FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:07 am

Sunfire Cin. Grand vs. Cin. Grand Sig.

<<

BobSmi57

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:57 am

Sunfire Cin. Grand vs. Cin. Grand Sig.

Hi guys. I'm new here. I would like to know if there is a difference in internal parts and sound quality between these two amps, other than the obvious doubling of power. I'm using a std. Cinema Grand to power my ALiii's and am thinking about upgrading to the Sig. Model(5x405). Thanks for your help.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Sunfire Cin. Grand vs. Cin. Grand Sig.

The main difference is the Sig model has more output devices. Probably upgraded caps & power supply as well.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

BobSmi57

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:06 pm

TNRabbit wrote:The main difference is the Sig model has more output devices. Probably upgraded caps & power supply as well.

Thanks for the info.
Bob
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:55 am

The difference between the two amps is really just power. I have owned both and the Cinema Grand and the Cinema Grand Signature and both have the same sound, but the Signature is double the power. Cinema Gran is 200 wpc while the Signature is at least 400 wpc into 8 ohms.

IMO, both are good amps and will power your speakers fine. You most likely not hear any difference and the volume level between them will be pretty close but you will not be taxing the Signature as much when you play it loud as it has more power in reserve.

Now I prefer the Sunfire 600 on ALIII's. I like the sound better. I think it is voiced differently for stereo and not for home theater. Just my opinion.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:22 am

Hey Bob where in SW Mi do you live I'm in the down river area
Ray
<<

BobSmi57

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:19 pm

thuffman03 wrote:The difference between the two amps is really just power. I have owned both and the Cinema Grand and the Cinema Grand Signature and both have the same sound, but the Signature is double the power. Cinema Gran is 200 wpc while the Signature is at least 400 wpc into 8 ohms.

IMO, both are good amps and will power your speakers fine. You most likely not hear any difference and the volume level between them will be pretty close but you will not be taxing the Signature as much when you play it loud as it has more power in reserve.

Now I prefer the Sunfire 600 on ALIII's. I like the sound better. I think it is voiced differently for stereo and not for home theater. Just my opinion.

I appreciate your opinion , since you owned both amps. You say they have the same sound, but the Sunfire 600 sounds better to you. Does the 600 stereo amp have the same sound as the 300 stereo amp? The 600x2 is really hard to find in good condition. Maybe I could bi-amp using 2 channels of the Cinema Grand for the bass, and use a 300x2 for the ribbons.
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:27 pm

BobSmi57 wrote:I appreciate your opinion , since you owned both amps. You say they have the same sound, but the Sunfire 600 sounds better to you. Does the 600 stereo amp have the same sound as the 300 stereo amp? The 600x2 is really hard to find in good condition. Maybe I could bi-amp using 2 channels of the Cinema Grand for the bass, and use a 300x2 for the ribbons.

Having owned a 300x2 (series 1), and now a 625x2 (series 2). For some reason I do believe that the 625x2 does sound better
EVEN at lower volumes.
I think that the mids are smother in the 625x2 than the 300x2.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

BobSmi57

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:31 pm

wrstps wrote:Hey Bob where in SW Mi do you live I'm in the down river area
Ray

I'm on the West side of the state, near St. Joseph.
<<

BobSmi57

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:39 pm

BrianT wrote:
BobSmi57 wrote:I appreciate your opinion , since you owned both amps. You say they have the same sound, but the Sunfire 600 sounds better to you. Does the 600 stereo amp have the same sound as the 300 stereo amp? The 600x2 is really hard to find in good condition. Maybe I could bi-amp using 2 channels of the Cinema Grand for the bass, and use a 300x2 for the ribbons.

Having owned a 300x2 (series 1), and now a 625x2 (series 2). For some reason I do believe that the 625x2 does sound better
EVEN at lower volumes.
I think that the mids are smother in the 625x2 than the 300x2.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. Maybe I'll just keep looking for the 600x2. I know Kingman likes his, too.
Bob
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:41 pm

That would be correct....
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Bob

Check your PM
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:01 pm

I've owned a lot of Carver gear, but not any of the Sunfire. The 600x2 has always been a DREAM of mine. But that will probably be a long way down the road. First on my list is the Sunfire Tube Pre
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:38 pm

I find that the Signatures seem to have a bit more pronounced and forward midrange over the non signature models, more so with the stereo amplifiers. If money were no object I would prefer a Signature amp. The Cinema Grands are very close in sound so unless you need more power anyway it would be hard to justify the additional cost in my opinion.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:27 am

thuffman03 wrote:The difference between the two amps is really just power. I have owned both and the Cinema Grand and the Cinema Grand Signature and both have the same sound, but the Signature is double the power. Cinema Gran is 200 wpc while the Signature is at least 400 wpc into 8 ohms.

I agree. The same, but not the same in five versus two channel sunfire.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 am

BobSmi57 wrote:

I appreciate your opinion , since you owned both amps. You say they have the same sound, but the Sunfire 600 sounds better to you. Does the 600 stereo amp have the same sound as the 300 stereo amp? The 600x2 is really hard to find in good condition. Maybe I could bi-amp using 2 channels of the Cinema Grand for the bass, and use a 300x2 for the ribbons.

No the six hundred is not as laid back as the three hundred.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)