FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:47 pm

LIGHTSTAR DIRECT PREAMP VALUE?

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: LIGHTSTAR DIRECT PREAMP VALUE?

snow wrote:Hi Toy Maker. What would be great is if you could see your way clear to selling me one of those amps that are stacked up in your avatar, then we would both be happy. \:D/

Fat chance of that huh? lol

Yeah, since I only have one here working at the moment.... :?
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:33 pm

F1nut wrote:$850.00 as the going rate. If it doesn't have the remote, forget it. The remote is the only way it can be operated.

Edit: I should add that there are NO parts available, should it need repair.

IIRC, as of the last time I talked with Rolland that is NOT true. It can be repaired UNLESS the processor is shot....no one knows how to programme a new one.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:44 pm

Right, Rolland said the "volume out od wack" issue was un-fixable... other issues may be fixable... but I would't buy a non working one except for the remote.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

snow

TFM-25

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Toy Maker wrote:
snow wrote:Hi Toy Maker. What would be great is if you could see your way clear to selling me one of those amps that are stacked up in your avatar, then we would both be happy. \:D/

Fat chance of that huh? lol

Yeah, since I only have one here working at the moment.... :?

Sorry to hear that, Hopefully it will be an easy fix :) If you ever do decide to sell one of your amps though please keep me in mind. It would be nice to have the matching amp to this pre, but I figure it took this long to snag a preamp. I am patient and will keep my eye out \:D/

REGARDS SNOW
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:52 pm

What I said was that there were no parts available. I stand by that.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:32 pm

F1nut wrote:What I said was that there were no parts available. I stand by that.

In that circumstance I'd buy the inop unit :-) .... just in case

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:34 pm

Get out of here Ray... Wern't you black-balled a while ago ?!?! :lol:

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

snow

TFM-25

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:44 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Right, Rolland said the "volume out od wack" issue was un-fixable... other issues may be fixable... but I would't buy a non working one except for the remote.
Volume out of whack issue?

REGARDS SNOW
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:48 pm

maybe Ray can post the details, he was all aver that auction and still lost...
It had something to do with the volume being screwed up... 1 channel was louder than the other, and it was stuck at low volume I think....
There was something wrong with one of the onboard processors, Rolland said he couldn't do anything with it....
Just make sure all the buttins work :)
If not, Ray and I will be happy to fight over it !! heheh Dick already has a remote too... fkr ! :lol:

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

snow

TFM-25

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks for all the info so far guys. My next question being that the chances of me locating a matching amp anytime soon is pretty slim to put it mildly, is what other amp/s would mate well with this pre? it appears to get the best sound that I would need to have a amp that has balanced inputs. I am thinking sunfire perhaps?

REGARDS SNOW
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Try a Sunfire 600 x 2 (or 300 x 2). They're Lightstar-ish.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

snow

TFM-25

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:07 pm

BillD wrote:Try a Sunfire 600 x 2 (or 300 x 2). They're Lightstar-ish.
I see there is a 600 x 2 here. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... 1223412603

Is this a fair price?

REGARDS SNOW
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:25 pm

The guys on crack IMO
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:39 pm

$1500-1700 would be a good used price...
anything inder $1500, and you're getting a good deal !!
Over $2,000 the seller is trying to get ALL his $$ back after paying retail.

$2350, I'd expect a Tube Preamp with it or something

I paid $1,000 for mine a couple weeks ago, and $400 for a Sunfire 300x2, so keep your eyes out

Hey, there's alway a chance of coming across a LS amp, god knows I don't need any more.
We (my father and I) have (3) OEM amps, and (4) in parts we have to build.
The 3rd working amp will be here tomorrow... can't wait to see if there was anything wrong with it or not.
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=5758

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

snow

TFM-25

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks for the pricing info. Good luck with the amp thats coming hopefully it will be simply the toggle switch on the one channel.

REGARDS SNOW
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)