List Your System !!!

<<

admin

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:40 am

List Your System !!!

ADD PHOTOS TO YOUR PERSONAL PHOTO ALBUM
ucp.php?i=gallery&mode=manage_albums

List what Carver/Sunfire/Phase-Linear equipment you have here.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:42 am

My Carver equipment list has been getting smaller and smaller over the years... recently even sold off my SD-A/490t :( X-Box pretty much made that thing obsolete.

Currently my system consists of:
Carver CT-25.1
Carver DD5.1
(2) TFM-45's
and my favorite.... the 1st prototypes set of AL-5's 8)
Attachments
Pic00013.jpg
Pic00013.jpg (80.26 KiB) Viewed 9028 times
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:13 am

Well, I guess a little background is in order here.....

My name is James Sauter. I started CarverAudio.com about 6 years ago, and was the original person doing the Carver/Genesis ribbon repars.
After opening http://www.RadicalRouting.com 4 years ago, I sold CarverAudio to my father DaveS. He is currently "The Ribbon Guy" :D
I have used, and worked on all the different Carver ribbon speakers, and I personaly wanted something new/better. So I designed and built the prototype AL-V's. Our current company has all the equipment needed to build them, so I went ahead and built a set. So far there is only (1) 100% fully finished and working set. I have (2) additional sets at the shop, that are about 75% finished, but have been put aside for now.

These speakers are NOT your typical Carver ribbon speaker. I designed them to my specs... cost was not the issue in building my own speakers, as was the case for Carver in trying to build a production design.
I made a few changes to the ribbon drivers themselves, enableing them to handle the power needed to to withstand "the 1.21 Gig-a-watts of electricty" needed to get these puppies to scream :lol: hehehe
But really... I changed the membrane to handle allot more power, and give a much higher volume level. In doing so... It also made the driver less effieient... but with a Carver ribbon, that's nothing new anyway. The ribbons are now 2-Ohms each, and can handle approx, 300-400 watts RMS each. The sub is a 12" Stillwater Kicker (Mo' Betta' Bass) !!! 400 watts ea.
The finish is high end automorive BMW metalic gunmetal gray. with black cloth on the faces. As I said... they wern't designed as a mass production item.
The plan was to work with Bob Carver and take this design to become the the new Carver AL-V's .... But that has been up in the air for 2 over years now. It looks like we'b just be better off selling them direct, without the Carver name on them.

Well, there U have it.... That's how I got them.... I made them :lol:
If we were to finish one of the other sets, you'd be looking at about $3500 + shipping.

Here's a crappy pix of my set at home... sorry the pix sucks, my good Digi-cam's at the office right now.
Attachments
PIC00015.JPG
PIC00015.JPG (75.38 KiB) Viewed 8995 times
<<

elecdik

Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:00 pm

Finally, A New Sound System!

Well this system has been a long time coming!!

After working my butt off for twenty five years or so and many hobbies later I finally got around to buying a new sound system and so far I am very impressed with the technology available.

About a month ago I asked a sales rep. to show me a powerful stereo that will also handle surround sound. He showed me the Carver C 1000 collecting dust so we began to haggle. I finally purchased the C 1000 receiver and I am very pleased with the sound quality and of course, the power.

I have coupled the receiver to Mirage OM7 speakers and OM2, 3 for center and rear channels with a Mirage 150 watt sub. Fortunately a neighbor owns a stereo shop, lets just say he treats his neighbors "very well".

I am using a Panasonic DVD/CD/MP3 machine for DVD and CD's but will pick up a Sony 300 Disk CD player in a few days. I like the large capacity players big time. When the Sahaydak's stop by this usually involves a marathon Canasta match where Greg and I proceed to kick our wives collective butts all the while sipping expensive whiskey and listening to non-stop blues.

Next on my shopping list is a large screen TV. I mean big, 50" or bigger. I have just started to shop around and I am not sure what to purchase just yet. I hope a deal will be done around Christmas. I am open to suggestions.

I am experiencing some problems with my receiver. Right from the show room floor (not my neighbor's show room!) there was no sound from the right rear speaker and I had a hum on some "power-ups". Any way it was sent out for repair to a shop in the big city. The repair invoice mentioned "re-soldering". Re-soldering of what I will never know but that problem is fixed.

Now I have another problem but I am less than impressed with the authorized repair shop so that is why I have a posting in the "Repairs" forum. I would like to do a bit of research on this new problem before I let the technician tear the receiver from my hands.

