FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 am

Different fuse holders?

<<

miller1891

User avatar

Newbie

Posts: 17

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Location: Kent, WA

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Different fuse holders?

Recently purchased a set of ALIII s from the second owner. They were hooked up to Cary tube amps and WOW! I performed my due diligence inspecting the ribbons and woofers based on advice found here. Got them home and realized that the fuse holders on the speakers were different. One speaker has the recessed style like those on the back of my Cinema Grands and the other has the screw cap type. Are these a replacement possibly from a later model? :-s

PS: I purchased these based on reviews in this forum and of course their incredible sound. I am augmenting them with an M&K MX 125II until the True Sub arrives. How damn long does it take to get from NJ to WA? My home theater is becoming more of an audio room. Dug the Pioneer DVD 47Ai out of storage and dusted off the SACDs. According to my neighbor, I also dusted off his chandelier. :D
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5715

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Different fuse holders?

I have never seen any with screw cap fuse holders , but that doesn't mean that they did not exist on some models. Mine have the recessed style. BTW...Congrats on you super speaker purchase! Sure to bring your listening pleasure to new heights. =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

miller1891

User avatar

Newbie

Posts: 17

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Location: Kent, WA

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Different fuse holders?

Thanks Kingman, they have certainly done that already. The family now refers to my Man Cave as the Man Tomb because I never come out.
<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13335

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 am

Re: Different fuse holders?

I've never seen AL-IIIs with a stock screw cap fuse. I have them on mine, but they are custom.
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

miller1891

User avatar

Newbie

Posts: 17

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Location: Kent, WA

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Different fuse holders?

Thanks Rabbit. Saw a pair on Craig's List today with the threaded type. I am guessing the plate must have replaced. On another note, I first learned about these based on your review in a different forum. I have since been searching for the Kappa Perfects with no success. Does anybody know of a comparable replacement?
<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13335

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Different fuse holders?

miller1891 wrote:Thanks Rabbit. Saw a pair on Craig's List today with the threaded type. I am guessing the plate must have replaced. On another note, I first learned about these based on your review in a different forum. I have since been searching for the Kappa Perfects with no success. Does anybody know of a comparable replacement?


Some have tried JL Audio. Personally, I'd give serious consideration to just leaving the original woofers & adding a good sub below 40-50 hz.
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5715

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: Different fuse holders?

TNRabbit wrote:
miller1891 wrote:Thanks Rabbit. Saw a pair on Craig's List today with the threaded type. I am guessing the plate must have replaced. On another note, I first learned about these based on your review in a different forum. I have since been searching for the Kappa Perfects with no success. Does anybody know of a comparable replacement?


Some have tried JL Audio. Personally, I'd give serious consideration to just leaving the original woofers & adding a good sub below 40-50 hz.

That is what I have done with a Sunfire true sub.....good results when cranking it.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

miller1891

User avatar

Newbie

Posts: 17

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Location: Kent, WA

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: Different fuse holders?

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I purchased a True MKII on EBay and it did not work. Seller claimed it was shipping damage. Took it to Bill's Electronics (his first customer) and he immediately identified cap failure that had been going for some time. If the seller doesn't step up, I will post his name here as he sells audiophile stuff with regularity.

Return to Carver Speakers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2011 phpBB Group.