FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 am

Died and gone to heaven

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Died and gone to heaven

Well, after a long shitty day (shittier than usual) I came home in probably the worst mood of my life. Nothing paticularly bad happened, just in a funk I have never felt before.
After getting home, my other 1/2 started in on me.... "Get this thing off the kitchen counter, it's been here for 2 weeks" She was refering to the Lightstar BRICK of an amp. I haven't touched it because it's such a bitch to more being 80 pounds.
As requested, I moved it. Only wanting to move it once, I decided to take the time to pull everything out, and put it where it will stay, till I have time to work on the other 4. So I rewired my entire system tonight, and hooked it up bi-amped running my ribbons, with the ODL brick running my subs.

I decided to hook up the Squeezebox I pulled back out of my B&O project today, so I could run my MP3's through my system at home from my laptop... the 1st song I played was Some Devil by Dave Matthews.... I can't put into words the difference I am hearing. It sounds so good, I had to turn the holography off, because I was hearing sound coming from beyond 180 degrees from my ears, and it sounded unnatural.
Holy Fucking Shit guys.... as much as I have always said I can't heat it... I was wrong, I can hear it, and will never go with any other system from here on out.
Here is a run down of what I have running right this second.
Acer Laptop running lossless WiFi to my $300 Squeezebox. The squeezebox is connected via. (cheap ass) RCA's to my C-1000a. C-1000a main output to the Clearview Crossover. Hi freq. outputs going to the Lightstar Ref. then direct to my ribbons. Clearview Low freq. outputs going to my ODL amp, then to the subs in the speakers.

I still haven't even tried the Lightstar Preamp yet, and am using Ghetto interconnects. Does that mean it's going to get even better ?!?!?!
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:48 am

Oh yeah. Now that you have amps putting out lots of pristeen power, get a pristeen signal to them by upgrading your IC's. I'll bet you will be amazed at the difference. I found a major improvement when I went to used low end Transparent (the link 100) IC's over the rat shack gold and monster IC's I was using. Not to get the old and overworked cable debate started again, but to me; they definantly do make a difference. Now if we can just change your mind about mp3 sources, though I have to admit your system opened my eyes (and ears) to the fact that there isn't nearly as much loss in using mp3's over cd's or vinyl. Vinyl still rules though. I'd love to hear your system sourced by a good TT & cartridge combo. Can't wait till Carverfest 08. Everybody has gotten some nice new toys this year.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:21 am

Is it better to go RCA or XLR ?

From what I have read, XLR are better quality. Someone please explain the (balanced/unbalabced) part to me in dumbass terms please.

I am pretty sure I will be able to change peoples minds on the WiFi thing too... Don't forget we are getting a loaner Demo $2000 WiFI SlimDevices Transporter for CarverFest 08' I will be interested to see if I will be able to hear a difference between the $300 and the $2000 units doing the same thing.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:26 am

Toy Maker wrote:Is it better to go RCA or XLR ?

From what I have read, XLR are better quality. Someone please explain the (balanced/unbalabced) part to me in dumbass terms please.

The XLR 'balances' the signal by running three versus two wires & is much better at rejecting noise along the way. That's why XLR is the cord of choice on professional equipment (live shows, etc.) with LONG runs. On a 1 meter cord, you may not be able to tell the difference unless you have some sort of RFI you're dealing with. I was impressed with Dreamer's & Maxxx's White Zombie (both XLR & RCA) connectors...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:29 am

The trick is finding a pre with XLR outputs. Most of the Carver pre's have only RCA. The Sunfire pre's and I imagine the Lightstar have both. Using an RCA to XLR converter negates the advantages the XLR cables have. The best use for XLR in my opinion is if you want a wide spread on your speakers and are using mono-blocks. Less signal loss using long XLR IC's and placing the amp right next to the speaker with short speaker cables.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:01 pm

Does that mean it's going to get even better ?!?!?!
You bet your arse it is. :)

