FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 pm

--- Lightstar Lightstar Lightstar --- would you upgrade ??

If given the opertunity, would you upgrade your current "stereo" units for a Carver Lightstar Direct Preamp, and a Carver Lightstar Reference Amplifier ??

YES, In a heartbeat, and I'd pay more than $2,500 if need be!!
20%
I would be willing to upgrade at a cost of $2,500 but no more.
10%
I would be willing to upgrade, but only if it did not cost me anything.
20%
I would not upgrade due to the $2,500 cost.
15%
I would not upgrade, if there were any extra cost at all.
No votes
I would not upgrade, even if it were an even swap.
20%
I would not upgrade, even if you paid me to take them.
15%

Total votes : 20
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am

Toy Maker wrote:no no no... I only bought what Rolland was willing to let go (plus 1 he didn't want to let go). He kept enough parts for future repairs :)

OK, thanks. You see what happens when you're missing an important part of the story.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:26 am

At least ALL Lightstar owners know there are only two sources of parts in the world!
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:26 pm

BillD wrote:At least ALL Lightstar owners know there are only two sources of parts in the world!

So, do you have parts just for the amps or for the preamps too? And, IF you do build those 5 amps, do you plan on selling (or trading) any of them for real???
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:51 pm

OBI56 wrote:
BillD wrote:At least ALL Lightstar owners know there are only two sources of parts in the world!

So, do you have parts just for the amps or for the preamps too? And, IF you do build those 5 amps, do you plan on selling (or trading) any of them for real???

The Brady's will prolly Marcia them in the family.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:03 pm

I would upgrade my second system which has the Carver c-16 in it but not my main Sunfire system! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:25 pm

-ya' know...there shoulda been a 'voting tab' [in this poll] stating...

-'do you even consider LS an upgrade' ? [to your 'existing' system ?]

-hehe ;)
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:39 pm

That's what I wrote max - upgrade - what upgrade?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:11 pm

maddmaxxx wrote:-ya' know...there shoulda been a 'voting tab' [in this poll] stating...

-hehe ;)

then BillD opined "
That's what I wrote max - upgrade - what upgrade?

Well I guess the guantlet has been thrown for a little Lightstar vs. Sunfire throwdown at CarverFest '08. I KNOW there will be plenty of Lightstar gear there... you Sunfire boys up for it?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:31 pm

The Odyssey boys will be up to it as well. \:D/

Oh chit! What did I just say? [-( :-# =; [-X
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:04 am

maddmaxxx wrote:-ya' know...there shoulda been a 'voting tab' [in this poll] stating...

-hehe ;)

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> *0*
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:07 am

treitz3 wrote:The Odyssey boys will be up to it as well. \:D/

Oh chit! What did I just say? [-( :-# =; [-X

My 500's on your Oddballs any day ! :-#
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:03 am

-bear w/me here...[cf'07]

-ray's LS was 1st hooked to a pr of ALSoriginals he just took deliv on
-the surrounds were shot, at least 1/2 of 'em [rotted-out]...did'nt bother him, he actualy took the volume up w/ his amp !!![hard to phathom]
-i would'nt try that w/anything i've ever owned !!!

-the sig7-400 will power 'the wall of sound' all on its own [only amp capable, i believe]

-the last night at the 'watersheds' i could'nt sleep...ray walked by and handed me his remotes [LS and 490t], [said 'go for it'], then took off to crash at his 'watershed'
-had a 2disc set, dig remastered to try out...w/volume 'down' as not to wake anybody, this 'combo' was both musical and accurate...even cranked up+ a couple of symphony melodies on this disc-set ...very nice w/short 'concert levels' 'mad-minutes', again accurate and musical

-mind you, i've never seen a LS in person [did'nt recognize/understand ray's avatar pic, until cf'07]...and really nice to see original boxes and packing, for all this system [how many 'units left ?, w/boxes ?]

