FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 am

Carver VT

<<

MRHP

TFM-55

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Carver VT

frankieD wrote:BTW I had a pair of the BB 20's at CF13 and had nothing but compliments from everybody that stopped by. I think they sound great, maybe I should look at the transformer so I can be disappointed... :lol: :lol:

haters.jpg

Eric, I couldn't have said it better !!

Thank you![/quote]

You are welcome Mr FrankieD and Ill take that as a very nice compliment because you are hard to please. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Lightstar serial #0008
Lightstar serial #0008
Carver Black Magic 20/pair
300x2
SD/A 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TT
ProJect TT Tube preamp
Technics RS-1500US Reel to Reel
DQ-6c's
DQ-20's
JL Audio 12W7's
After showing SNOOP65 a set of outrageously expensive tubes on ebay he says:
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:22 am

FYI:

These were the OPTs used in the CarverFest amps: Edcore XPP10-8-8K (EM0805 was also used, not sure of the differences)

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Chauss wrote:The measurements he posted where not the ones I saw on the screen for the amps being tuned by the BobFather....all I saw was perfect sine waves??? Not notched distortion like in that post. But like all tests.....if you are only concerned with the results-not the test criteria - it was not much of a test. one can always produce the desired results with variable input....

First of all anyone who would call themselves 'Amplifier Experts' and didn't listen to a test/review example ain't much of an expert. Surely 'IF' they new 'anything' about amplifiers they would have looked at the circuit and mentioned what was up with it.

Secondly, if it was in for repair did he find issues/problems? If not they're not much of an 'amplifier expert' now are they? Betcha they have either overdriven the tubes or there is something mis-wired from EMO.

Also bet he never finds out what is wrong with it.

Amplifier Expert my ass!

ray

I've got mine in my rig beside a Lightstar and it holds its own. That my friends is damn good company.
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 pm

TNRabbit wrote:FYI:

These were the OPTs used in the CarverFest amps: Edcore XPP10-8-8K (EM0805 was also used, not sure of the differences)

[

2 different OPTs were available, my understanding at the time was one was wound specially for Bob, the other was not. But don't hold me to it, that was second hand info even then.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:13 pm

The EMO805 has 3 taps on the primary side with a 10 k primary and an 8 ohm secondary this one was wound specifically for bob
The XPP10-8-8K has 5 taps on the primary side with an 8 K primary and an 8 ohm secondary which is stock from Edcor
This is what I remember being discused
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:42 pm

See George Harry does know it all. Well done Harry!!!!

An interesting side note. On my amplifier that has been modded when the bridge is engaged it will over drive if I connect 2 ICs to the input and shut down. Disconnecting the second IC results in the bridge running fine..... Lots of Bobwatts. Maybe the bridge is active on said amplifier causing issues and the 'techs' can't see it?
Magnaryder

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Magnaryder wrote:
Chauss wrote:The measurements he posted where not the ones I saw on the screen for the amps being tuned by the BobFather....all I saw was perfect sine waves??? Not notched distortion like in that post. But like all tests.....if you are only concerned with the results-not the test criteria - it was not much of a test. one can always produce the desired results with variable input....

First of all anyone who would call themselves 'Amplifier Experts' and didn't listen to a test/review example ain't much of an expert. Surely 'IF' they new 'anything' about amplifiers they would have looked at the circuit and mentioned what was up with it.

Secondly, if it was in for repair did he find issues/problems? If not they're not much of an 'amplifier expert' now are they? Betcha they have either overdriven the tubes or there is something mis-wired from EMO.

Amplifier Expert my ass!

ray

I've got mine in my rig beside a Lightstar and it holds its own. That my friends is damn good company.

Yes, but the amp Mark was repairing is one of the factory-made VT-20s, not a CF amp (different OPTs).
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:48 pm

See,, I told ya'll that Harry knows his shite!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Magnaryder wrote:

Amplifier Expert my ass!

ray

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> I can also say my CF amp can hold it's head high next to my Lightstar! It will have you wondering real hard if it is a match to the Lightstar until you plug the Lightstar back in. Damn good little amp. How cares what bass pig thinks, he didn't listen.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Harry is correct on that, remember hearing that also!! :-k
Carver M-4.0t &Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17 sda390t jolida jd 100A & 2 pairs of JBL L96 JBL 4401 & Carverfest vacuum tube amp & Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:59 am

ba humbug
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

stevek

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:20 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Yes, but the amp Mark was repairing is one of the factory-made VT-20s, not a CF amp (different OPTs).

Basspig was not repairing the amp, he was just bench testing it.

If the VT-20s OPTs have specs similar to the XPP10-8-8K, 70~18,000hz frequency response, the waveforms Basspig measured would not surprise me. That spec tells me that Edcor did not design the OPT to operate below 70hz.

Does anybody know the specs of the EM0805?

The EM0805 OPT and the XPP10-8-8K OPT were both used in Carver Fest amps. At this point we do not know what specs Emotiva used to source the VT-20 OPTs, EM0805 specs or XPP10-8-8K specs. But the picture of the VT-20 OPT does not look like either one.
Steve
Decware SE34I.3 (11/13), Benchmark USB Preamp (10/10), Klipsch Forte II (5/13) , Sony CDP-CE505,
Sonos Zone Player ZP90 (9/11), Sonos Play:3(9/11), Sonos Bridge(9/11), Qnap TS-219P+ Music Server(9/11).
Living Room: Sonos, Sunfire 300X2(10/10), Sunfire Subwoofer MkII (2010), Sunfire CRM-2 (2010)
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:12 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Yes, but the amp Mark was repairing is one of the factory-made VT-20s, not a CF amp (different OPTs).

It should have had an edge being converted to run 12ax7s. The production models have a volume control also, that is and of itself may contribute to some noise.

ray
Magnaryder

Previous

Return to Carver Tubes