It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:47 am

Format wars?

<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: Format wars?

I had read the first article before, but the second one was most enlightening. In my mind it boils down to the quality of the manufactured CD will determine how it sounds. It was the same with vinyl. Same album made at different times from same master tapes sounded different, even on the same turntable. Equipment to get the binary off the disk can affect the sound, but what I took away is that it wouldn't necessarily be the SAME zeros and ones as were put down, but autocorrection would put them back together.

So here I am, with all my zeros and ones on a hard disk, corrected by the mechanisms built into CD readers. The original media isn't in play anymore. If I let you download a copy, will your copy sound different than my copy on identical equipment. I think not.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:20 pm

Apparently, Peter McGrath of Wilson Speakers thought about the same thing at one time. From a footnote on the second of those articles...

"At the 1992 Winter CES, Meridian's Bob Stuart copied a CD to a CD-R of music that engineer and high-end retailer Peter McGrath had recorded. Bob played the original CD, then the CD-R. Seconds into the CD-R, Peter jumped from his chair and exclaimed, "That's impossible!" "

I don't know how all the other steps in between would play into it. But if you're broadcasting it, I think most of those processes are bit rate reduced feeds, so quality wouldn't really be much of a consideration anymore anyway. Thanks for the conversation about it, Bill. The mass storage and PB systems have to be growing. The idea of being able to play anything from your library, and then jump out on the web to find out more about the artist or additional recordings, is pretty appealing! Unfortunately, so many of them are yet holding themselves back with reduced bandwidth systems, when that's neither physically nor monetarily necessary.

The more I think about the idea of trying to find some audio figures that we could get to come to a Carverfest, the neater that idea sounds. The thrill it was, to have the set down and listen to some great stories and then the Q and A session with Mr. Carver, was extremely memorable! Surely, others feel that way too. (??) To expand on that in the future would be a huge bonus for the event and everybody that would get to participate!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Well, Apple Lossless (or any lossless format, like WAV or FLAC) claims to be bit perfect. I liken it to a backup of my system, where I put all of the information on my system onto DVD-RWs. If my system gets corrupted, I can get back the programs and data from the disks exactly as they were when I saved them. I've done this on occasion for my financial information files, and it always comes back exactly as I saved it.

So when music is on my hard disk, it is actually bits (0s and 1s — no jitter here), not pits on a disc. All the comparisons I've seen have actual media involved, rotating and being converted to that quasi-digital HF format. If that is "played" I can see where sound differences can come in the timing of the zero crosses), but if it's zeros and ones coming out of a memory chip into a true DAC, only the DAC can make a difference in the sound.

What this leads me to think is that it would be better to rip your CDs to a true digital storage device in a lossless manner, and then play them with that device rather than a CD player.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Return to CARVERFEST 08'