ebay item # 180305559279
<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:29 pm

Re: He's At It Again, Folks!

Damn.... beautiful! =D>
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:58 pm

I'm speechless!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:24 am

Re: A link to the actual auction........

In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Hey Rich, please buy these and then do an "ultimate tube amp" road show. dibs on 1st in line... :lol: :lol:

Reading the Q&A from this auction can really give you a bad case of OCCD...
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 pm

I just drool every time I see those puppies.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Here's the Q&A section to date:

Questions from other members : Stereo pair tube amplifiers amps, KT88, Telefunken

Question & Answer

Q: Hi Bob, I would also love to have a schematic of your wonderful amp, being a tube junkie myself. My current system besides having 5 channels of tube audio also includes a theater grand II, a phase linear 400, and a phase linear 700 series II. Certainly have enjoyed your products! Brian in Parkersburg, WV Nov-13-08
A: Hi '-wv, Brian, Wow! five channels of tube audio all at once. It's nice to find others as crazy and dedicated to tubes as we are! I'll be happy to send you a schematic. Please contact me about a week after the close of the auction to make sure I don't forget. And thanks for having and enjoying my other designs; knowing that really does make my day. Bob Carver
Q: Dear Bob, So good of you to stand with your amp and talk with all the tube lovers. When all is said and done its all about the community, the designs and the friendships. I have a review project that may make you smile. The 700 series 1. Its a wonderful amplifier and its magic still holds fast after all these years. I share your belief that there are only a handful of basic circuits but many offshoot iterations of them. I like the old 6bq5 integrateds from Heathkit/dyna/Stromberg...etc. To the point: I've been planning this vintage review of your 700 series 1 for Stereophile and to write an interview standout "sidebar" into the piece. It would be great to chat--when you have a chance drop me an email. Sincerely, Peter Breuninger, Stereophile pbstereophile@aol.com Nov-12-08
A: Hi Peter, You sure do bring back some great memories; I recently bought a 6BQ5 Stromberg Carlson tube amp taken from an old console designed in the 1950's. It doesn't work, but I plan to fix it up and put it in my audio museum. I can't wait to read your review of my first Phase 700. Thanks for tripping me down Memory Lane, Bob Carver.
Q: Hi Would you consider shipping this item to Canada? Thanks Art Nov-11-08
A: Hi 'res, Art, I would be happy to ship these amps to Canada. I went to school at the UBC in Vancouver and spent some very happy time in your land of the blue water dolphin. Thanks for writing, Bob Carver
Q: Bob, Just curious, why didn't you incorporate a triode option, since usually triode sound does have a very seductive transparent effect. I am using Strathern/EMIT/Magnepan ribbons on my QRS Infinitys and the triode sound makes them sound very unique. Nov-10-08
A: Hi 'ster I did, as we shall see. Your question is deep, and my answer is as complex as your question is deep. So sit back, stay with me, and enjoy the intellectual and scientific journey. The triode sound owes it's particular characteristic to the fact that when an output tube is connected as a triode, the source impedance of the power amp drops to a very low value - often below 0.50 ohms. That's pure theory, but I happen to own a vintage Soundcraftman 500, pure Williamson, triode connected output section designed by Sid Smith of Marantz 8B and Model Nine fame. I measured it and found confirmation with theory, as well as with it's published specifications. Measured exactly 0.380 ohms. It DID sound different from the pentode sound, but that "seductive transparent effect" depended critically on the loudspeaker. On most of my speakers, including my new Cinema Ribbons and my friend's QRS's, the sound was just stunning with my amps. That's because the DC restorer allows the source impedance of the amp to be adjusted by the rear panel bias control. Sid's 500 sounded great too, but not greater, and of course it only delivered about 23 watts. When an output tube is configured for triode operation, it wastes about 60% of its available power supply voltage due to the fact it cannot pull its plate voltage to ground well. In addition, the plate voltage must be reduced in value to match the maximum permissible screen voltage, further reducing the output power. Bad news all around if you like power. With my amp, The DC restorer, in combination with the bias current adjustment range, allows a very low source resistance(approximately 0.30 ohms for the triode sound),AND more than 180 watts. Most tube amps have a recommended OPTIMUM bias setting for output tube idle current; my amp has a RANGE of recommended idle currents, allowing the sound to be controlled from triode sound to regulated screen(classic tube)sound - my favorite by far most of the time. Great question, Bob Carver
Q: Hi Mr Carver would you take a money order from me if I win.Thanks Bert. Nov-10-08
A: Hi '63 Bert, I would be happy to take a money order from you. And if you live close by, I will deliver the amps myself and help set them up with your speakers. Thanks for asking, Bob Carver.
Q: Bob, Are you the same Bob Carver I met at the Jockey Club Hotel around '75 at the Vegas CES of that year? You had a lot to say then about building amps that would show how an inexpensive design could produce the same quality of sound as the most expensive amps, if it were done using old ideas presented in a new way. Well, it seems that history has proven you did that quite well. This looks like a new version of your old song. Only this time you are using the best of old ideas, old equipment, and old friends to create a new expression of the audio ideals I heard from you 30+ years ago. The question is, why are you selling this one of a kind creation? And, are you planning to go further with this design idea? Will it be a progenitor and standard of a new line of equipment like the Silver Sevens? Or, will this amp stand as a one-off with never another in the audio world to match it? Thanks for your good works over the years, PK Nov-10-08
A: Hi 'PK, It is I, the very same Bob Carver. When we met at the Las Vegas Jockey Club so long ago, I was introducing my Sonic Hologram, the year was '79 0r '80, and I was just starting my Carver Corp. days. Wow! What a memory you have! As far as going further with this design, I have no intentions, none at all, of building these amps with parts other than from my museum. But I'm not out of parts from my vintage stash yet, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to build at least one more pair. Thanks for the happy sentiments and deep questions, Bob Carver.
Q: Dear Mr. Carver, I am very excited to see a pair of amplifiers designed by yourself and Tim De Paravicini. Unfortunately, I am unlikely to be able to afford to purchase them. I do build tube amplifiers for myself, once in awhile, and was wondering if you would be willing to make the schematic available. I'm not enough of an electrical engineer to design amplifiers for myself, and there's not, as you note in your advertisement, a lot of new and interesting designs out there. So it would be very exciting to put together a pair of these amplifiers. Thank you in advance for your response. Ben Nov-10-08
A: Hi 'fm Ben, I will be happy to make a schematic available to you. The big problem will be finding output transformers good enough for the job. The second problem, though not so tough would be the big power transformer. Let me think about it and I'll try to steer you towards some suitable units. I would sell you a pair of my output transformers but I love them too much to do that. They are pretty special. I've had them since I was in college, and I think I loved them more than my girlfriend. Please contact me after the auction and after I've have had a chance to look around for something that will work okay. You are one courageous man! Good luck, warmest and best regards, Bob Carver
Q: will you be selling anymore of these in the future, or is this the only set? Im a 22 year old in love with the sound of tube amps and looking for something amazing to add to my collection and listen to. James Nov-10-08
A: Hi '515, I still have some of my vintage parts left, which I have "stolen" from my audio museum to build these amps. So my answer is I don't really know for sure, but probably will build at least one more set. Since you're 22 years old, I'm extra glad these amps will probably last over 50 years. I love tube amps too! Thanks for writing. Bob Carver
Q: Does your amp use negative feedback and is it a class a design? Thanks, Jason 574 329-1850 Nov-10-08
A: Hi 'walker, Yes, this amplifier uses negative feedback; it has a switch on the front panel to choose between classical amounts (20 dB) and contemporary amounts(9 db). Because of the DC restorer circuit, it operates in class A up to about 80 watts, then hands off to class AB for the rest of the way up to its maximum output. Great question. One last thing: This is the fourth pair of these amps that we have put up here on eBay, and during the last auction, I made several commitments to many folks who asked questions. Shortly thereafter my computer was completely scrubbed and I lost all of it! Soooo, if you are one of those folks, please contact me once again and let me know what it was I promised you and this time I will make sure I follow through. I apologize, I have no excuse, only that reason. Bob Carver
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

