Sunfire Signature Stereo DC risk?

Carver Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
thuffman03
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Re: Sunfire Signature Stereo DC risk?

Post by thuffman03 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm

surdo wrote:I read about this somewhere that the "lab" RCA input doesn't have any protection from DC coming from a faulty pre-amp. Sorry I don't know much about electronics, by "cap" do you mean capacitor? I guess the balanced inputs are OK and I'll be using these mainly with a mixer.

Another doubt I have about the sunfire. I read in various posts about people sending their amps to very specific people for repair and that circuit diagrams are held by a select few. I live in Brazil and won't be able to send my amp to the states if something breaks. Do you think I'll be left with a lame duck if the amp needs repair, or are these amps pretty simple to fix by a good tech?

Cheers
Correct. The "Lab" input does not have any protection. The "Normal" does. If you are using a source you know will not send a bad signal, as if you were in a lab, then you will get more true sound from the amp using the "Lab" because it bypasses the protection stuff.
Some cool Carver stuff!

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 pm

The lack of support & your remote location could put a damper on that amp purchase.....no service manuals a9vailable & it's sort of a different topology from the norm....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:33 am

Well , there is bill that knows and has sunfire knowledge, for the west coast, and then tom who also has a thumb into sunfire schematics for those on the east coast. But a guy would have to ship, and i would suspect a replacement may be cheaper than shipping. Idk. And thats not selling rolland short either. He knows a thing or two about sunfire.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 am

angelod307 wrote:Well , there is bill that knows and has sunfire knowledge, for the west coast, and then tom who also has a thumb into sunfire schematics for those on the east coast. But a guy would have to ship, and i would suspect a replacement may be cheaper than shipping. Idk. And thats not selling rolland short either. He knows a thing or two about sunfire.
The OP is in BRAZIL--
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

surdo

Post by surdo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:02 am

Got in contact with a hi-fi repair shop in Rio that takes jobs from around the country and they said they can service and repair Carver/Sunfire gear and switching power supply amps in general. I suppose that doesn't guarantee anything if something goes wrong, but it's a start and the shop has been in business for quite a few years. Also, Bill Flannery replied and said that the risk does exist with all DC coupled amps but that in his experience it's a very rare occurrence. He also went on to say how well built the Sunfires are, etc. With this in mind and with the input from everyone above - decided to go ahead. Managed to negotiate a better price and bought it last night, should take a week to arrive. Thanks everyone for your help! I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:05 am

Congrats, can't go wrong with a Sunfire! =D> =D>
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP