FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:46 am

Sunfire Signature Stereo DC risk?

<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Sunfire Signature Stereo DC risk?

surdo wrote:I read about this somewhere that the "lab" RCA input doesn't have any protection from DC coming from a faulty pre-amp. Sorry I don't know much about electronics, by "cap" do you mean capacitor? I guess the balanced inputs are OK and I'll be using these mainly with a mixer.

Another doubt I have about the sunfire. I read in various posts about people sending their amps to very specific people for repair and that circuit diagrams are held by a select few. I live in Brazil and won't be able to send my amp to the states if something breaks. Do you think I'll be left with a lame duck if the amp needs repair, or are these amps pretty simple to fix by a good tech?

Cheers

Correct. The "Lab" input does not have any protection. The "Normal" does. If you are using a source you know will not send a bad signal, as if you were in a lab, then you will get more true sound from the amp using the "Lab" because it bypasses the protection stuff.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 pm

The lack of support & your remote location could put a damper on that amp purchase.....no service manuals a9vailable & it's sort of a different topology from the norm....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:33 am

Well , there is bill that knows and has sunfire knowledge, for the west coast, and then tom who also has a thumb into sunfire schematics for those on the east coast. But a guy would have to ship, and i would suspect a replacement may be cheaper than shipping. Idk. And thats not selling rolland short either. He knows a thing or two about sunfire.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 am

angelod307 wrote:Well , there is bill that knows and has sunfire knowledge, for the west coast, and then tom who also has a thumb into sunfire schematics for those on the east coast. But a guy would have to ship, and i would suspect a replacement may be cheaper than shipping. Idk. And thats not selling rolland short either. He knows a thing or two about sunfire.

The OP is in BRAZIL--
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

surdo

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:02 am

Got in contact with a hi-fi repair shop in Rio that takes jobs from around the country and they said they can service and repair Carver/Sunfire gear and switching power supply amps in general. I suppose that doesn't guarantee anything if something goes wrong, but it's a start and the shop has been in business for quite a few years. Also, Bill Flannery replied and said that the risk does exist with all DC coupled amps but that in his experience it's a very rare occurrence. He also went on to say how well built the Sunfires are, etc. With this in mind and with the input from everyone above - decided to go ahead. Managed to negotiate a better price and bought it last night, should take a week to arrive. Thanks everyone for your help! I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:05 am

Congrats, can't go wrong with a Sunfire! =D> =D>
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)