FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:49 am

Sound treatments at the 'Fest.....

<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Sound treatments at the 'Fest.....

Ya know I was looking at the pics of the cabins and wondering if the big, open rooms have any affect on soundstage. Has anyone given any thought to bringing any kind of treatments such as big comforters or blankets to put up? Was the sound affected last year?
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Sound treatments at the 'Fest.....

The sound was most definitely affected last year. Made some great gear sometimes sound real bright with artificial reflections, room nodes and cancellations as well. We just used our collective knowledge to bring out the best of the gear with what we had, in some cases we moved an entire rig to a different location than the original plan just for this reason. The cabins are not the absolute best scenario for reflections and the things that normally in our home rigs we could make permanent or temporary changes to, we may not be able to do. Last year as well as this year, we'll just have to make due.

This year, it will pretty much be the same thing. We are not allowed to put nails in the walls trim, logs or anything like that. It sucks, I know but they are after all luxury log cabin vacation rentals. We can try without defacing any of the cabins to get the best sound possible and any suggestions are more than welcome.

Don't get me wrong. It's not like we get there and all of the rigs sound like ass or anything like that. I'm just saying that it's not [obviously] like we are running all rigs in an anechoic chamber........which would be schweeeeeeeeet!!!....but ain't gonna happen.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:03 am

Closing the curtains on the large windows helped a lot. I thought the large high ceiling rooms sounded fine. Get enough bodies in front of the speakers and they do a nice job of damping the sound.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:08 am

Dreamer brought some moving blankets last year to place behind his Martin Logan speakers & we set my AL-IIIs up in front of the curtains to minimize unwanted reflections. I have several U-haul blankets I can bring if need be.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

snarffydoggy

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:36 am

Well You Could Always Set Up Some Bose 901's :-& :-& :-& :-& :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
snarffydoggy

Return to CARVERFEST 08'