Other than the long run factor with XLR's, the benefit for home audio is limited unless the gear is actually configured in a true balanced design.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Died and gone to heaven

Toy Maker wrote:Well, after a long shitty day (shittier than usual) I came home in probably the worst mood of my life. Nothing paticularly bad happened, just in a funk I have never felt before.
After getting home, my other 1/2 started in on me.... "Get this thing off the kitchen counter, it's been here for 2 weeks" She was refering to the Lightstar BRICK of an amp. I haven't touched it because it's such a bitch to more being 80 pounds.
As requested, I moved it. Only wanting to move it once, I decided to take the time to pull everything out, and put it where it will stay, till I have time to work on the other 4. So I rewired my entire system tonight, and hooked it up bi-amped running my ribbons, with the ODL brick running my subs.

I decided to hook up the Squeezebox I pulled back out of my B&O project today, so I could run my MP3's through my system at home from my laptop... the 1st song I played was Some Devil by Dave Matthews.... I can't put into words the difference I am hearing. It sounds so good, I had to turn the holography off, because I was hearing sound coming from beyond 180 degrees from my ears, and it sounded unnatural.
Holy Fucking Shit guys.... as much as I have always said I can't heat it... I was wrong, I can hear it, and will never go with any other system from here on out.
Here is a run down of what I have running right this second.
Acer Laptop running lossless WiFi to my $300 Squeezebox. The squeezebox is connected via. (cheap ass) RCA's to my C-1000a. C-1000a main output to the Clearview Crossover. Hi freq. outputs going to the Lightstar Ref. then direct to my ribbons. Clearview Low freq. outputs going to my ODL amp, then to the subs in the speakers.

I still haven't even tried the Lightstar Preamp yet, and am using Ghetto interconnects. Does that mean it's going to get even better ?!?!?!

CBITCHITOLDYA!!!

Wait 'til you spend some serious time with Marcia and a really good
recording, you'll wonder what took you so long to set it up.

see below

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:07 am

F1nut wrote:
Does that mean it's going to get even better ?!?!?!
You bet your arse it is. :)

Other than the long run factor with XLR's, the benefit for home audio is limited unless the gear is actually configured in a true balanced design.

For instance, in my DAC-to-preamp connection. I have the Benchmark DAC1, and a Krell KAV-300i preamp--both of which run true balanced ins and outs. I originally was running the Benchmark to the Krell with a pair of White Zombie RCA interconects, and it sounded REALLY nice. But when I changed to White Zombie Zero point Zero XLR cables, it was a HUGE improvement, and this is with 1-meter cables. It was NOT an incremental difference, or someting I had to "listen critically" for, it was IMMEDIATELY noticeable--bigger soundstage, a TON more open-ness and "air" and the noise floor was just dead silent and velvety black. Even my "sweetie" noticed a difference.

If I could run my entire rig balanced I would, but with Carver amps everywhere, it's just not really practical.

Howver, I DO have a pair of balanced LONG cables (5 meter) between my pre and my Silver7t's (with XLR-RCA adapters) and they DO sound better than cables from the same manufacturer (Black Mountain--Pinnacle Silvers) using RCA plugs, which I attribute to the ability of XLR cables to block out more noise on long cable runs. Yes, it would sound even better if my amps had balanced inputs, but all I know is what my ears tell me--that running long RCA cables does not sound as good as runnign long XLR cables with adapters...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:29 am

Ok, thanks for all the opinions so far, but here's another question.

The LS pre and amps both have XLR and RCA's.
The 390t I want only has RCA.
Is there any point hooking the pre to the amp with XLR, if you have to us the RCA from the CD to the pre?
Does mixing and matching cable types matter?

I would expect, if you have everything in a system XLR, and that gives you the 100% best that is possible from your system, every other wire you swap put with RCA's would start to degrade your quality, wire by wire.
Would this be accurate at all ??

