It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:35 pm

Did you say you liked horns?

<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 am

Did you say you liked horns?

Been playing around with a few smaller horn set ups:

Don't know if you remember the Frazier Dixielanders I scored for a hundred bucks or not. The bottoms were pretty worn so I cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and glued & screwed it on the bottoms and made new rear feet for them.

They are pretty cool, a 10 inch woofer in a bass reflex design. Here you can see a wire that came unsoldered that would later cause me trouble. One of the few times I was able to actually trouble shoot something on my own.

I installed lpads, i'll be durned they actually worked. Once I fixed the wire that came unsoldered

Here is the finished product. I cleaned all the spider webs out, only got bitten once. Sanded the old paint to clean up the surfaces a little and applied 2 coats of my favorite Altec battleship gray paint.

The lpads worked flawlessly and I am shocked at how nice this set up sounds. Here I am trying a pair of AH horns and bic drivers. I really like these driver because they can be had for a couple hundred bucks. The AH horns go for $1,200.

I also scored a pair of parts express bass bins a buddy of mine built and veneered. He also installed lpads and fitted them with Eleven wood horns, again with Bic drivers. I think these horns go for about $900 and use the Le Cleache flair. This set up sounds nice but a little lacking on the bass.

I moved the Frazier Dixielanders up to the house.

And decided I like the Eleven horns better. For some reason I think the Lecleach horn flair sounds better. The AH horns throw the sound farther forward and deliver a nice ss.w.e.e.t. spot but the Elevens deliver a bigger and more focused one.

Another pair of horns I have are the Jabo horns on the JBL bass bins. They may look familiar. This one uses an Altec 288 driver with an Alnice magnet. The bass that some out of the JBL's is unbelievable. The Altec drivers are to die for, I am waiting for another horn to try on these that is more of the Le Cleache design. The Jabos deliver a very focused sw.e.e.t spot but it is very narrow. I think they need a bigger room because they sounded sw.e.e.t. in my garage.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Did you say you liked horns?

No I did not say I liked horns....but I do now!!! =P~

VERY VERY NICE =D> =D> =D>
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:41 pm

[youtube]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CsnEIjgqW7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:27 pm

AWESOME!!!!!! =D> \:D/ 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Awesome Tinpan!!!! I have to hear your systems one day. You're really horny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:22 pm

Don't recall sayin that.....but I bet we all know somebody that does! :D
Looks awesome Tinpan! Would love to hear all the gear you have someday! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm

I've been to tinpan's house on numerous occasions & he has an amazing array of horn speakers. I think I need to go over tomorrow & hear those latest ones~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Some pretty cool looking speakers for sure, bet they sound even better then they look! =P~ =P~
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:11 pm

I am a fan now! Nice.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks, maybe one of these years I can make it to Carverfest and bring a system. I don't know why but I love playing around with different horn setups.

This is one more I am playing around with. It's called a Smith's horn and believe it or not it's supposed to have great imaging. You wouldn't think so the way it's laid out.

I need to spend a little more time making a plate to mount the drivers. I used the Altec 808's I had laying around and 3/4 inch plywood
as a mounting bracket. It sounds pretty horrible. I think I need a Bic driver and a thin mounting plate. the 3/4 inch plywood puts the driver too far back from the horn.

The other recent acquisition was my buddy's homebrew 300b amp. I love this thing.

the other thing I like about his homebrew amp is the homebrew pre-amp he made as well. It uses an Audio Notes Line stage board and a really cool Western Electric Voltage gauge. You can switch out caps to change the sound. Here you can see the AN copper foil caps

I also have some cool oil filled russian caps and the Dynamic caps you see here.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Looks like fun!! \:D/ \:D/ Here's the horns I've been hooked on:
Attachments
DSCN9799.JPG
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:57 pm

[quote="tinpan"]Thanks, maybe one of these years I can make it to Carverfest and bring a system. I don't know why but I love playing around with different horn setups.

The other recent acquisition was my buddy's homebrew 300b amp. I love this thing.

Class A tube amplification have anything to do with it? :D \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Tinpan, my jealousy levels are rising!!! :D :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:09 am

Snoop, I knew you'd like this preamp. The oil filled caps are just liquid groovy.

Chaus, you'll also like the pair of AN Interstage Mono Blocks I also acquired from my buddy. You can see them on the tall amp stands behind the Fraziers. These are a little different from the first pair I got three years ago. This pair uses a slightly different rectifier tube and has 2 watt tantalum resisters verses the 1 watt my first one has. It also has Black Gate caps like the first one also. I had these hooked up to my A4's and the sound was just unreal. I moved them back up to the house to drive my Lowthers. Didn't want to leave them as my garage system.

JJptkd, you are almost there. You have a tube pre and a tube dac. Now you need a Baby Black Beauty to drive those Choruses. You may be surprised at how nice those EL 84s sound on Klipsch Speakers. I have one running a pair of Khorns and one running my Altec A4's. Even my SET buddies drool at how nice that amp sounds on my Khorns.

You ought to check with James to see if he has another Baby Black Beauty he wants to blow out.
Tinpan

<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:34 am

Tinpan I took your advise a while back about getting a Baby Black and it is quite stunning especially after a little tube rolling.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
Next

Return to List / Update Your System