FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:43 pm

CF Amp Mods

<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: CF Amp Mods

I have an EI EL 84 NOS,,only one-let me know if you want it.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:I have an EI EL 84 NOS,,only one-let me know if you want it.

Thanks George!

I've got folks looking for another stereo with Telefunkens, maybe I'll end up with a set. I have a really nice set of Hammonds and would like another quad for the other amp since I run them bridged.

I still can't find that other tube. Dammit!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Tonight I've been doing some serious listening to my rig. The tubes I've rolled into the Sunfire tube pre have settled in nicely. I really like the green dot Lindal blackplates, although I do plan to roll ALL of the others through at some time down the road. Earlier while playing SaraK I noticed the 'air' or imagined distance between instruments has become very defined. The bass is going deeper and more 'slam' . The mids are more articulate and the highs are just perfect. I couldn't ask for a better combination. I played some LPs I hadn't listened to in a while and noticed how wondeful a great LP can sound. I played Stereophile's LP of Liszt's piano sonatas. The piano sounded like I thought it should and the recording is stellar. I played an old LP called Carillion Bells that was recorded in Prague. I didn't like it before...hell I still don't like it but it does resolve bells quite well. Right now I'm listening to a fresh copy of Black Sabbath's debut LP on 180gm vinyl. I love those fucking guys, took me right back to the '70s. I remember playing some of that record on a juke box in the basement of the Polish club in Johnstown, Pa on a trip over there in '71 or'72. Rocked the fucking place. Sounds better today. WAAY better playback equipment.

Today's rig:
Ariston RD-40 w/Linn Basik arm/Shure V15 typeIII G cart
Sunfire Tube Pre/ deParavicini 7DJ8s/Lindal green dot blackplate 12AX7s
CarverFest 20watt amp/Hammond el84s vintage 6AX7s/Obbligatto film caps/Modded power supply caps/Mills resistors
Klipsch Fortes/modded/Mills resistors and Obbligatto caps/
CarverAudio interconnects
DIY Speaker and power cables.

Colour me impressed

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Tonight Sherry and I spent a quiet evening at home listening to some great tunes. I've been playing Mark's CF discs in order one after the other. I have to tell you this little amp sounds great, it just keeps getting better and better. I've been rolling different makes of EL84s through it and all of the usual suspects sound great, each sporting their own brand of vintage cool. I have a quad of 1963 Telefunken EL84s rolled in now, they sound every bit as good as you've heard they do.
I prefer my Hammonds, they just suit what I like to hear better, or they suit the mods I've made to the amp better. 6 one, half a dozen the other as my Pops would say. That was one of my goals when I began the mods, to see if rolling caps and resistors would result in the exemplary sound gained from vintage tubes without the cost and an ability to replicate that sound with modern parts. Now all I have to buy is a good set of modern tubes.

Is anyone bringing an unmodded CF amp to CarverFest? I'd like to do a side by side listening session. Just 'cause.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Ray.
Planning to bring mine- we can burn some tubes together! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:42 am

Chauss wrote:Ray.
Planning to bring mine- we can burn some tubes together! :D

So that's what the kids call it these days...tube burning

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:42 am

I was hoping Al would chime in. He's running a TAD set and I'd really like to hear them. Thanks for the replies guys. Looking forward to hearing what y'all are bringing.

ray
Last edited by Magnaryder on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnaryder

<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:55 am

I will have mine there too Ray!! :D
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 Amazing speakers in natural oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Douglas connection cables
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Does anyone know what is involved in the 12ax7 CarverFest amp conversion? It seems to me having so many more tube rolling options would be more advantageous. Is the pin-out of the 6ax7 the same as the 12ax7? Anyone.....Markie?

ray
Magnaryder

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Magnaryder wrote:Does anyone know what is involved in the 12ax7 CarverFest amp conversion? It seems to me having so many more tube rolling options would be more advantageous. Is the pin-out of the 6ax7 the same as the 12ax7? Anyone.....Markie?

ray

Yes , it is explained by alex. Tie the two heater wire together that are seperate now, move the wire removed to the other side of the tube, easy like..

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=15157
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks, Angelo!!!

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Converting to ax7's. Or caps? Where do y'all think the bang for the buck would lie?
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:Converting to ax7's. Or caps? Where do y'all think the bang for the buck would lie?

One of my goals was hoping to be able to answer that question. If I had to answer now it would be the caps. Up to this point modding my amps the .1uf cap change has had the most impact on the sonics. Looking back I'd say roll caps in the power supply and the audio change. Total cost<$40US IIRC.

rock and roll baby

ray

I'm anxious to see if I can hear any difference between my CF amp and an unmodded CF amp.
Magnaryder

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:10 pm

I am going to have to convert mine to 12AX7 when the current 6AX7's shuggys start to get fuzzy sounding.....they are unobtainium right now- unless they only run them once every few years? - :-s Had a "back-order" for them in place with tube store for over 6 months, but they just sent an email a week or 2 ago and said they would no longer be able to fulfill. :( I liked the sound just as it is...
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:47 pm

for 12AX7 TUBE

wire to pin 9 (grey)
wire to pin 4 (green)
jumper pin 4 to 5
Attachments
029 (2).JPG
Last edited by mbskeam on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)