCCD and there is NO cure.

Sit back and enjoy and think about coming to the fest in September.

It's a great time in a beautiful setting.

Frank.
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 pm

I miss you too frankieD :lol:
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:50 pm

hewlew1 wrote:I miss you too frankieD :lol:

AWWWWWWWWWWW

Most fuckin' people never get to see the fuckin' sweet fuckin' side of you Harry.

Only about 9+ months to Fest13!!
Next

Return to "The Welcome Mat"