Regards,
Dick
<<

daviton

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:23 am

just like to say that i think carver audio is good stuff! i've owned and enjoyed carver audio over the years and still do.my current system is a ct-17 preamp which has replaced my old ct-7 preamp,two old m4.0t amplifier's(one dfm),a carver dtl-200 cd plyr.and magnepan mg12 speakers.i owned a carver c-1 preamp which was really neat and w/alot of features,but i wanted a preamp that had a remote control for volume adjustment etc...and i owned the m400 amplifier which was something that i admired, considering the power and clarity it delivered for such a small size(i just did'nt like the way the speaker cable hook up's were)<too small,so the m4.0t amp's came into the picture.this amp too is really incredible,the sound of it is really detailed and smooth w/alot of power to drive my planar's.all and all,the ole'carver audio pieces still deliver that sweet musical sound to my ear's...........daviton
Last edited by daviton on Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

fordfanjbl

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:02 am

My Babys

My system is of the following:

CARVER
2 C-1 preamps (for sale) (1 is older than the other)
DTL-200 CD Player (NEED REPAIR)
2 PM 1.5
2 TFM-45 (NEED REPAIR)
M-400

M-400 pushs my 2 JBL loudspeakers
2 PM 1.5 push my 2 18'' fanes
2 TFM-45 used to push my 2 15'' fanes

I have no owners manauls and anyone who know what the specs are
for the PM 1.5 I'd like to know so I don't blow a speaker. Plus Anyone who might want the C-1 preamp it is in very
good shape E-Mail me with Questions at fordfanjbl@aol.com
Last edited by fordfanjbl on Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:22 am

Contact Mike at mike@vintageaudiomanuals.com he`s the one that has all the owners/service manuals.
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:48 pm

My main rig is a pair of Amazing Platinum Mk.IV's being driven by a M4.0t bridged to 1,000 watts for the right channel, and a TFM-42 bridged to 1,000 watts for the left channel. Pre-amp is a C-16 or C-19. Right now the -19. Cd is either Sony 307ES, or Sony SACD player. Vinyl is Thorens TD-126 Mk.IV with Grado cart. I have a Sony ES cassette deck in there too.

I have a HT rig of sorts in another room, where I use a big honker Onkyo M-5090 power amp to drive the woofers, and a Carver M-500t to drive the mids and tweets in a pair of 1978 vintage AR-9's. I have a Tandberg TCD-310 cassette deck in this rig. Preamp is a sleeper piece, the Apt "Holman" preamp. Holman as in Tomlinson Holman, George Lucas' THX guy. THX is an acronym for Tom Holman's Xperiment.

I've had Carver since the mid-80's. I finally broke down and bought The Amazing's in 1991.

I have a bunch of Carver stuff in storage:

C-11 pre (unused new) SOLD to Eddie on this forum
TL-3330 CD player SOLD to somebody
TX-11a tuna (Now part of my HT rig
M-500t pwr amp (Still in storage as a spare)
TFM-35 pwr amp (unused new) Sold to Eddie on this forum

Arrividerci baby,

George
Last edited by George on Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

fordfanjbl

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:48 am

hey george

your TFM-35 is it a TFM-35x or just a regular TFM-35?
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:09 am

Plain vanilla TFM-35. No magic wand waved over it.

George
<<

emmett

Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:52 pm

My main system is McIntosh based, an MC2500 driving JBL 15s in custom made boxes for bass, and an MC2250 driving smaller custom made JBL driven speakers. I use homemade plasma tweeters for high end.

However i also have a Carver M-200t which i use in a smaller more portable system with a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers. I would like to get a Carver C-1 preamp to match it, i want to hear the sonic holography.
I'm having a littel trouble with my M-200t though, its a little noisy (see my repair section posts) and i think it needs a new transformer, maybe capacitors.
<<

Jim Hef

Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:02 pm

Toy Maker, if I were a speaker builder, I don't think I'd post a pic that showed that I viewed my video with subtitles enabled!!! [-X
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:51 pm

Well if your better-half was deaf you might not think anything of it either!!!! [-X :^o :-# :-# :-# Nice goin`!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:27 pm

With all due respect, how was the guy supposed to know THAT?
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:58 pm

Glad you said something... Being blind myself, I had no idea the captioning was even on :doubt:
Next

Return to "The Welcome Mat"