FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 pm

One-of-a-kind Carver Silver Signature build

<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:04 am

Re: One-of-a-kind Carver Silver Signature build

TNRabbit wrote:Check out the way Mike changed the configuration of the CarverFest tube amps to prevent interaction between the output transformers:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=15063&p=173436&hilit=tube#p173436

Really nice work. I might get one of those amps to practice my amp building skills.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Dr K wrote:Placing the transformers to minimize interaction may be better method than shielding with mu metal. Some argue shielding distorts the magnetic field of the transformer and degrades the sound.

We used it to shield Hall Effect sensors when I worked at Schlumberger (parent company of Fairchild Semiconductor). The magnetic field there is microscopic in comparison to a transformer (and much more sensitive). They were used in electric meters for use at power plants (hydro electric dams) where every miscalculation of a fraction of a volt costs the power company thousands and thousands dollars....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 pm

My God Dr. K your caps are HUGE!!! How big is your amp going to be? I can't wait till you finish! =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Snoop65 wrote:My God Dr. K your caps are HUGE!!! =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

You sound like my girlfriend! :D Sorry... I just had to respond.

Seriously, my amp will be four chassis. It will be sizeable by any standard. The chassis will probably constructed from a combination of manganese bronze, aluminum, and acrylic to distribute and dissipate mechanical resonances.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:26 am

Update. Bob has given the output tranformer (OPT) specs to the builder. However, it will about 8 to 9 weeks for the OPTs to be finished :( . These are custom OPTs so require nonstandard wire and windings. Each monoblock will have two paralled output transformers. The benefit of paralled OPTs is increased high freq and transient response, but more expensive unfortunately. The OPTs will have EI cores made with ultra thin M3 laminations and utilize copper Litz wire for part of the winding.

The rest of my Teflon tube sockets for the KT88s, 12AX7, and 12AT7 are now ready to be shipped. Should get them in 1 to 2 weeks.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Bob is incredible. He felt it was taking too long, as did I, to outsource the building of my OPT. In typical Bob's fashion, he's come up with a custom prototype OPT. What can I say...I'm not worthy.
Attachments
Bobs Prototype OPT.jpg
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:02 pm

Cool! Looks familiar... Silver 7? :-k :-k
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:15 pm

jjptkd wrote:Cool! Looks familiar... Silver 7? :-k :-k

The end bells are the same, but the internals will be quite different.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Wed May 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Apologies for the long delay in posting. A lot has happened in the interim. Some of the custom made parts for the amp build is taking way too long. So after discussing the matter with Bob, I have decided to build the four chassis amp with off the shelf obtainable "audiophile" parts.

I have acquired four OPT transformers for Hashimoto of Japan:
http://www.tube-amps.net...o_Prods/HW-100-5_800.jpg
Hashimoto senior engineers were part of Sansui of Japan in the glory years before they got bought out buy Chinese investment group. Each of these OPT are conservatively rated at 100 watts. However, when bought tested them in his lab, each was capable of handling over 200 watts. Since I am using two of these per channel, these can handle over 400 watts! You can read all about Hashimoto here:
http://www.tube-amps.net/index.htm
They are meticulous in their design,s and their transformers are regarded as one of the best in the world. Bob was very impressed with them.

Bob has designed two custom power transformers, which are on their way to me. He tells me they are about 35 to 40 lbs each!

Resistors are made by PRP, Kiwame, Mills, and Shinkoh. Coupling caps are Audyn True Copper caps. Mundorf, Axon, Nichicon make up the other caps.

The Goldpoint stepped attenuator with remote control is used for volume control.

I have hired Gary Dodd to build my amp. He has been building tube amps for decades and is one of the best builders I have come across. Plus, his rates for labor is one of the most affordable in the industry. You can see some of his work here:
http://doddaudio.com/photos.html
Beautiful workmanship, no? He will be posting pictures of the build process as we go along.

This amp will still be one of the best out there. I am doing this so I can get a working amp to use in my system. My patience is thin.

As for the ultimate Carver Amp build, I am slowly gathering the custom parts. Bob is building me custom output transformers (OPT) using M3 steel/Nickel hybrid EI core with his custom NASA silver alloy wire. Externally it has the same appearance as the OPT on his famous Silver 7 monoblock tube amps. However, these will be painted piano gloss black. The laminations will be smoothed out, so the OPT will look like a single solid block of piano black goodness. It will be awesome. Also, I am trying to convince Hashimoto to build pair of 400 watt OPT (I'm sure based on their 100 watt OPTs, these can handle 600 watts easily)...these will be completely custom like Bobs OPTs but will use Japanese steel double C-core with copper wire. Hashimoto doesn't believe in using silver wire...they claim silver doesn't sound tonally correct.

I have received custom made inductive (autoformer) volume controls with remote control. It took over 4 months to get. Will post pic later. I'm still working on getting custom resistors from Texas Components (Naked Z foil resistors) and PRC (Precision wire wound resistors). And so on....

Hope everyone is well.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm

DAAAAAAMMMMNNNNNN!!!!!!
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed May 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Well it's about damn time!!! :lol: :lol: :D
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed May 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Awesome that you were able to get Gary Dodd to do your build. He's done some impressive stuff!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Wed May 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Guys, if you ever need someone to build an amp for you and want it to look like a million dollar job, go with Gary Dodd. He's a good ole Texas boy with no BS attitude.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Thu May 16, 2013 1:03 am

Autoformer Volume Control.jpg

My custom remote autoformer volume control for the one-of-a-kind Carver amp.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Wed May 22, 2013 1:39 am

Here is the custom power transformer from Bob. It's naked...will be painted later.
Attachments
Power Transformer.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)