Is audiophilia one hobby or two?

Carver Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Is audiophilia one hobby or two?

Post by treitz3 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:42 pm

Hello all and good evening to you all. It is a well known fact that if you are an audiophile, exploring high fidelity is a hobby.

Tonight, I would like to challenge that thought and present another perspective. Hear me out...

So, we have many formats that have gone to the wayside. 8 tracks, LD, cassettes and for many....the R to R. While R2R is one of the best formats out there, getting original recordings or albums in today's world is, shall I say, close to impossible. Sure, you can find a gem here or there but for the most part, folks use them to record physical media that they already own. With that said, LP and the digital counterparts are what is basically left for mainstream audiophilia. What I mean by digital counterparts can include but most definitely are not limited to CD's, XRCD's, HDCD's, SACD's, transporters, laptops, computers and the like.

So let me go back to my original question. Are we involved in one hobby only........or are those who have vinyl AND the digital counterpart actually involved in two hobbies?

Tom
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R
TFM-75

Re: Is audiophilia one hobby or two?

Post by Robert R » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:27 pm

The way you ask the question I'd say one hobby, with a lot of facets - Sound Reproduction. But there is another hobby, the one that gets a temporary back seat while we're Festing - Serious Music Listening. The first is pretty meaningless without the second.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:29 am

Robert R wrote:The way you ask the question I'd say one hobby, with a lot of facets - Sound Reproduction. But there is another hobby, the one that gets a temporary back seat while we're Festing - Serious Music Listening. The first is pretty meaningless without the second.

Robert R
Agree...the equipment for reproduction is one facet, the actual music listened to in reproduction is another. 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:30 am

Are all audiophiles music lovers? Are all music lovers audiophiles?
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:36 am

This is a very interesting topic. I personally find that I get all wrapped up in the technical aspects of our hobby and discover that I am not even listening to music. For instance I might be in the basement working on a pair of speakers for hour and realize that my system with Plats is sitting right across the room in silence. It has been months since I have sat and critically listened for any length of time.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:45 am

jjptkd wrote:Are all audiophiles music lovers? Are all music lovers audiophiles?
No and no.
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:52 am

I think the equipment and love of music are two seperate things.

You can mentally switch gears from analytically listening to music appreciation when something you love comes on or someone else is really into something playing and gets that across to you.

Im into the technical side often enough that I sometimes have to tell myself to change gears to focus on the music side. Again, a good selection can help you shift your mental focus much faster.

Mark

PS...it's very important to make that switch to help you find out how enjoyable a system is and how capable of communicating to you it is. Stale electronic reproduction is the penalty if you don't make the switch.
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

jerryj12
TFM-6cb

Post by jerryj12 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:03 pm

radioeng2 wrote:I think the equipment and love of music are two seperate things.

PS...it's very important to make that switch to help you find out how enjoyable a system is and how capable of communicating to you it is. Stale electronic reproduction is the penalty if you don't make the switch.
Agreed
Very well said Mark.

Jazzman53
M-400t CUBE

Post by Jazzman53 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Audiophelia is at least two hobbies and often compounded by a psychosis (or two). that is; the equipment, the music, tubes if you fail to avoid the seduction and some folks like Mark (and others we know) have the speaker building madness.

loner_t
Newbie 50+

Post by loner_t » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:37 pm

The Technical side of the hobby comes out at places like CF2016, but the Musical side stays, intertwined with memories beyond the specific Technology. The most expensive technology or a pair of EarPods, the emotional invocations transcend the technology. The Brain is quite capable of filling the technical gaps to get the emotions out. Mozart or Tin Pan Alley in my head, sounds the same, on ALses, Apogees or Sonorousness. Just my 2c.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:46 pm

Synergy as my best bud Jesse says is a path to that place where you can just sit back and enjoy the music and forget about the gear If even for a moment. Right here, Right now I have found that place with my rig as you may have seen it at the Fest. And for those of you who listened close the analogue rig sounds even better. Something about the nice mix of tubeage and LPs. But on the otherhand, the digital stuff moved me too. I think the Yggdrasil and the Fosgate are links that make the mix of the EAR V20 the the Spatial M3s work so well together. I can kick back smoke a 1992 Rocky Patel, drink a wee bit of Crown and forget the gear and just enjoy the tunes.

ray

Synergy baby, system Synergy
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Return to “Carver Home (Audio)”