FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:12 pm

[Sale]Amazing Originals - Thinking about parting them out...

<<

Beronjamin

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 am

[Sale]Amazing Originals - Thinking about parting them out...

I bought a pair of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers with the 4 30'' ribbons off Craigslist for $400. Didn't know much about what to look for when demoing them. They sounded fine and when I got them home they still were amazing. However after more testing, the buzzing started in certain songs from 200-400hz. I spent probably 10 hours on here and other sites looking for troubleshooting help and have since tried everything from the hairdryer trick to tightening the screws and cleaned them out with air duster aerosol. After doing all the fixes I could find, it appears that the buzzing has shifted frequencies a bit higher. Songs that previously had a terrible buzzing now do not, while other songs have developed it. I don't think there is much more I could do with them as far as repair, and having them shipped out to be fixed would certainly not be worth it.

The bad

-One of the ribbons has a two of the center magnets shifted out of place(didn't notice when I demo'd them) and looks like the foil has separated a bit from the ribbon. There are also what appears to be little dents or something on them.
-Another looks like the ribbon is rather loose since its "wavy" looking.
-Another has what I would describe as corrosion marks on the the one side of the ribbon.
-The last one might be okay since it looks find and I don't think it really buzzes much.
-One frame has scratches(apparently moving company scratched it up) and the base is a little loose.

The good
-Woofers appear to be working perfectly.
-Crossovers are good.
-Grills are good(one has a stripped screwhole which I can fix with glue).
-Woofer covers are fine, one small tear.
-One frame is in good shape.

Unless someone has a fix for the ribbons or cheapish replacements, I'm going to have to part it out to get my money back. What are the components worth if I were to list them on eBay and/or what offers would anyone here like to make? I see the woofers listed as buy it now for 59+20 shipping, so I should be able to recoup everything just in selling those.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:59 am

Re: [Sale]Amazing Originals - Thinking about parting them ou

Dave and James Sauter do the ribbon repairs on these. It's not cheap! I'm guessing $900.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Beronjamin

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Yeah exactly. I'd have more in them than it would be to just buy a pair of Platinums in good shape. Are busted ribbons worth anything? If they aren't I might take a shot at trying to repair them myself since ruining them wouldn't be any worse.
<<

kingman

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Only to someone who wants or needs them. Usually they know the repair cost.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Beronjamin wrote:Yeah exactly. I'd have more in them than it would be to just buy a pair of Platinums in good shape. Are busted ribbons worth anything? If they aren't I might take a shot at trying to repair them myself since ruining them wouldn't be any worse.

The material for ribbons is all but unobtainable.

For the record, repairing a stripped hole with glue isn't the way to go; get yourself some wood inserts: Image http://www.amazon.com/6-32-Brass-Thread ... B000O65BSQ
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Return to Introducing the NEW 2012 "ALS"