FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:32 pm

Taking a bite out of the olive branch...

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Taking a bite out of the olive branch...

Oh my. Ready for the "who's your......" Line now
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Daddyjt

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re:

treitz3 wrote:Hello Mark and welcome to the Carver forum. Glad to see you here.

What kind of gear are you running, if you don't mind me asking? Please tell about yourself and how you got into the hobby...

Tom

Thanks for the welcome Tom!

Started my audio journey in highschool. Snagged a hand-me-down Sanyo quadraphonic tube receiver from my parents in the mid 80's, and built some boxes for a pair of 6x9 car triax speakers, and I was off and running.

Detoured (HEAVILY) into car audio in the late 80's - at my peak, I had four Rockford Pro 12s in an acrylic dual band pass push-pull, driven by a Rockford Power 1000. 6" in the doors, with 1" silk domes run by a Power 650.

Then got back into home audio, and started building a home theater system, bit by bit. My first Carver piece was an A 400x. I was blown away by the sound of a separate amp running my mains (Polk LS 70s, at the time), vs the receiver. Incidentally, I think the A 400x is one of the most underrated Carver pieces out there... I karma'd the 400x off on the other site, and in a weird twist of fate, it found it's way back to me a year later...

Anyway, my next Carver piece was a TFM 55x (which I still have, and refreshed last year). That thing is a powerhouse. I picked up a second one a few months ago - I'll get to the refresh someday... Fast forward to about a year and a half ago. I picked up a M1.0t mkII off eBay, and went hunting for some info, and found Carversite. Full on OCCD took hold, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I have REALLY enjoyed my journey into becoming tech savy. I know my way around the 500t pretty well - I've done 7 full mkII upgrades, and have 3 in my que right now. I karma'd off my first two mkII mods on the other site, and when I get caught up, plan to do a couple for myself. I also plan to do my first 1.0t mkII this spring.

Anyway, that's a bit about my audio journey \:D/
HT = M1.0t mkII (x2) bi-amped to Klipsh RF 7 mains, M1.0t mkII to Klipsch RC 7 center, AV 705x to Klipsch RC 7 surrounds (x4). Marantz 7005 pre/processor, oppo 105 & 95, ProJect TT, Project tube phono stage, Wu WA 6, sharp Aquois 70". Kimber TC 8, Kimber silver streak, Doug's.

2ch rig = Silver 9t pair to Kappa 8.1, Bill D C1, oppo 95. (2 ch rig is in perpetual state of disarray, due to recapping 9ts)

Closet/bench = M1.0t mkII, M500t mkII (x2), M500t Hashy refresh, M500t Bill D refresh, TFM 55x me refresh (x2), A 400x, PT 2.0t, C1.
<<

Daddyjt

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:23 am

angelod307 wrote:Howdy there partner!

Thanks for the welcome, Angelo!
HT = M1.0t mkII (x2) bi-amped to Klipsh RF 7 mains, M1.0t mkII to Klipsch RC 7 center, AV 705x to Klipsch RC 7 surrounds (x4). Marantz 7005 pre/processor, oppo 105 & 95, ProJect TT, Project tube phono stage, Wu WA 6, sharp Aquois 70". Kimber TC 8, Kimber silver streak, Doug's.

2ch rig = Silver 9t pair to Kappa 8.1, Bill D C1, oppo 95. (2 ch rig is in perpetual state of disarray, due to recapping 9ts)

Closet/bench = M1.0t mkII, M500t mkII (x2), M500t Hashy refresh, M500t Bill D refresh, TFM 55x me refresh (x2), A 400x, PT 2.0t, C1.
<<

Daddyjt

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:30 am

hewlew1 wrote:Hey Mark, Welcome to the forum. Quite a gesture on your part giving amps away after you refurb them. Very nice =D>
Harry

Thanks, Harry. I love doing the refresh and mkII mods, but I have all the amps I need (wow - did I REALLY just say that?) just like to spread the musical bliss:-)

<<

Daddyjt

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:31 am

Nahash5150 wrote:Mark is a gentleman and a scholar.

