FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:25 pm

EndersShadow's setup

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Re: EndersShadow's setup

watch some of the online sellers that are nearby you- there is a frys electronics in my area that a friend scored 3 x 50" tv's for 399/ ea. they are no name brand, but are HD and they do not look nor work badly at all!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Dan are we talkin some of them good Japanese or Korean TV's
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Chauss wrote:watch some of the online sellers that are nearby you- there is a frys electronics in my area that a friend scored 3 x 50" tv's for 399/ ea. they are no name brand, but are HD and they do not look nor work badly at all!

Yeah, I will do that.

I also have a pawn shop connection as well, so I may go look there to see whats around....

I am in no major rush.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun May 10, 2015 9:56 am

Ok, so I got the new rack yesterday and got it installed.

It was quite easy... but it normally is when you use child labor :smile:

Here are some in progress shots:

Partially assembled

The cables from the old setup:

Starting to figure out what goes where:

Got it where I want, time to start wiring things...

Its final home:

And then the funny stuff....

I've been dealing with some sort of hum from my system since I put the B&K in. I attributed it to the processor whine I read about as it only really came on when the B&K was in sleep mode and the amp was still on.

I didn't notice it (I thought) when music was playing.

So after installing everything back in the noise got NOTICEABLE worse. I switched from XLR to RCA from the DacMagic and it got a "bit" better. Then I tried Coaxial direct into the B&K and it got even better. But its still there. Its noticeable when you hit those quiet peaks in songs or when one fades out and another back in.

I'd love some help diagnosing it better. Here is what I am wondering:

1. I have the B&K tied into the APC and the Parasound into the Furman. Could that be it? Both those units are plugged into the same outlet on the wall, but maybe thats what it is?
2. I've factory reset the B&K and basically have it setup to use "Stereo" with NO EQ, just have set crossovers thats it. Any suggestions from the folks with the Reference 50 much appreciated ( @mantis )

So for now I removed the DacMagic and am just trying a more pure signal path.

Here is what we have:

HTPC -> Black Cat Veloce Coaxial cable -> B&K Reference 50 -> Douglass Connection RCA -> Parasound HCA-1200ii -> Douglass Connection speaker cables (banana's on amp end, spades on speaker)

And to the way it looks now all said and done. The 3 pictures on the left were purchased by my wife from a friend. I still plan to get my wall treatments up and may use canvas w/ posters printed on them. Thinking something FireFly, Master Chief, and then maybe the famous hair blowing back in chair picture & Star Wars.....

Here are the internals of the computer. Its a custom build I've kept up with a bit over the years. I need to just buy a couple 3TB Hard drives to replace the 2 640's and 1TB I have in there now.

"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

fill35U

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun May 10, 2015 11:55 am

Nice rack, Dan! :)

From what I've *read*, it sure acts like the infamous B&K processor whine.

For a cheap attempt at a fix, I'd suggest the longest cheapest RCA's you can find (50'?). Just bundle/stow them neatly. The extra capacitance of the long run will drop some of your theoretically audible highest frequencies, but more so the ultrasonic junk and resulting audible harmonics. Just consider it a tube buffer! :lol:

The Dacmagic Plus goes to 100kHz, so I could see even direct from the B&K into the Dacmagic possibly perpetuating whine. What model is your Dacmagic? Does it have any filtering options?

If your noise is hum from a ground loop, you know the drill. Start unplugging components one at a time until the noise changes. No guarantee that those receps are both wired the same or correctly, have you checked? I'd be leery of the powered sub- is it plugged into it's own recep, or one of the conditioners? Does changing that change the hum?
Living room system: TGP IV, TX-8r, PT-2400(x6), PM-1.5a(x3), TFM-45(x2), TFM-55

Spares/projects: C-1, C-9, M-400, PM-350(x2), M-1.5t, PT-1800(x4), TGP I, Architectural True Sub, pm420

Don't call amp mutilators "butchers"- butchers are highly skilled professionals.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun May 10, 2015 4:36 pm

fill35U wrote:Nice rack, Dan! :)

From what I've *read*, it sure acts like the infamous B&K processor whine.

Yeah, thats kinda what I think it is... It just stinks its kinda there with low volume music (which is what I do a lot of here). If I didnt know what to listen to not a big deal, if I didnt sit less than 1 1/2 foot from the tweeter it wouldnt be noticeable... but well I do hehehehe...

fill35U wrote:For a cheap attempt at a fix, I'd suggest the longest cheapest RCA's you can find (50'?). Just bundle/stow them neatly. The extra capacitance of the long run will drop some of your theoretically audible highest frequencies, but more so the ultrasonic junk and resulting audible harmonics. Just consider it a tube buffer! :lol:

Might try that later for giggles....

fill35U wrote:The Dacmagic Plus goes to 100kHz, so I could see even direct from the B&K into the Dacmagic possibly perpetuating whine. What model is your Dacmagic? Does it have any filtering options?

Its the original Azur DacMagic. Its got some filtering options that I've never played with but don't think they are the ones your thinking about...

fill35U wrote:If your noise is hum from a ground loop, you know the drill. Start unplugging components one at a time until the noise changes. No guarantee that those receps are both wired the same or correctly, have you checked? I'd be leery of the powered sub- is it plugged into it's own recep, or one of the conditioners? Does changing that change the hum?

Yeah I haven't done the total unplug as the second the B&K is off the noise is gone. Amp, Computer and sub still on. The sub is plugged into the APC. I unplugged it as well as the LFE cord and it still was making noise through the tweeters with all that done....

I haven't pulled the outlet but this noise wasnt present with my other diy pre-amp so I'm fairly certain its the B&K just weird the DacMagic causes it to get worse. Not sure if the XLR signal just makes it worse or what...

For now I'm just going to let it alone....
Previous

Return to List / Update Your System