FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Basic Questions about M-4060

<<

scooter-man

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:31 am

Basic Questions about M-4060

I just got a Carver M-4060 ($20.00 at garage sale, not too bad of shape) and have some questions:

1) What is the maximum RCA voltage allowed?
2) I do not believe this amp is 2 ohm stable..
3) Where can I get a copy (PDF) of the owners manual?

This amp will be used for my 2-way front stage, I have an external x-over that could put out up to 8 volts, I'm worried this old amp may not take anything above 4 volts.

I do like the seperate channel gains for each channel! Now, I can really get each speaker to play at the same level.

Thanks for your comments.

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Basic Questions about M-4060

dono about the voltage, but it is 2 ohm stable. Almost all car amps ar 4-2 ohm stable.
I have one of these amps put away somewhere, I will look to see if it came with the manual.
If you want to pay shipping, you can have the amp. It's in about the same condition as yours but 1 of the 4 channels was a little sketchy last time I tried using it.
I also have the box for it I think. Worst case, you have some extra parts for down the road if you need them.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:51 pm

Welcome scooter-man. Glad to have you here. 4X60WRMS @ 4OHM / 4X40WRMS@ 8OHM / 2X120WRMS A PONTE @ 8 OHM .
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

scooter-man

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:16 pm

Thanks for the Welcome and I've got a few amps at home too.

I'm worried about the input RCA voltage, who to contact to find out for certain?

The external 3 way X-over will be gone by Xmas, replaced by a Pioneer PRS 880 (3 way, eq, etc). I just don't want to blow the amp. It's my first Carver and know they have really good sound quailty.

Late!
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:19 pm

engtaz wrote:Welcome scooter-man. Glad to have you here. 4X60WRMS @ 4OHM / 4X40WRMS@ 8OHM / 2X120WRMS A PONTE @ 8 OHM .

Hey engtaz, the database is woefully lacking is specs on the car amps (all the car gear in fact) so if you have any more specs to share, I'd like to add them to the database.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:56 pm

I found the info on a European eBay page. I only wish I had so Carver amps to try. I run some Orion amps from the 1990 time frame. SX series.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

scooter-man

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:32 pm

Again, this is my first Carver amp, before I bought it, smelled the crap out of it on the back side, nothing. Took 15 minutes, all channels were OK, using my car and some extra wire.

Bought it, opened up the back and never seen an amp layout that way. Did an Internet search, found one main site that had a M-4120 listed.... the poster stated it wasn't 2 ohm rated.

Hence, I'm here. Does anyone know about the input voltage??

P.S. I sent that other webpage, MANY pictures to post about the internal lookings of a car Carver M-4060 car amp.

Late!
<<

danw2002

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:17 am

let me know what you need for car amps, i have most of the info on them.

do not run the m amps into 2 ohms, that runs them hard, and they do not like it, allthough the manual specs them for 2ohms stereo and 4 ohm bridged. That was one of the reasons the market did not receive them very well, the installers at the time they came out did not read the manuals, and would run them in 4ohm mono, which the amp sees as 2ohms stereo and would blow the amp and then call them 'junk' to all who would listen, again ask me how i know this.....been doing custom systems for over 25years in cars, hot rods, boats and what ever else moves....... but run them in 4ohms stereo or 8ohms mono and they are one of the sweetest amps for mids/highs you will ever find, even comparing them to todays amps. I still run the M amps in my 745i and in my other cars for the mids.

OBI56 wrote:
engtaz wrote:Welcome scooter-man. Glad to have you here. 4X60WRMS @ 4OHM / 4X40WRMS@ 8OHM / 2X120WRMS A PONTE @ 8 OHM .

Hey engtaz, the database is woefully lacking is specs on the car amps (all the car gear in fact) so if you have any more specs to share, I'd like to add them to the database.
Last edited by danw2002 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Williams
carver nut,
who lives only
a few miles from
their old office....
<<

danw2002

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:20 am

they are old style amps, and not built for such a 'hot' input, made for 500mv to 2vlt input. but you can use the newer decks with them, as many of them use 4vlt outs just match them to the system for level, if you need to run higher input to them, use the speaker level inputs, which can handle the 3vlt plus levels of the newer decks.

I also have many of the 4060 and 4120 boards still out of the heat sinks waiting for me to fix them or intall them in a new sink. i also have service manuals on many of them. have built up over a dozen of the 4120s and over 170 of the kmos series. 4200, 2200, and 2150 and still have sinks and boards for them too. also have 50 or so of the Broadway amps to build up and sell one of these days, all new, never left the factory.

scooter-man wrote:Again, this is my first Carver amp, before I bought it, smelled the crap out of it on the back side, nothing. Took 15 minutes, all channels were OK, using my car and some extra wire.

Bought it, opened up the back and never seen an amp layout that way. Did an Internet search, found one main site that had a M-4120 listed.... the poster stated it wasn't 2 ohm rated.

Hence, I'm here. Does anyone know about the input voltage??

P.S. I sent that other webpage, MANY pictures to post about the internal lookings of a car Carver M-4060 car amp.

Late!
Last edited by danw2002 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Williams
carver nut,
who lives only
a few miles from
their old office....
<<

danw2002

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:22 am

I do have manuals for these.

Toy Maker wrote:dono about the voltage, but it is 2 ohm stable. Almost all car amps ar 4-2 ohm stable.
I have one of these amps put away somewhere, I will look to see if it came with the manual.
If you want to pay shipping, you can have the amp. It's in about the same condition as yours but 1 of the 4 channels was a little sketchy last time I tried using it.
I also have the box for it I think. Worst case, you have some extra parts for down the road if you need them.
Dan Williams
carver nut,
who lives only
a few miles from
their old office....

Return to Carver Car Audio