Long live brutha. =D>

Thanks Greg! If I'm a scholar, then you're the PROFESSOR!

<<

Daddyjt

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:35 am

Shortcake wrote:
Daddyjt wrote:Hello out there. In the interest of promoting some good will between the 2 sites, I am jumping over to say hi.

I joined Carversite about a year and a half ago, because I bought a 1.0t mkII off eBay, and wanted to know what I had on my hands. I pretty much lurked over there till about a year ago, when the "bug" really bit me. Since then, I've pretty much shelved all my other hobbies, and given in to the "dark side" of Carver tech. Thanks to the likes of Hashy, Rich, Dennis and James (Retriever), my knowledge has grown exponentially - to the point that I actually realize just how little I really know.

My favorite pastime is buying amps, upgrading/refreshing them, and giving them away .

I enjoy all types of music, except new rap(I actually like some of the old rap). I am a HUGE (I cannot stress that enough) movie buff, and will routinely spout movie quotes that most people will interpret as me just being a weirdo.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting some good people over here, and doing my part to mend the fences...

Mark

Giving away amps? I don't recall who was my last favorite, but you just took the lead. (how much ass kissing does it take lol???)

Welcome!

Thanks Shortcake - your post at Carversite inspired me to drop in over here. I always do random drawings, but nice comments can get you additional entrys:-)

<<

Daddyjt

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:37 am

radioeng2 wrote:Well, I suppose it's too late now. Ya' mighta wanted to ease into the admission and all. Putting it right out there has a lot of nerve and all. I mean, the name Mark around here can get you in significant hot water.

Welcome in any case!

Mark

Thanks for the welcome - and I don't think they'll confuse us... I'm the sarcastic one!

<<

Daddyjt

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:40 am

PDR wrote:Nice.....a welcome thats heartfelt.......cool.
Its a great forum....been a member for many years....

Thanks Perry - didn't know you were over here too!

Just saw a news story on Rob Ford - I wanna party with that guy:-)

<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:34 am

Welcome aboard. =D>
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:38 am

Welcome, Mark!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:26 am

Welcome Mark!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:40 am

Good to see you...AGAIN!!! WELCOME!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:11 pm

WELCOME!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Welcome!! =D> =D> I don't do any repairs myself but use to watch the master (Rita) work on Carver gear almost on a daily basis for a little while. I still drop by Bill's about once a week to see what he's got goin' on, fun stuff! I hear many great things about the MK-II amps but haven't had the pleasure of hearing one myself. I've pretty much been bit by the Sunfire bug as they seem to match very well with my Klipsch speakers.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Nice introduction!

Hey Mark. It sounds like you have had a blast along your audio journey that like me, started at an early age. For me, the seed was planted by my Uncle Tommy when he had some small tube amps powering a pair of home made Klipshorn type speakers that towered well above me at the time. He ended up donating them to the church when he died to provide sound to the auditorium. Anyhoo, been hooked on music and its reproduction ever since.

In High School, I ran the sound board for all of the concerts as well as a guy you may have seen around the block a time or two [David Grohl from Nirvana, Foo Fighters, etc.] and had what I thought was one heck of a system assembled. Complete with this new fandangled thing called a CD player. Haha, even had a LD player and somehow managed to slip by the parents a couple of Playboy LD's. Man, those were the days...

Fast forward to today, I am still heavily involved in musical reproduction. I chat often with industry insiders, reviewers, manufacturers and industry leaders and my current system makes the one I had in high school look like a K-Mart blue light special. Okay, maybe not that bad but suffice it to say that I have come a loooooooooooooong way since then with my audio journey. Like you, I have had a blast along the way.

Wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy the music and once again, welcome to the forum. Glad to see you made it and I look forward to talking shop with you.

Tom
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
PreviousNext

Return to "The Welcome Mat"