FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:34 am

Platinum and Silver model woofers

<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:28 am

Platinum and Silver model woofers

Has anyone come up with a replacement surround for these unusual 12" woofers? I have at least 4 that need surrounds, but the size is apparently unique. None of the professional places seem to have anything that is appropriate.
The closest I've found so far are the replacement foam surrounds for the AR 11" woofer, although it seems to depend on how close the surround measurements are that are quoted for these. If all else fails, I may just go ahead and order some and give it a shot.

Maybe someone out here has a source?
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:17 am

Forget trying to fix them, buy new woofers from http://www.dynavox.com for $25.00 a piece.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:47 am

Dynavox replacements for Platinum/Silver woofers

The ones that look close to spec. are the WP-1220. Impedance is correct, QTS. is also about right. These look very much like to original ALS woofers. The later Platinum and Silver models used woofers that looked more conventional, and were made by Tonnegan. The biggest difference,
IIRC is efficiency. The later units were supposed to be a little more efficient, and had a little higher XMAX. Of course, that might have been just sales hype for a product with a lower production cost.

Thanks for the tip, I'll send them an inquiry!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:49 am

The SW-1220FL is the OEM replacement for the Originals. The WP-1220 is the OEM replacement for the Plats and Silver's.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:15 am

Platinum/Silver replacement woofers

Hummm.........? You say $25 ea.? When I contacted them they now say $35 ea., plus about a month delay before they have them in stock, on the East coast anyway.

Where did you buy yours?
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:27 am

Quess the price increased since last year, like everything else. Dynavox is the only place that sells them. I understood they were expecting a new shipment in June, looks like it's been delayed.

<<

RMParker

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:01 pm

Calling F1Nut - Dynavox WP1220 is the replace for Silvers?

Dynavox site says the WP-1220 is a 16 ohm speaker. Are you sure F1. Going to swap all six out. Sent 4 of my OEM woofers out to NewFoam.com and they came back looking really nasty. Still need to do two more but for 75.00 each I just a soon get 6 new ones and end the nightmare.

The OEM woofer says Carver #618-0003-00 and 291TNB.

Thanks again F1Nut. Don't know where I would turn for advise without you and George.

By the way, took yours and Georges advice and sent both my TFM42 and M4.0T out for updating. They matched them while they were there and they now sound outstanding! Also retired my CT7 and replaced with a Primare PRE30. WOW, what an amazing upgrade.

Thank you my friend.
If lifes a beach, I'm in the mountains...
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:06 pm

Re: Calling F1Nut - Dynavox WP1220 is the replace for Silver

RMParker wrote:Are you sure F1.

Yep

<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:23 pm

Sure enough to make me order 8 for my Platinums last September. $25 a pop from Dynavox (Orevox). 8 woofs delivered from California to Jersey for about $250 bucks.
<<

RMParker

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:44 am

F1Nut & George - Thanks

George wrote:Sure enough to make me order 8 for my Platinums last September. $25 a pop from Dynavox (Orevox). 8 woofs delivered from California to Jersey for about $250 bucks.

Again I thank you my friends. Hope some day to return the favor.
If lifes a beach, I'm in the mountains...
<<

RMParker

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:41 pm

Platnium & Silvers Woofer Replacements Confirmed

Ordered the recommended WP1220 woofers from Dynavox/Orevox today. Had them fax me the invoice. Ordering 6 is $35.00 each and 20.92 UPS, A Total of 230.92 from California to Washington State. Wow all 6 new for under $250.00. Wasted that much (Newfoam.com) trying to repair just 4.

DON'T REFOAM - BUY NEW - I LEARNED THE HARD WAY!

Invoice even reads as follows in the description:

12" 20oz 16ohm Platinum Amazing Loudspeakers Paper Cone Hi-Q, 90 W 1" VC Long Excursion, Wide Roll Surround, #618-00003-00 (WP-1220)

Contact number is 626-333-6803. Orevox USA Corp., 248 North Puente Ave., City of Industry, CA 91746

Terms are mail in check or COD. No Credit Cards.

Hope The Above Helps Others As I was Graciously Helped By F1 & George.

Again Thanks Guys!
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Like Brynner and McQueen at the end of "The Magnificent Seven", F1nut and George ride off into the sunset, their work being done.

You're quite welcome my friend.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:08 pm

You're very welcome.

George........what can I say.......classic, just classic.

<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:53 am

I'm glad you feel that way Jesse. Incidentally, you're Brynner, I'M McQueen. Still feel that way?
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:53 am

George, you can be whomever you'd like, but you're still older than me.

Next

Return to Carver Speakers