FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:32 pm

WTB Silver or Platinum Edition

<<

Freud

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:31 pm

WTB Silver or Platinum Edition

I would like to purchase the Carver Amazing Silver or Platinum Edition speakers. I made a terrible mistake in selling my Silver Edition speakers several years ago!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:37 am

Re: WTB Silver or Platinum Edition

Welcome!

Your best bet would be to keep an eye on eBay, but also you can use Tempest search for craigslist nationwide.

Keep in mind, these speakers are getting old & most surrounds have rotted away by now. There are several threads on here about what to look out for when purchasing the Amazings; here's a good one to start you off:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9142&p=92360&hilit=amazing+woofer+surround#p92360

If you find a pair that have the original woofers, plan on having to replace them due to deteriorated surrounds:

Orevox USA Corp.
248 North Puente Ave.
City of Industry, CA 91746
Phone: 626-333-6803.
The SW-1220FL is the OEM replacement for the Originals. The WP-1220 is the OEM replacement for the Plats and Silver's.

You can check for buzzing ribbons with dynamic piano music & intimate female voice recordings. Over time, the glue holding the ribbon to the Kapton backing material can become brittle & release, causing buzzing. This can OFTEN be fixed by gently heating the ribbon with a hair dryer or heat gun (carefully!), but isn't a guaranteed fix. ToyMaker from this forum can rebuild ribbons for you: http://www.carveraudio.com/ribbonrepair.htm

Use this information to negotiate price on any speakers you find.

Good luck!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 am

My best suggestion... grab a set of AL-III's
Same basic speaker, much smaller footprint, and a little better in the real low end, having a ported box for the woofer.
Most of the woofers are still in good condition in the AL-3's
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Toy Maker wrote:My best suggestion... grab a set of AL-III's
Same basic speaker, much smaller footprint, and a little better in the real low end, having a ported box for the woofer.

Additionally, the AL-IIIs image better than the wide Amazings, IMO.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Toy Maker wrote:My best suggestion... grab a set of AL-III's

And they image much better than the others. And...there are several folks here who have modded the crossovers to improve them further

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:46 pm

I don't want to offend anyone but:

You are all full of shit !!

Silvers Rule

And that goes for imaging too !!!

More bass my ass !
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:54 pm

frankieD wrote:I don't want to offend anyone but:

Silvers Rule

More bass my ass !

Close, but no cigar my friend! Plat 4's :D Just had to throw that in. :rolleyes:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Yeah, my Silvers suck ass.

They'll be buried with me! :D
<<

Freud

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply and your suggestions!

I have located a pair of the Amazing Originals that I may be able to purchase for around $600. I am aware of their low efficacy and current needs, but I am tempted to purchase them. They are described as being in very good condition and the seller is within a 2 hr driving time, so I would be able to pick them up. I had Dave rebuild the ribbons on the Silver Editions that I had and wouldn’t hesitate using him again to rebuild the ribbons on the Original, if need be. Would $600 be a fair price for the Amazing Originals? I would be using these as front speakers in a dedicated home theater on each side of a 112 inch screen.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Having owned the AL-III's and the Silvers there really is no question in my mind that the Silvers are very much superior in every respect, can only imagine what the Platinums or Originals could do with the right wattage. :-s Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum!! =D> =D>
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42 pm

frankieD wrote:I don't want to offend anyone but:

Silvers Rule

More bass my ass !

Well as you can see opinions vary. Go listen for yourself and make you decision based on YOUR ears.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:34 am

I have to agree with Don plats is where its at. I have all 3 originals ,plats and AL3's as far as bottom end the AL3's are dead last. Not much difference between originals and plats just the originals require a shit load of power to make them come to life.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:46 pm

hewlew1 wrote:I have to agree with Don plats is where its at. I have all 3 originals ,plats and AL3's as far as bottom end the AL3's are dead last. Not much difference between originals and plats just the originals require a shit load of power to make them come to life.

Dang, where are you keeping all of this audio stuff? :-k :rolleyes: You are as bad as Kingman! :lol: :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Actually I have 2 pair of plats 1 oak,1 black so that's really 4 pair of amazings.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:49 pm

hewlew1 wrote:Actually I have 2 pair of plats 1 oak,1 black so that's really 4 pair of amazings.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
— Thomas Paine

RIP Bill D.
Next

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies