Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:25 am

Re: One-of-a-kind Carver Silver Signature build

Congrats! Looks really nice.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Thank you. This is a real labor of love for Bob and me.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Here are the final specs of the OPT from Bob. The OPTs will be used in my statement amp producing ~500 watts using 10 KT88s per channel.

Power handling: 1012 watts
Freq Response: 2 Hz - 240 kHz
Full Power Bandwidth (506 watts): 18 Hz - 32 kHz
12 segmented windings
Distributed air gaps (43 air gaps)
8, 4, and 2 ohm taps
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:31 pm

WoW!!! Is that thing for 3 phase power??? Impressive beastly looking thing!!!
How big a circuit will be required for this amp? Is it above 20A?
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Not sure what you mean by 3 phase power. You don't need 20A circuit although I have that.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Three cycles in the wave. So three

120 volt taps are used if i remember right.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:54 pm

In a three-phase system, three circuit conductors carry three alternating currents (of the same frequency) which reach their instantaneous peak values at one third of a cycle from each other. Taking one current as the reference, the other two currents are delayed in time by one third and two thirds of one cycle of the electric current. This delay between phases has the effect of giving constant power transfer over each cycle of the current and also makes it possible to produce a rotating magnetic field in an electric motor.
Three-phase systems may have a neutral wire. A neutral wire allows the three-phase system to use a higher voltage while still supporting lower-voltage single-phase loads. In high-voltage distribution situations, it is common not to have a neutral wire as the loads can simply be connected between phases (phase-phase connection).
Three-phase has properties that make it very desirable in electric power systems:
The phase currents tend to cancel out one another, summing to zero in the case of a linear balanced load. This makes it possible to reduce the size of the neutral conductor; all the phase conductors carry the same current and so can be the same size, for a balanced load.
Power transfer into a linear balanced load is constant, which helps to reduce generator and motor vibrations.
Three-phase systems can produce a magnetic field that rotates in a specified direction, which simplifies the design of electric motors.
Most household loads are single-phase. In North American single-family dwellings, three-phase power generally does not enter the home; multiple-unit apartment blocks may have three-phase power but three-phase power is not used for household appliances. Utilities that supply three-phase power for lower-load-density area homes typically distribute only one phase to individual loads. Some large European appliances may be powered by three-phase power, such as electric stoves and clothes dryers.
Wiring for the three phases is typically identified by color codes which vary by country. Connection of the phases in the right order is required to ensure correct rotation of three-phase motors. For example, pumps and fans may not work in reverse. Maintaining the identity of phases is required if there is any possibility two sources can be connected at the same time; a direct interconnection between two different phases is a short-circuit.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Said wiki
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:09 pm

angelod307 wrote:Said wiki

Dang Angelo, for a minute I thought Bob was standing in for you.LOL
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Does size really matter? (that's what she said...lol).

Seriously, "how it sounds" is all that matters. What if this monster has an audible hum, e.g.? Or sets up such a magnetic feild that it disrupts other areas of the circut. But again, if great sound IS there, than that's all that matters... Good luck with the build, angel! Can't wait for 1st "sound review"!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:00 am

Ahh....I don't think I have three phase power. Actually I know I don't because when I had whole house surge protection installed the electrician told me I had single phase connection.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:15 am

elgrau wrote:Does size really matter? (that's what she said...lol).

Seriously, "how it sounds" is all that matters. What if this monster has an audible hum, e.g.? Or sets up such a magnetic feild that it disrupts other areas of the circut. But again, if great sound IS there, than that's all that matters... Good luck with the build, angel! Can't wait for 1st "sound review"!

The size of the OPT is a function of power requirement and safety margin to protect from core saturation. I think the size of this OPT is just right for this amp.

Bob's transformers are the quietest I've heard. He has already tested this OPT, and it is as quiet as his other OPTs. In the Cherry 180, I have to put my ear almost right up to the transformer to hear the faintest hum in my dead quiet audio room.

Any competent tube builder knows how to properly orient and place a transformer, so it causes minimal disruption to other parts of the circuit. Remember, this amp is a four chassis design so the OPT and power transformer are in separate chassis, which gives more freedom to reduce any magnetic/electric field interactions with the circuit.

As for the sound, it's a gamble given its unique design. But given Bob's genius, I doubt it will sound less than great.

Thanks for your support.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:44 pm

Sooo..... anything new here?
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Audio)