FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:21 pm

Review of Amazing Platinums by *GASP*...Stereophile Magazine

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:56 am

Review of Amazing Platinums by *GASP*...Stereophile Magazine

You may ask why a review is under this thread, but the author had some interesting things to say about Bob & his insights, so I thought it more appropriate that it goes here. Not all is wonderful in this review, but I learned some stuff about Bob & his concepts for the Amazing line of speakers...hope you do, too. Of special interest is the part about using the tiny magnets on the woofers...

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspe ... index.html
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kloneman1

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Re: Review of Amazing Platinums by *GASP*...Stereophile Magazine

The "tiny magnet" and "gossamer" diaphragm are at the opposite end of the spectrum from the techniques used in the True Subwoofer. To try that range of solutions is very cool.

TNRabbit wrote:You may ask why a review is under this thread, but the author had some interesting things to say about Bob & his insights, so I thought it more appropriate that it goes here. Not all is wonderful in this review, but I learned some stuff about Bob & his concepts for the Amazing line of speakers...hope you do, too. Of special interest is the part about using the tiny magnets on the woofers...

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspe ... index.html
Kloneman
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:02 pm

I've seen and read this article before; I think from another link on here somewhere. It is the reason that I have always shied away from the Amazings and been more attracted to the Maggies despite never having heard a set of Amazings before. I don't think that I have ever seen a positive review of the Amazings anywhere; if anyone has one, I'd love to read it.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:18 pm

If you've never heard a review, I can give you one. There's good and there's bad. What would you like first?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:13 am

As I said treitz, this is the only review I've ever read on the Amazings; I'd like to read anything witten about them, good or bad. Its hard to know what to expect to hear when I finally do get to listen to a pair, if ever I do get to listen to them. If I am to trust this particular review, the Amazings have every single thing wrong with them that I find important in a speaker. Also, if I'm to believe this reviewer, getting a good sounding pair is pretty much a crap shoot, so I need some other views on these speakers before deciding if I actually want to hear them or not.
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:32 am

Obi and others, I've got several reprints and Carver literature of tests, reviews, promos (yeah, I know, that's not what you're after) that came with my pair of Amazings I bought from the original owner in '95-- I'll see if I can put my hands on fairly quickly and read over to see if they'll suffice as positive reviews. Then there's the problem of converting them to text files and putting them up on here - another issue altogether for me.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

Harryfan

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:45 am

Go to page 12 for The Audio Critic's take on the Platinums. I would call this a positive review.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issu ... c_16_r.pdf

There's also on interesting bit on page 9 about the legal maneuvering between Stereophile and Carver.

Chris
A point in every direction is the same as...no point at all.
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:10 am

Harryfan wrote:Go to page 12 for The Audio Critic's take on the Platinums. I would call this a positive review.

There's also on interesting bit on page 9 about the legal maneuvering between Stereophile and Carver.

Chris

That's one of the printed documents I have that I referred to ! Thanks for that link.

Reese
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:16 am

Here are some previously published reviews of the Carver Amazing Loudspeakers, in addition to the Audio Critic's review posted above. I don't know if you can locate them through Google or other search means-- some sources might be traceable, others might be long-gone (Stereo Review magazine's review, for instance) - but here are the title and authors, with issue numbers if they were mentioned:

A Review of the amazing Loudspeaer, Platinum Edition; Alvin Foster, Ph.D., from "Journal of the Boston Audio Society" (The BAS Speaker) Vol 18, Issue 1.

Carver's Amazing Platinum Mark IV Speakers and Carver's Hologram: A Review, by Les Leventhal, Ph.D., in Journal of the Boston Audio Society's "The BAS Speaker" - from a "preprint" written for the JBAS

Carver Amazing - Silver Edition, by Karl Nehring, in "The Sensible Sound" magazine, S[pring, 1990 issue.

The Carver Amazing Loudspeaker, by Joe Cierniak, "Sound Off" publication, distributed to overseas military personnel.

Carver "Amazing Loudspeaker" (Platinum Mk II Edition), by Peter Aczel, "The Audio Critic", Summer through Winter 1989-1990, No. 14

Carver "Amazing Loudspeaker", by Peter Aczel, from "The Audio Critic", Winter/Spring 1988, No. 11

A Special Test Report: Carver's Amazing Loudspeaker, by Julian Hirsch, from "Stereo Review", December 1986

<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Harryfan wrote:Go to page 12 for The Audio Critic's take on the Platinums. I would call this a positive review.

Chris

Just finished reading this and it really makes a much better impression of the Plats that the Stereophile hatchet job. Also found several other interesting articles in that review including 1 on the perils of matching mini-monitors with subwoofers.

The 1 main point that I came away with from that review is that the Amazings really need a HUGE room to sound anywhere near their best (I had heard 4,000 to 5000 cubic feet and at least 15 feet wide as close to the right size). With the largest rooms in most "normal" houses under 2000 cubic feet (20'X12'X8'), the Amazings are obviously not for me.

Return to Bob Carver, the Myth, the Legend