FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 am

CF Amp Mods

<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Re: CF Amp Mods

Zoot Horn wrote:EI's if you can find em-- I have one NOS,,lookng for 7 more.

Eddie mentioned he has EIs in his Sunfire Tube Pre and likes them alot. I guess I haven't researched tubes enough as this is the only place that I've heard mention of them.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:36 pm

IIRC,, the EI's were made using the old telefunken equipment.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:IIRC,, the EI's were made using the old telefunken equipment.

Really, well if quality control is good they ought to sound pretty good. George are these new production tubes? If so, they might be easier to get/replace and might be easy enough on the pocketbook to roll. Hmm?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Nope-- they are no longer made-- I think a NATO airstrike smoked the factory-- get now if you can--they are that good!
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:47 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:Nope-- they are no longer made-- I think a NATO airstrike smoked the factory-- get now if you can--they are that good!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Vintage Hi-Fi modified Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Right now I'm listening to The Eagles(first pressing LP), Pet Sounds(180gm vinyl), Enlightened Rogues(first pressing),Rubber Soul(180gm vinyl) and Mahogany Rush Live(first pressing). I continue to be amazed by this little amp. I've gotten out my retired AN-9 speaker cables to see if they make a difference that I like in this setup. Tomorrow I install the DH Labs wire and the OPT fixture Mike brought to the Fest. More then...

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:11 pm

MRHP wrote:
Zoot Horn wrote:Nope-- they are no longer made-- I think a NATO airstrike smoked the factory-- get now if you can--they are that good!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

One of the points of this experiment was to see if new manufacture tubes could be used and other premium or what's loosely called 'boutique' parts rolled in to get similar if not as good or better results. If that goal is achievable then we wouldn't have the dependence on highly priced unobtanium. But within budgets it is fun, ain't it?

I wonder if I get one of my amps to a reliable technician if it would perform any better than the one tested by those guys on the 'net? Does anyone know how to get in touch with Greg that roomed with Robert R? He's got the skills to do it. IIRC he lives in Michigan, right?

ray
Magnaryder

<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:25 am

Yes Greg lives in Michigan and he is a regular on the Carversite. He goes by the name Nahash5150
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 am

here is the latest that I can find about EI

I've done some research on the internet and this is a summary of what I've learned about Elektronska Industrija or better known as EI of Yugoslavia. Contrary to popular belief, from some tube sellers (to increase prices) the EI factory was not destroyed in the war. If you do a Google search on EI Yugoslavia and page through the search results, you will find you'll find EI's outdated web site from April 2002 that states the factory was not destroyed in the Yugoslavia war (which was primarily between 1991 and 1995). EI produced tubes well after the war was over and this is a commonly known fact, as many popular online tube vendors sold these newer after war EI tubes. Current production of EI Vacuum tubes stopped many years ago and it will not resume. The primary difference after the war, was the quality of the tubes suffered greatly due to many factors such as shortages of quality materials and employee turnover which impacted quality control. There was also a UN embargo in place during this time which didn't help matters either. Quality issue, during and after the war are well documented on audio web site discussion boards.
The actual EI factory building was sold around 2005-07 and the new owners of the building had no interest in vacuum tubes, so production will not resume in that building.

The most recent information on EI is that Western Electric did in fact attempt to purchase the tooling from the old EI plant back in 2006-07. It was reported (even by Western Electric) that they thought it was a done deal. Some industry insiders that I know, who have direct contact with employees at Western Electric were able to confirmed the transaction never went through however, due to a number of obstacles. So, it appears the old EI equipment is sitting in storage off site at a location close to the old factory. Hopefully, the new government will allow the equipment to be purchased by a tube manufacturer in the future and allow the equipment to leave the country, but right now it's sitting idle in storage.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Zoot Horn wrote: So, it appears the old EI equipment is sitting in storage off site at a location close to the old factory. Hopefully, the new government will allow the equipment to be purchased by a tube manufacturer in the future and allow the equipment to leave the country, but right now it's sitting idle in storage.

Thank you for the time you spent researching this George. Good info!

Maybe a letter writing campaign to Western Electric and the new government would help show there's an avenue for $$ to be made. Usually new jobs is enough to stir people into action. Let's hope Westrex can work it out and begin production again.

I read yesterday that LP production is almost at a saturation point world wide due to the lack of new machinery to press LPs. It seems the cost of producing new presses is so high no one, at least at this time can afford it. Folks that are pressing them now have local machine shops committed to making repairs so they can stay up and running.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:22 pm

hewlew1 wrote:Yes Greg lives in Michigan and he is a regular on the Carversite. He goes by the name Nahash5150

I don't know if I'm welcome over there. I reckon we'll see.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

stevek

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Does your amp use the EDCOR XPP10-8-8K output transformer?
Steve
Carver M500t(9/14), Carver M500t(8/12), Benchmark USB Preamp (10/10), biamped Emerald Physics CS-2 (7/14), Sony CDP-CE505,
Sonos Zone Player ZP90 (9/11), Sonos Play:3(9/11), Sonos Bridge(9/11), Qnap TS-219P+ Music Server(9/11). Spares:
Sunfire CRM-2 (2010), Decware SE34I.3 (11/13)
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:38 pm

EMO 805 in my CF amps-- at least that is what is on the bottom of the transformer label(output)

Second page of this thread--pics of one of mine wuth auricaps.
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:15 pm

YO Jimmy after you get done tokin up and you type the word wuth does you spell checker function alert you to the fact that you are fucked up? I just couldn't resist breakin your balls LMFAO
Last edited by hewlew1 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:21 pm

stevek wrote:Does your amp use the EDCOR XPP10-8-8K output transformer?
Steve

If I remember those were used as well as another transformer George refers to,the ones you speak of I believe had the multiple taps.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)