FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:12 am

Someone got some new toys !!!!

<<

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Re: Someone got some new toys !!!!

Sweet. Nice package. I have to admit I don't know much about them, Lightstar that is, but they look cool. I hope they perform to your expectations! (Not meaning the quality of the manufacturing, but what kind of conditions they were kept under and operated under prior to your acquisition.)

Many happy nights of listening ahead, as I pray to the AUDIO GODS for you!!
OCCD claims another victim!!

Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: TFM-55; C-16; SD/A-490t; TD-1770; BEDROOM: HR-772
Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

"I may be poor, but I am rich in sound!!"
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:33 pm

Man those are sharp looking units! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:57 pm

Ooooooooooo, Dave's ears have some ear candy! 8)

I'll be expecting a full report at the 'fest Dave.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:17 pm

I'd be jealous...... if I didn't already own Marcia. BTW, nice rig Dave!!!!

Lightstar, Lightstar, Lightstar it is. Hey Rick, can you handle 5 days in the world of Lightstar?

Where do we go from here?

I guess I'll have to have the Darkstar ready for show at CF. Gotta have something no one else has.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:20 pm

You keep talking about this thing "Darkstar"... All you have is the the driver right ???
Are you planning on building a box for it ?? How are you going to power it ??
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:43 pm

I remember seeing a Darkstar sub for sale on eBay a while back. It was broken and I had contacted Rolland to see if it was fixable but someone snatched it up before Rolland got back to me, so I figured that was that. Now I'm thinking that maybe our friend Ray is the one who picked it up.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Wasn't there also a Knight Shadow sub?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Ooops Bill, you are right! It was a Dark Shadow sub, not a Darkstar. My mind has finally turned to mush .... O:)
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:23 pm

Darkstar was designed to be a companion piece to Carver's Lightstar, but with an HT bend. The cabinet was trapaziodal, painted in piano black with a penta-shaped, blue blacklit Lightstar logo emblem. It sported 2 15" specially designed woofers powered by a (get this) 1500 watt Lightstar amplifier. It is my understanding they built 1 unit for the CES show in '95. My source says Carver had 4 raw woofer prototypes built. 2 of them were installed in the show unit, I have one and the other woofer has fallen off the radar.

My original plan was to build a piano black trapazoidal cabinet, get a certain someone(hint, hint James) to make the backlit logo piece and power it either with a 1500watt Sunfire plate amp or one of the plates I bought from PartsExpress. I don't really care for the sound I've been getting from the plates with other drivers, but I do like the sound I have been getting from them with the bridged TFM-45.

I don't know what arrangement you'll see at CarverFest, but from what I understand this is one rare bird and I hope y'all will dig it.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 pm

BillD wrote:Wasn't there also a Knight Shadow sub?

I remember this one BillD. Your right.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:01 am

OBI56 wrote:Ooops Bill, you are right! It was a Dark Shadow sub, not a Darkstar. My mind has finally turned to mush .... O:)

Are you sure your not thinking of the soap called Dark Shadows, Barnibus ? :lol:
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:12 am

Dark Shadow, Knight Shadow, Dark Knight, Silent Knight ... same f****n difference
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:09 am

OBI56 wrote:Dark Shadow, Knight Shadow, Dark Knight, Silent Knight ... same f****n difference

:lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

FesteLV

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:11 am

Come on, just call it the Death Star :lol:
Feste
Las Vegas

C-4000t, TX-11a, Silver 9t(2), M-1.0t(2), SD/A 490t, Apogee Calipers
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:01 pm

FesteLV wrote:Come on, just call it the Death Star :lol:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :lol: :lol:
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)