FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:31 am

Opinions on value of Amazing Platinum edition

<<

audioholic2

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Opinions on value of Amazing Platinum edition

I came across a pair of these while looking at some other gear that was for sale. he said he was the original owner. They are in Oak. The speaker terminal cup is broken, as I have read is par for the course. I am going back to remove the grills and give them a closer look. I really have not given them much thought in the past. I have owned many speakers over the years. Currently using Yamaha NS2000, NS1000M, NS1000, and AR5's, and have a few newer higher end tower type speakers not in use at the time. My thought is $700 if the foam and ribbons appear to be intact. This is my first post on this site, just signed up yesterday as a result of coming across these speakers, so do not want to come across in a manner that might offend someone here. I have been a member of Audiokarma, Klipsch, Polk, DIY and a few other sites for years. If this is not the proper format for my question, please inform me of the errors of my way. For those in the know, does this seem fair?
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Opinions on value of Amazing Platinum edition

It's hard to offend any one here with questions. And there are a lot of great poeple on this fourm with lots of knowledge regarding you choice of speaker purchases. Be aware that the amazings take a load of power to really make them sing. But I have to tell you it's worth every penny to get them right. You can get new replacement woofers and the ribbons can be rebuilt not to mention the cross overs can be rebuilt to give you many years of pleasure. If you are close to Michigan you are welcome to come by and listen to a rebuilt pair of silvers at any time.
Ray
<<

audioholic2

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks for the response. I just took a closer look at them. The guy removed the grills before I got there and a screw tore the foam on one woofer :( . Another woofer has a hairline tear coming on. The foams are on their final leg. It appears that 8 Dynovox woofers are about $320. I have recapped many speakers so I just figured that was going to be part of the process. Plus I will need to replace the terminal boxes. I could not find anything visably wrong with the ribbons. The grill cloths and oak (needs oiled) are in perfect shape. What would folks in the know give for something like these? One other thing is it appears there are fine horizontal lines on the front of the ribbons. Is this normal, as in just part of the manufacturing process? Thanks.
<<

cring08

TFM-35

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:13 pm

audioholic2 wrote:Thanks for the response. I just took a closer look at them. The guy removed the grills before I got there and a screw tore the foam on one woofer :( . Another woofer has a hairline tear coming on. The foams are on their final leg. It appears that 8 Dynovox woofers are about $320. I have recapped many speakers so I just figured that was going to be part of the process. Plus I will need to replace the terminal boxes. I could not find anything visably wrong with the ribbons. The grill cloths and oak (needs oiled) are in perfect shape. What would folks in the know give for something like these? One other thing is it appears there are fine horizontal lines on the front of the ribbons. Is this normal, as in just part of the manufacturing process? Thanks.

In my opinion, I would low ball somewhat on these. Whatever surrounds are still good, will deteriorate when you start using them. Also, email dynavox first, and tell them to let you know when they go on sale, I think I paid $29 each for mine by asking for the discount alert. Dynavox will email you back quickly. I paid $250 for my amazings, but I do have one magnet out of place, along with having to replace the woofers.

Welcome to the forum! \:D/ \:D/
Chris

Living Room/main System:
Sunfire TGP IV
Sunfire 300x2
Carver Amazing Silvers
Apple tv
Carver SD 390t
Technics SL 1950 Turntable

Basement/system 2:
Carver MXR-130
Teac reel to reel
Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Nikko eq2
Cerwin Vega HED's
Klipsch SW15
Infinity RS10's
Pioneer 100 disk changer

Garage system:
Pioneer VSX something?
Polk Audio 2500
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Offer him $500 with a guarantee that the ribbons work properly. You can't lose on that price.... 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:33 am

wow what a bunch of tight wads. the ribbons alone are 600 plus. I paid 750 for the first set I got. yes the woofers need servicing(can be refoamed from foams coming from Italy another member said), but these thing are hard to beat bar none. why not simply ask what he wants for them. and then pay accordingly. the nicer the shape, the more I would pay. for the x-overs, the 350uf capacitor(2 x 175uf) for the woofers plus the 100uf highpass capacitor for the ribbon are not a whole lot of cash. as a matter a fact, I am going to spend the extra and get some better capacitors for the ribbons, maybe poly or something nice instead of the electrolytics I just put in sooner than later on my next parts express order. bob does not disappoint with these speakers.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:28 am

angelod307 wrote:bob does not disappoint with these speakers.

=D> =D> I have to agree. The set of Silvers I had were amazing (hence the name) and easily were in the same league as my klipsch's and they were bone stock running about half power. :-s These things were just bursting with potential... I'd love to hear a pair set up and driven proper like.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:28 am

I'm Not going to hijack this thread however, any one from this forum is welcome to stop in and listen to my system. It consist of the following.
Ray

Amazing Silvers (rebuilt from new finish on wood to crossovers)
Silver 7t's (rebuilt by Rowland)
C-19 preamp
490t cd player
C-9 SH (rebuillt)
BBE sonic max.
Logitech Squeeze Box for playing FLAC files.
<<

ddhoferjr

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:54 am

Go get em. You'll love them .
<<

cring08

TFM-35

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:29 pm

angelod307 wrote:wow what a bunch of tight wads. the ribbons alone are 600 plus. I paid 750 for the first set I got. yes the woofers need servicing(can be refoamed from foams coming from Italy another member said), but these thing are hard to beat bar none. why not simply ask what he wants for them. and then pay accordingly. the nicer the shape, the more I would pay. for the x-overs, the 350uf capacitor(2 x 175uf) for the woofers plus the 100uf highpass capacitor for the ribbon are not a whole lot of cash. as a matter a fact, I am going to spend the extra and get some better capacitors for the ribbons, maybe poly or something nice instead of the electrolytics I just put in sooner than later on my next parts express order. bob does not disappoint with these speakers.

I do purchasing for a living, it's just natural to look for the best price. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just be informed before you go in, and know what you have to spend to make them perform.

...and yes, they truly are AMAZING! I have never owned a better speaker.
Chris

Living Room/main System:
Sunfire TGP IV
Sunfire 300x2
Carver Amazing Silvers
Apple tv
Carver SD 390t
Technics SL 1950 Turntable

Basement/system 2:
Carver MXR-130
Teac reel to reel
Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Nikko eq2
Cerwin Vega HED's
Klipsch SW15
Infinity RS10's
Pioneer 100 disk changer

Garage system:
Pioneer VSX something?
Polk Audio 2500
<<

audioholic2

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:24 am

Thanks for all the replies. I passed on the speakers. I think he wants more than I am willing to pay for them. I will keep them on my radar.

Caveat emptor: The owner always knows the condition of the item, and the buyer knows practically nothing. Therefore, they need to be cheap enough to cover any and all costs that might be required. Or I really want them, in a bad way (Yamaha NS-2000's \:D/ ).

Return to Carver Speakers