garcianc

TFM-35

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:44 pm

elgrau wrote:Reading the Q&A from this auction can really give you a bad case of OCCD...

TNRabbit wrote:Here's the Q&A section to date:....

[-X
Not Fair
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:59 pm

weitrhino wrote:Pair of Bob Carver hand built tube monoblocks M500 M500t C-9 AV-634 (2)

weitrhino,

You are so lucky to have a pair of these great amps, I would love to be-able to bid on them
but I know my wife would kill me.

OCCD has already cost me $3250.00 this month, 1 x Ultimate Receiver II, 1 x Power Amp 300 x 2 and my nicest
toy Classic Vacuum Pre-amp with Phono Stage.

Brian.
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 pm

You are so lucky to have a pair of these great amps, I would love to be-able to bid on them
but I know my wife would kill me.

OCCD has already cost me $3250.00 this month, 1 x Ultimate Receiver II, 1 x Power Amp 300 x 2 and my nicest
toy Classic Vacuum Pre-amp with Phono Stage.

Your wife would kill you?? OCCD says: Just don't tell her!! Duh!
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:.....OCCD has already cost me $3250.00 .....
I'll see your $3250 and raise you $6000 and my pants (aka control of the family finances)......it can be a vicious disease
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

[/quote]I'll see your $3250 and raise you $6000 and my pants (aka control of the family finances)......it can be a vicious disease[/quote]

Rich,

You lucky boy, what new toy did you get this month.

Brian.
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Oh, I didn't see he was talking about a month.....sorry, I've spent over $6000 in amps and parts in the last YEAR, not month.
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Well, I just misted it. It sold for $4712.12

I was over bid in the last 20 sec's my bid was $4662.12 :(

Lets hope Bob makes some more of these, so I can try again.

A very said Brian
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Very sorry, Brian. I really thought they would run up another thousand. The last 2 pair went for around 6k. But, if you're ever in Baltimore give me a shout.
Next

Return to !! New Products !!