It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 am

Need low-budget power amp for AL-III Plus's

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Need low-budget power amp for AL-III Plus's

Hi kirstenj,
Late to this thread...skimmed the 2011 stuff and read the latest. You can waste a whole lot of time and money in this hobby trying to SAVE money. Lot of collective wisdom here on this forum (guys here REALLY know this stuff!) and most everyone has "been there; done that" re your system issues. But most of us were lead to the water and did not drink and had to learn these lessons in our own ways...so most likely you will to. We all believe (mostly through experience) that vintage/refurbed Carver/Sunfire amps will give you hands down the most bang for your buck (else we would not be here...). I concur with the early advice about the 300x2: the Sunfire's do a better job with 4 ohm loads than do the Carver amps (in general...). The Sunfire's are very beefy serious iron. You'll know it when/if you see/lift/hear them vs. the very good Carver amps.... And like I said, you can waste a ton of money and time trying to save a few bucks in this hobby, but you'll never be sorry that you invested in the best...
Happy hunting! - Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

kirstenj

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:11 am

Thank you Ed, I appreciate your thoughtful post, and of course, everyone's help. :) I'm currently looking for a Sunfire 300x2 locally and online.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:35 am

kirstenj wrote:Hi Rabbit!

Hey guys, besides having 20 years as a software architect previously, I'm also an intuitive energy healer. I get it's not your bag, but yes, I use ALL my senses as I navigate the world. Besides clairvoyance, I use "tools" such as astrology, symbology, and YES, even signs in nature. Peace!

On another note, thought I'd give a post about what I've been up to. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but we wound up wiring/installing our entertainment room ourselves and it turned out fantastic! We'll be running the wire into the living room for the AL III's next (which are on Zone 2 of the receiver.) I've done a lot of learning over the past couple of days on matching amps to speakers, as well as bi-amping and bridging. While I like the idea of bi-amping, I want to keep the equipment in our locked cabinet (out of our toddler's reach), which I have installed thermometer driven fans into. That leaves me room for 1 amp no more than 8" h x 17" w, and 1 no more than 7" high. I also don't have a dedicated electrical circuit for the amp, which means at any given time it, the receiver, and a couple of lights may be on and it has to do OK. Our electrical box is maxed out after a lot of remodeling. So, probably looking at getting 1 amp for now <g>. I looked outside Carver amps to broaden my search. I'm currently looking for the Sunfire 300x2 of course, but also considering the M500-T, the Pro PT1800, and the Emotiva XPA-2 (500w/ch @ 4ohm). I''m figuring in $250+ shipping for servicing on the older models. Someone on another forum said the XPA-2 clipped with the AL IIIs, but only after he'd cranked it. He eventually ran 2 mono. It weighs 98 pounds, so seems like a substantial amp for the money ($590-900 depending on age), and it wouldn't likely need servicing. While I'd like "perfect", that's not happening now, so I'm willing to try any of these models for now just to get music into the central part of our house and enjoy the speakers :)

My last 300x2 , serviced by bill a couple of years ago with new power supply caps. 1050 shipped.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Also, maybe possibly, the 300 x 2 in florida if i buy the whole lot.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:21 am

So the amp went, i wonder how she liked the combo? I loved it. 300/2 and al3 speakers are very happy together.
<<

kirstenj

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:04 am

Due to a lot going on around here, we just got the Sunfire 300x2 hooked up for a trial run. Loved hearing each guitar string struck on 10000 Maniac's MTV Unplugged. My music-indifferent husband had a big-ass grin, and my toddler was dancing around being all happy and such!

No sound from one of the AL-III woofers, so getting a new fuse tomorrow to test. We'll be doing the actual wiring under the house and walls Tuesday I hope. Props to Angelo for a wonderful job on the packing.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:05 pm

kirstenj wrote:Due to a lot going on around here, we just got the Sunfire 300x2 hooked up for a trial run. Loved hearing each guitar string struck on 10000 Maniac's MTV Unplugged. My music-indifferent husband had a big-ass grin, and my toddler was dancing around being all happy and such!

No sound from one of the AL-III woofers, so getting a new fuse tomorrow to test. We'll be doing the actual wiring under the house and walls Tuesday I hope. Props to Angelo for a wonderful job on the packing.

Remember that the next great upgrade are the capacitors on the ribbons.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=027-447

Also the woofers capacitors tend to break from sheer weight. If i remember, 350uf i think. Two caps parallel of 150 , 175 to 200 will do per speaker. The ten or so screws on the panel on the speaker.

Then if you want, next jump , i have the infinity woofers that folks like so much for 325 shipped for two. Infinity perfect 10.1 single coil woofers.
<<

kirstenj

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Woofer issue was just loose bus plates <g>.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Please make sure of the caps in the ribbons, i was thinking they are 100uf, but after reading back, 150uf might be correct.
<<

kirstenj

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks Angelo, leaving well enough alone for now, but have taken some notes for future reference.

It's taken me a while due to other commitments, but I've tried out the amp with different wiring configurations, figured out the pre-amp zone control, and sweated a little while learning the equipment (sound one day, none the next as I tried different configurations. Won't go into the details, as it was user error(s), and my Dad was over twice to test things with his equipment to isolate the problem. Anyhoo, I'm now partying on! \:D/ Love, love, love the amp with the speakers. Thank you everyone for guiding me to that decision. Well done. Bi-wiring (using voltage and current) really made the emotional connection to the music for me. Tried a Mozart adagio, U2 (Mission Impossible Theme), Madonna (Hung Up), Aerosmith, String Cheese Incident, some New age music, and loving it all. The Mission Impossible Theme was amazing in its clarity, and Hung Up really showed the base support with this setup.

Cheers,
Kirsten
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Congrats!! =D> =D>
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:07 am

Good Deal!!! =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:05 am

Enjoy! =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Audio)