FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 am

Platinum Amazings Lost Bass!

<<

talmadge3

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:44 am

Platinum Amazings Lost Bass!

My Amazings seem to have lost their bass. All woofers are working.I have tried everything. Swithched amps, pre amp wires and moved them around. Could it be crossovers?
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Re: Platinum Amazings Lost Bass!

Lost all bass so just ribbon are working? A fuse if they have one, capacitor next, then wires, then woofers. Or did the bass drasticly get reduced? Foam rot, and they need refoaming, but they would make poor and strange noises as the voice coils rub.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:44 pm

There are folks around here familiar with those crossovers just because of them being possible to blow up with all the power they need to get up and go. There are pics somewhere of us changing blown caps on one at the first CF as a matter of fact. Don't know if that opens the audio to the woofers or not but I'd sure look at the caps for that.

I believe that there is also white sandstone resistors on the crossover. I've seen on other speakers the lead break off right where it goes into the body of the resistor. You might look for that too.

If you'll pass along what happened right at the time of failure, that can help lead to the problem and the fix faster.

Mark
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 pm

do you have a test tone cd?
my inductors went out and passed highs to the woofers, also the big caps could be bad
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

talmadge3

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:26 am

Woofers are in good shape and are working. Bass is there but just drastically reduced. I was listening too music and left the room for a bathroom break. When I came back I began to notice it. I first thought maybe crossover or something got switched in my sunfire preamp. Thats when I tried everything as listed in my original post. At this point I believe it must be a crossover problem since I have tried everything else. Anybody know where I could get them rebuilt? Also they seem to be glued to the speakers? Pry them off?
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:35 am

I would suspect there are screws into the frame holding them in place. Someone with a pair handy know?

Do you have a volt meter? Know how to use it for resistance measurements?

Mark

PS...also, can you take some up close pictures and post them? You'll need a photobucket or similar account to link them here.
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:43 am

Hmmmm....'nother thought. It was normal and then suddenly not. Did you have one channels bass failed and not notice and then the second failed? Or did both go out at the same time?

Maybe we're chasin' something else. Do you have any secondary speakers to hook up and check to make sure you're getting bass from the electronics?

Mark
<<

talmadge3

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:14 am

At this point I think I had only one speaker with proper bass to begin with and then the other went out. I've only had the speakers about 6 months. I have switched amps and preamps with the same results.
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:27 am

OK...that clears the preliminary suspects then. So crossover issues are pretty likely. Sounds like you've already unscrewed and got the backs off, right? Depending on the exact version, I think there are some minor differences. Pics will help so of the guys that have these and have worked on them pick out possible issues.

Exploded caps and broken resistors, wires that have come off are the kind of thing we're looking for. If it goes as far as having to remove and ship it off, then you're going to want photos to refer back to and you'd probably want to attach some markings or numbers on stuff so you can get it back properly.

One thing I do when it's not too many wires is use a magic marker and draw bands around the wire and then make similar marks close to where it came off for instance.

Along with the VOM question, do you have a soldering iron and know how to use it? Where you located?

Mark
<<

talmadge3

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:44 am

I'm in the Charlotte area. Waxhaw, NC to be specific. I do have a soldering iron and can use it ok. Not pretty but functional! I will get some pictures later today.
<<

talmadge3

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:46 am

By the way, thanks for the help!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:55 am

I'll be down in your area next week for work. I have any spare time I'll look you up.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Hey Gary that'd be really amazing of you! Maybe we can figure out in advance anything needed. You know the specifics real good, know exactly what they should sound like and know where to go for more info if needed too.

If I can help from here, I'd be glad to do too. Need to re-establish the tunes!

Mark

PS...glad to help Talmadge! By the way, with a volt meter we could working from pictures and circuit diagrams probably tell you exactly where to place the probes and establish where audio is and isn't.
<<

talmadge3

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Gary
That's really nice to offer! I don't want to put you out but if you do have time let me know. My # is 704 776 0380.
Thanks
<<

Robert R

TFM-45

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:48 pm

So they failed 6 months apart. The bass crossover in earlier Plats consists of just two parts - a choke coil (looks like a little transformer) across the input, to shunt out high frequencies. Unlikely the choke is bad.The second is a large non-polar electrolytic capacitor in series, to limit the passage of high frequencies, so only bass is left. [All that other stuff is for the ribbons.] If the choke opens you'd still have bass, but if the cap opens (opens electrically that is, and they do at this age, though you are unlikely to see swelling or leakage in these), you get no bass at all - essentially the woofers are connected to nothing. And if the cap is near but not completely dead you'd get a little bass, which is what you have. If you jumper the big cap the bass would return, along with some unwanted midrange to all the woofers. It's a simple test, and harmless if done properly. No bass return, cap probably OK. Don't let the midrange from the woofers fool you - you should have low bass, too, and plenty of it.

In later Platinums, the ones with three controls at the bottom rear, there is also a high-wattage 8 ohm variable resistor in series. Unlikely both of these would fail, unless you've been whomping the living Hell out of them. But again, it can be bypassed with a jumper to test if it's open. Bass would be same as if the control is up all the way (which is where most guys keep them, anyway).

Whatever you do, don't jumper the choke - that would present your power amp with a look at about a zero ohm load. It won't like that, at all.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
Next

Return to Carver Speakers