-now i've never heard a tfm75/sig600-2/sig5-400 but this LS 'combo', tho only 300-2 ?, was musical and had 'the performance'

-did'nt have alot of time w/the LS system BUT was a very uniquie experience to have enjoyed...if mr BC came back out w/this today, [in say a production run of 1000 pcs], they might could fetch 7, + [against other 'stuff' on the market, who really knows ?]...maybe sig 7-400 or 600-2's may go for big loot too [in limited production runs] ?

-hopefully the toymaker and mr MR can bring-out LS again [heck, i would'nt travel w/rarities like that...too risky]...BUT more power to 'em for do'in so

-would love to hear the sig600-2 and tfm75 in this 2channel 'war'..[did say WAR ]...bring out the modded silvers and blocks !, oh 8-[

-dye'in to hear trexxx's system, BIGTIME [-o<

-and see somebody grab them underpriced AL-V's...dang ](*,)

-just my 2bits

-peace
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:10 am

maddmaxxx wrote:-bear w/me here...[cf'07]

-ray's LS was 1st hooked to a pr of ALS originals he just took deliv on
-the surrounds were shot, at least 1/2 of 'em [rotted-out]...didn't bother him, he actualy took the volume up w/ his amp !!![hard to fathom]
-i would'nt try that w/anything i've ever owned !!!

-the sig7-400 will power 'the wall of sound' all on its own [only amp capable, i believe]

-the last night at the 'watersheds' i couldn't sleep...ray walked by and handed me his remotes [LS and 490t], [said 'go for it'], then took off to crash at his 'watershed'
-had a 2disc set, dig remastered to try out...w/volume 'down' as not to wake anybody, this 'combo' was both musical and accurate...even cranked up+ a couple of symphony melodies on this disc-set ...very nice w/short 'concert levels' 'mad-minutes', again accurate and musical

-mind you, I've never seen a LS in person [didn't recognize/understand ray's avatar pic, until cf'07]...and really nice to see original boxes and packing, for all this system [how many 'units left ?, w/boxes ?]

-now i've never heard a tfm75/sig600-2/sig5-400 but this LS 'combo', tho only 300-2 ?, was musical and had 'the performance'

-didn't have allot of time w/the LS system BUT was a very uniquie experience to have enjoyed...if mr BC came back out w/this today, [in say a production run of 1000 pcs], they might could fetch 7, + [against other 'stuff' on the market, who really knows ?]...maybe sig 7-400 or 600-2's may go for big loot too [in limited production runs] ?

-hopefully the toymaker and mr MR can bring-out LS again [heck, i wouldn't travel w/rarities like that...too risky]...BUT more power to 'em for doing so.

-would love to hear the sig600-2 and tfm75 in this 2channel 'war'..[did say WAR ]...bring out the modded silvers and blocks !, oh 8-[

-dye'in to hear trexxx's system, BIG TIME [-o<

-and see somebody grab them under priced AL-V's...dang ](*,)

-just my 2bits

-peace

Holy Cow Maxxx ! Is your finger still attached ? =D>
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Holy Cow Maxxx ! Is your finger still attached ? =D>

Hehe.......:D
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:33 pm

-hehe, was try'in to get rid of a case of 'wicked hiccups', last night

-the g-man handed me his sunfire remote too

-everyone [cf'07 still] was on the balcony so i could really 'have myself a time'

-had more 'wierdo music' that was everything i could ask for in 'extreme notes'...at concert levels and 'normal' sound levels the sunfire delivered

-kinda think the sig7-400 would give anything on anyday a 'reference point'...'yeah, its that good' hehe

-could'nt take the LS system this hi due to the time of night...a drag

-anyways the sig7-400 w/zero to full sub-woof was a BLAST and had no weak points

-this will be interesting LS vs the SIG...i can see alot of 'pride of ownership' here...and think musical preference will play the biggest role in which is preferred

-acourse the blocks hold their own too

-kinda wish them blocks had dual pairs of binding posts [ala pass labs]

-
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)