It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 pm

CF Amp Mods

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: CF Amp Mods

For just one post lets take this back to the ~

Mike assembled 4 amps for me with all upgrades.

I have two going as mono blocks.

I sold one to Snoop for $500 Letting that go was not about $$ but friendship, will give more if he wants to sell it back.

I have one left in the box, not touched since Mike put it there.

My two in use are exceptional.
This is the age of snake oil tube crap. You see it everywhere and at reduced prices.
Mike is not that are not that, and while I don't want to hurt feelings, not what people assembled at Carverfest.

I have some amps, maybe more than you.
I am not sold on expensive wires, carts and crap.

The tube amps Mike assembled for me are ~

For Christmas I am sending him a blow up sex lady.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:28 pm

huh?
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:For just one post lets take this back to the ~

Mike assembled 4 amps for me with all upgrades.

I have two going as mono blocks.

I sold one to Snoop for $500 Letting that go was not about $$ but friendship, will give more if he wants to sell it back.

I have one left in the box, not touched since Mike put it there.

My two in use are exceptional.
This is the age of snake oil tube crap. You see it everywhere and at reduced prices.
Mike is not that are not that, and while I don't want to hurt feelings, not what people assembled at Carverfest.

I have some amps, maybe more than you.
I am not sold on expensive wires, carts and crap.

The tube amps Mike assembled for me are ~

For Christmas I am sending him a blow up sex lady.

Bill I'm doing the mod to see if these abused ears can hear a difference in a controlled environment. I'm hoping for some improvement in imaging and if I'm really lucky some enhancement of the soundfield. If you heard Angelo's work on his linesource speaks a change in a resistor here and a cap there can make MONSTER changes. I'm just tryin' to get me some o' dat

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Magnaryder wrote:
Bill I'm doing the mod to see if these abused ears can hear a difference in a controlled environment. I'm hoping for some improvement in imaging and if I'm really lucky some enhancement of the soundfield. If you heard Angelo's work on his linesource speaks a change in a resistor here and a cap there can make MONSTER changes. I'm just tryin' to get me some o' dat

ray

Good fun.

On YC we did a CD to all members last year on a similar test.

I have good gear, but defer to Snoop on all things in detail.
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:41 am

Magnaryder wrote:
Hey Mark! You mentioned another 220ufcap in the power supply. Where is it. AND...during another conversation you mentioned maybe IIRC a resistor somewhere in/around the 2 big power caps although I could be wrong.

Ray,

The schematic I have handy has a total of three electrolytics that'd be strong candidates for upgrades.

The first is the last cap shown on the power supply page. That last cap in a PS has a say in the sonics.

The second is the cap below the input tube. This cathode cap is important in sonic flavor stew. Mine shows it as a 100uf at 16v.

Third is the cap in the output tubes bias. This drawing has it as a 100uf again.

As far as other resistors, the 470K above the input tube and then the 47K above and below the second stage would be candidates for HQ resistors.

Those are the parts beyond what you mentioned that I'd have highest on the better parts hit parade. Look forward to hearing about what you think with shiny, fancy parts under the hood.

Mark
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 pm

I'm trying to upload a pic but it's more aggravating than work was today.

Try this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30939399@N07/10737286965/

But I digress..With more than a little help from Mark I got the amp modded. All tolled it took me 3 hours to complete the job. I installed the .1 Obbligatto caps, 2.2k Mills resistors, F&T 100uf100v electrolytics and the 220uf 200v electrolytic Mark suggested yesterday. I planned to run some silver over 7-9s copper wire on the input line and from the OPTs to the speaker binding posts but ran out of time. I want to change the RCAs and binding posts to match the other amp. You'll notice the F&Ts one of the Obbligattos and the blue can cap are hot glued into place to keep them from moving around.

Came home turned it on....from across the room(garage actually)...just in case don't ya know:-) First thing I noticed was it seemed to tame some shrillness in my garage KLHs. Hmmmm, let's take this inside.

I've been burning the parts in with white noise(radio static) for a little over a week, so they have a little over 200 hours on them already. I think that might have helped. At first blush the overall sound is much more articulate and sounds less 'crowded' for lack of a better term. Each instrument occupies separate space and displays a delicacy of its own. They're in bold relief. I don't have the words. The bottom end seems more robust, it seems to go deeper and is way more accurate than before the mods.

WOW!!!! Colour me impressed

....right now more listening.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:06 am

Absolutely love the paint job on the bike. =D> =D> =D> =D>
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:21 am

Hoooo-raaaa!! Or Hoo-Ray! :)

You passed the smoke test Ray! Cool. Now let'r settle in and give it some real windshield time. Love the fact you've taken the time and the dough to apply a few more good parts and raise the performance to that next level.