Or am I better off forgetting about Carver as a CD source, and find something better, that has XLR outs ?? I would hate to do that, but I could if needed.
hehe, just had a brainstorm...
While building the amps, make an extra chassis, and pull the guts from a REALLY GOOD XLR CD player, and make the 1st ever Lightstar CD player. Of course it would't "really" be a Carver product... but it would be a high end CD that matches the Lightstar look !!
(Boy, I know I'm going to get a phone call from Ray on this one... " Can you make me one too ????) #-o \:D/

Ok, so what would be a CD player WITH XLR's that is of the same quality as the Lightstar equipment ??

Man I love this forum.... you guys are fucking brain-i-acs !!!
I'm good with ideas, and designs, and building things, but lack allot of the (booksmarts) that you guys seem to be able to bring to the tablel ALL THE TIME.

\:D/ Thanks for making this fun and interesting !!!! \:D/

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:09 am

If you can go balanced all the way through that is best. I do have a very nice CEC 3300 CDP for sale. I got this a little over a year ago for $600.00. It is in mint condition. This unit has balanced outputs and has a true Class A output. Let me know if you are interested.

http://www.mbd-indo.com/Product/CEC/CD3300/CD3300.html
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:19 am

Phantom602 wrote:If you can go balanced all the way through that is best. I do have a very nice CEC 3300 CDP for sale. I got this a little over a year ago for $600.00. It is in mint condition. This unit has balanced outputs and has a true Class A output. Let me know if you are interested.

http://www.mbd-indo.com/Product/CEC/CD3300/CD3300.html

Interested... but "financially challenged" at the moment.... ](*,)

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:01 am

Balanced is always the best way to go, even if it is only a part of the signal path. Here's a little tutorial:

Balanced Audio Cables

Balanced audio cables use an extra line, and consist of a hot line (positive), cold line (negative) and earth. The audio signal is transmitted on both the hot and cold lines, but the voltage in the cold line is inverted so it is negative when the hot signal is positive. These two signals are often referred to as being 180 degrees out of phase with each other. This terminology can be confusing — it does not mean one signal is delayed until it is out of phase, it means one signal is effectively flipped upside down.

Balanced Audio Signal

When the cable is plugged into an input, the hot and cold signals are combined. Normally you would expect these two signals to cancel each other out, but at the input stage they are put "back in phase" (i.e. the inversion is reversed) before being merged together, so they actually combine to form a stronger signal.

Removing Noise

Along the length of the cable, noise can be introduced from external sources such as power cables, RF interference, etc. This noise will be identical on both hot and cold lines. This is known as a common mode signal - a signal which appears equally on both conductors of a two wire line.

So the hot and cold lines carry two signals: A desirable audio signal which has an opposite voltage on each line, and unwanted noise which is the same on both lines.

This is where the trick of balanced audio kicks in. At the input stage when the inverted audio signal is re-inverted to make both desirable audio signals the same, the unwanted noise is inverted (i.e. put out of phase). Viola - all the unwanted noise is cancelled out, leaving only the combined original signal.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Always understandable

Thanks Bill I can always count on you to explain something so that it is understanable & clear. Mant times "audiophiles" have explanations that do not make sense logically. This explanation is very clear. Manipulate toe signal to eliminate any added noise. Sounds good.

BTW on another thread you started speaking french (Nes Pa?). Please dont do it anymore, people may think you are french.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Proofread?

Proofread? We don't need no stinking proofread!

Could have used some on the last thread.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Always understandable

frankieD wrote:Thanks Bill I can always count on you to explain something so that it is understanable & clear. Mant times "audiophiles" have explanations that do not make sense logically. This explanation is very clear. Manipulate toe signal to eliminate any added noise. Sounds good.

BTW on another thread you started speaking french (Nes Pa?). Please dont do it anymore, people may think you are french.

What is it with you Americans hating the French? I'm French, so does that mean that I'm not welcome on here anymore? O:) O:) O:)

BTW, I have NO idea what language (Nes Pa?) is in, but it sure as hell isn't French by any stretch of the imagination! You must mean N'est-ce pas.

Marc ....
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
Next

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)