Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Vintage Hi Fi and my little CF amp

Whatever you say,,,PJ boy! :D
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:13 pm

At least I'm smart enough to wear PJ's. Birthday Suit Boy!
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:56 pm

I honestly did not see that one comin,,and for the record--I had appropriate swimwear on.
<<

WI. Cheese Queen

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Already you two it's enough!
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Since you are a self professed counselor, go answer the phone one of your patients is calling :-" . Love you too Mel.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 pm

She said she loves her corn hole partner too :lol:
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:09 pm

This weekend Sherry and I ventured to VHFofP to pick up a Pioneer receiver Tom just finished for me. A relay in the power supply went bad it seems. While there TheBearJew replaced one of those little yellow cap with a polystyrene unit. I'll be working on this one next. I might try to do the mods in stages, just to see which changes are the most audible...to me at least. Mark, where should I start?

Today is Veteran's Day. My THANKS to all of you other Vet's out there. I have today off. I raked leaves for 3 1/2 hours so I'm doing something for me and giving a listen to some righteous tunes.

I'm doing a side be side comparison of my CF amps. What a difference. I had been comparing it to my Lightstar Reference 2.0. Before mods, the sound of the CF was veiled and crowded. After mods the mids have become very articulate. You can hear the space around each instrument. Bass is extended and accurate, it doesn't go into the basement like Lightstar does but it has become VERY respectable. If it wasn't being compared to Lightstar you might not even notice. The highs(what I can hear of them) are delicate and airy, but cymbals have authority when called for.

I'm listening a Holly Cole Trio disc pirated from Angelo 2 years ago. Holly sounds like she's right in the room with me. I had Sara K in earlier. I'm looking for my copy of Famous Blue Raincoat to play next.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Ray,

On a consumer SS unit, it'd depend a bit on it's age. If it's older, then often much can be gained sonically with newer op-amps. And then either way, the coupling caps between stages can be looked into. Sometime, beefing the PS at key points might help. By key points, I'm thinking of not just at the PS itself, but also closer to some important amplifier points. When working with traces on PC boards though, the spacing is always a problem. Hanging in way big parts all over is likely to take you down a slippery slope on the realibility.

But you have to ask yourself before jumping in, is it worth it? The topology is what it is and parts improvement can only raise its quality in small steps. And another aspect is can you get a schematic? It's much easier to identify key points that it may be held back when you can look at the layout on paper and ponder the parts.

Mark
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 pm

radioeng2 wrote: Mark responded 'Ray....Hanging in way big parts all over is likely to take you down a slippery slope on the realibility.' Mark

Mark, I'm going to place it in the spot vacated by the other cap and hot glue it to the chassis.

[quote="radioeng2'] But you have to ask yourself before jumping in, is it worth it? The topology is what it is and parts improvement can only raise its quality in small steps. And another aspect is can you get a schematic? It's much easier to identify key points that it may be held back when you can look at the layout on paper and ponder the parts.Mark[/quote]

Got the schematic and looking at the amp I've replaced all of the elecrtolytics except for the 47uf and the little yellow ones that I'm going to replace with polystyrenes Beemers so kindly gave me this past weekend. Funny, I have 6 470K Tantalum resistors that came from PartsXonnection last week. I guess I'll order some 47Ks to replace the other resistors you suggested and other than the silver over 7-9s wire, RCAs and binding posts that should do it.

Listening to World Wide Live-Scorpions on my new to me Ariston TT. Life is good!! It's amazing how good my Shure V15 type III G sounds. I remember buying it at our base exchange in May of 1976. I haven't used it in a while. Yesterday it sounded like ass. Today it's better. Did it break me in?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:35 pm

A little while ago Sherry and I went to Pittsburgh to visit Beemers and Huffman and to hang out at VHFofP. I mucked up a little cap on one of my CF amps and while we were there TheBearJew replaced the cap. Beemers so graciously gave me poly caps to replace the little yellow caps in the amps. I also managed to eek out a set of vintage Shugoung 6ax7s to replace the Russian tubes I had in there. We also worked out a deal on my Silver ALS loudspeakers for the Ariston TT with the Linn arm. Contemplating a cartridge change, Tom and I discussed different things I might try first. As I spent time listening I heard some things I didn't like (and didn't remember) about my V15 type III G and thought a new cart might fix. I had some tubes to install that might go a little way to help. In go the DPS 7DJ8s and that was all it took. The few rough edges the Shure cart had are gone and the bass that didn't go to the basement(like Lightstar) goes most of the way now. I put the Bugle Boys Mike gave me in the phono section, that really brought the Sunfire Tube pre to life. The 7DJ8s were made by EI for Tim deParavicini and carry his logo. With less than 15hours on them they still sound better than anything else I have.

If you have a Sunfire Tube pre, you gotta get some of these!!

ray

More on the EI tubes as they break in.

Got suggestions on the 12ax7s in the phono stage?
Magnaryder

<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:33 am

Lots of choices for 12AX7's. My current favorite is the Siemens 12AX7 . I also love Slyvania black plate triple mica 5751, the GE black triple mica 5751, RCA black plate 12AX7, Telefunken 12AX7 and Mullards 12AX7.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Snoop65 wrote:Lots of choices for 12AX7's. My current favorite is the Siemens 12AX7 . I also love Slyvania black plate triple mica 5751, the GE black triple mica 5751, RCA black plate 12AX7, Telefunken 12AX7 and Mullards 12AX7.

Thanks Snoop! I appreciate the recommendation!

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:23 pm

Magnaryder wrote: I had some tubes to install that might go a little way to help. In go the DPS 7DJ8s and that was all it took. The few rough edges the Shure cart had are gone and the bass that didn't go to the basement(like Lightstar) goes most of the way now. I put the Bugle Boys Mike gave me in the phono section, that really brought the Sunfire Tube pre to life. The 7DJ8s were made by EI for Tim deParavicini and carry his logo. With less than 15hours on them they still sound better than anything else I have.

If you have a Sunfire Tube pre, you gotta get some of these!!

More on the EI tubes as they break in.

update:

I found a Stereophile magazine interview with Mr. de Paravicini and these very tubes were mentioned during the conversation. He said he listened to each tube BEFORE his logo was placed on it. He also said it shouldn't be used in a circuit requiring a 6DJ8 since the filament voltage would be too low. Well, they just keep getting better!!

ray
Magnaryder

Previous

Return to Carver Tubes