FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:58 pm

Carverfest Manuals Exchange

<<

jvandyke_texas

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:56 pm

Carverfest Manuals Exchange

We should do a manuals swap/sale at Carverfest.
I have quite a few owners and service manuals.
Can swap or sell to cover copying cost.
Or maybe we bring originals and all pile into 9 cars for a Kinkos run.

Who needs what?
Who can bring what?

I need a readable PM-1.5 service manual.
Phase Linear 4000 Series I,II, 700B Series I,II, Carver C-4000 champagne, black, C-4000t, TX-11a, AR-XB, Pioneer PL-512, Speakerlab K
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: Carverfest Manuals Exchange

jvandyke_texas, scanning them in high quality mode and putting them into PDFs makes them easier to share and avoids the photocopying costs. Also, having them scanned means that you can blow the diagrams up on screen and print to the size you want.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

jvandyke_texas

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:15 pm

I guess you've never had to fix an amp with a poorly scanned manual.
Schematics can't be read.
Phase Linear 4000 Series I,II, 700B Series I,II, Carver C-4000 champagne, black, C-4000t, TX-11a, AR-XB, Pioneer PL-512, Speakerlab K
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:57 pm

That is why I suggest the WE scan them, properly this time. The problem with buying most of the sanned manuals out there is that they were badly copied from bad faxes of bad photocopies. 20 year ago people didn't take the time to align the pages in the photocopier, scanner (or fax for that matter) and there is only so much you can do with badly copied originals.

A properly scanned manual or diagram is MUCH better than any photocopy I have ever seen. Modern scanners and scanning software have made HUGE strides in the past 4 or 5 years. If they can scan a 35mm slide and enlarge it to 8"X10" format with no loss of quality, then it should do wonders on something as simple as schematics.

I'll scan some clean shematics from an original service manual here and blow up a 1" square portion of it to full page size to show just how good a scanned document can be.

Scanned documents have gotten a bad rap in the past and deservedly so.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:09 am

Thats true... you need the right toy for the right job !!!! Mine's on its way :-$
Microtek 9800XL

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:34 pm

There is nothing preventing us from both photocopying and scanning the manuals if that is what people are more comfortable with.
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:54 am

JVD I think you've got a great idea.

I have also had to beat my head against the wall when trying to repair an amp with only a poorly scanned schematic to work from. I have had to make long distance calls to other people across the country who have origial schematics, just so I could ask someone what my blurred out schematic is supposed to say. Its very frustrating.

If anything can be done to improve the quality and the availability of documentation, that would be a benefit to everyone.

It seems like a good idea that if anyone has manuals, they should bring them along. You can decide just what you want to do with them when you're act Carverfset. If someone brings a computer and a scanner along that would be all the better.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:08 pm

Well, my new toy came in 2 nights ago... HOLY SHIT this thing is BIG !!!
I can scan a full A3 (11" x 17") (2 pages at once) in about 45 seconds. Then I made a custom macro on Photoshop, to rip the 11x17 image into (2) 8.5 x 11 pages, and save both... Takes about a 1 minute total, to scan and save 2 pages. So about 30 seconds per page into a 300 dpi files.

I also installed another program, which will convert all the scanned text into full blown editable text. So the text can be coppied and pasted right off the page, after the scan is complete. This thing KICKS ASS !!!! Now I know why they cost $900-1200 !!!!

Here's just how big this fkr is....
Attachments
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg (109.31 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg (99.4 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Nice. I have a legal-sized 1200 dpi scanner with auto document feed. the ADF is handy, but the legal size limits my ability to scan books and schematics unless you're willing to break them down.

Let me make a suggestion about scanning schematics -- IMO 300dpi just isn't good enough. I think 600dpi should be the absolute minimum, and 1200 dpi should be the standard if you can swing it.

Yes, it takes longer to scan at 600 or 1200 dpi, but its worth it. Better to spend more time doing it at the highest possible resolution the first time, so that you don't have to do it all over again later.

I have the ability to consolidate the graphic images as e-books in the PDF format if that helps any.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:45 pm

What I would like to see out of the exchange is to get back the manuals I lent someone last year. Can`t remember who. And just as an after thought whoever has my ALIII+ crossover I`d like that back too. [-o< [-o<
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:17 pm

Should I bring my box of service manuals with me to scan if you guys are bringing the equ with you???
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:22 pm

Might as well... No idea how much will get done, but if it's there, it's at least do-able

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Might as well... No idea how much will get done, but if it's there, it's at least do-able

Put DevilSpawn on it; that should keep him out of trouble for a while!!!
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:33 am

It just so happened that every single manual that I have was on the list of manuals that were missing from the database all totaling 8 or 9 manuals.
Now here is the part that I forgot to mention.... every manual that I have is an original Carver printed owners or service manual. Non of them are a scanned version which appears to be a good thing from what I have just read.

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:32 am

Rainman wrote:It just so happened that every single manual that I have was on the list of manuals that were missing from the database all totaling 8 or 9 manuals.
Now here is the part that I forgot to mention.... every manual that I have is an original Carver printed owners or service manual. Non of them are a scanned version which appears to be a good thing from what I have just read.

Rainman

8 or 9 manuals???? There are over Carver 250 products listed in the Database but many of them are part of a series that share common manuals. I'm going to add a column to the Database for Owners and Service manuals available.

By my count we are probably closer to 200 or so missing manuals including the service and owners manuals + another 50 or so that are so poorly scanned as to be basically useless (mostly service manuals), so we still have a LONG way to go to have a full and complete library of all the manuals available. Add to that all the datasheets and ads and it really starts to add up. Every single manual helps us get there.
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 08'