Look forward to more listening impressions and those next few parts to go yet. Three cheers for Ray!!

Mark
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:33 am

Awesome Ray!!! =D> =D> =D>
Looking forward to more thoughts on your long term impressions- Enjoy! \:D/
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 pm

engtaz wrote:Absolutely love the paint job on the bike. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Roy, it's a spray bomb job except for the 8 or 9 coats of clear. Amazing what you can do with some 800 grit sandpaper and a buffer.

ray

After I made the post last night TheTerrorTwinz came home and listened for a bit with me. Shay and Jessica were in our kitchen and noticed some things sounded different in a couple of the discs I was playing. We have listened alot lately to some of Mark's CF discs and the girls pointed out some things they hadn't heard before...from another room. Now keep in mind I've lost a fairly good portion of my high frequency hearing and I'm relegated to below 12 or 13k for the most part. Their hearing is far better. Clearly there is room for improvement. I've ordered 47R, 47K and 470K PRP resistors and Silver Mica 100pf and 150pf caps. I'll install them after about a month of listening to things the way they are.

The nuances present now just amaze me.

This arrangement does not improve crappy source material...in fact it sounds worse. ALOT WORSE
Magnaryder

<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:37 pm

More detail to music doesn't necessarily mean the need to hear the freq extremes.

Ray and I were visiting about the result of this round of component changes and it's thrilling to hear that the kids in the next room noted differences. That's true blind testing! But Ray's making excuses for himself and I don't think that's necessary at all. Everybody has differences in the ability to hear the HF stuff and we all lose some as we age plus get exposed to too much loud stuff in life. But the listening ability we should pick up over time to really hear what it is we're hearing more than makes up for those extreme highs loss.

But a really cool part of this is I'm not sure Ray knew which end of the iron to use a couple years ago and now he's in changing parts! That takes courage and learning.

Now to get him onto the preamp building he's been threatening....

Mark
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 pm

The more I listen to the amp the more I like what I've managed to coax out of it. Saturday Sherry and I made the trek to Pittsburgh to meet up with Beemers and Huffman at VHFofP. Beer was drank, lies were told while some fine Chinese food was consumed. Later some of P'Burgh's more colorful characters came out for the night. I managed to get the BearJew to repair the 150pf cap I'd damaged modding my CF amp. I also scored 2 sets of almost unobtanium Shuguong 6AX7s for the front end of my CF amp.

We drove over to pick up a '70s Pioneer receiver I left to get repaired. I've been wanting to upgrade my vinyl rig. Tom had mentioned having a Ariston table that sports a Linn Basik arm he might be willing to part with during a conversation at Carverfest. We struck a deal and the Ariston TT resides in my rig. I installed a Shure V-15 type III G cart I've own sine April of1976. I 'might' need to upgrade that also. It does some pretty damn good, WAAY better than what I've been using until now. I noticed a very pronounced HUM coming from the TT. I tracked it down to a wiring issue as I tried to connect my TT rig to BOTH my Sunfire Tube Pre and the Tascam. Ground loop hum. I guess I'm going to put the Tascam in the tape loop of the Sunfire.

After I get my Pre up and running the Sunfire goes back to Pittsburgh and under the knife to get modded. We'll see what some Mills resistors and Mundorf or Obbligatto caps will do for it.

I'm off work tomorrow so I plan get some more listening in after I rake leaves. Rain and snow here later this week.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Tom(Beemers) gave me a set of polystyrene caps to replace the little yellow ones that were damaged during my mod adventure. He says they sound better. He also gave me a set of silver micas. What a nice guy:-)

Mark, I have some nice JJ 47uf500v electrolytics and that happens to be the value of that last cap in the power supply. Replace it? Lemme know.

I can't believe how much that mods have extended the bass response. Damn!!!

ray
Magnaryder

<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Magnaryder wrote: Mark, I have some nice JJ 47uf500v electrolytics and that happens to be the value of that last cap in the power supply. Replace it? Lemme know.

ray

The JJ's have a nice reputation. Yes, I'd change it. It won't be much of a change probably, but enough to do it as long as the JJ's haven't been around so long as to be very old. I like the upping of the voltage a bit.

Mark
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 pm

radioeng2 wrote:
Magnaryder wrote: Mark, I have some nice JJ 47uf500v electrolytics and that happens to be the value of that last cap in the power supply. Replace it? Lemme know.

ray

The JJ's have a nice reputation. Yes, I'd change it. It won't be much of a change probably, but enough to do it as long as the JJ's haven't been around so long as to be very old. I like the upping of the voltage a bit.

Mark

Mark, the JJs are brand new, fresh from PartsXonnection last week. Ordered them to install another filter stage in the 5687 pre that one of the DIYer had done.

ray
Magnaryder

PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)