FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:24 am

Anaconda Speaker Cables

<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Anaconda Speaker Cables

So whats the deal with the silver wire vs copper???

:-k
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:10 am

HRDROKN wrote:So whats the deal with the silver wire vs copper???

:-k

I hope I can answer your question in the most simple way possible with some basic info that I am hoping most everyone considers acceptable information so we will not have to hear from the "dispute everything" crazy ones who most likely "roll their turds into little balls and eat crayons"
So once again here we go, and I hope I don't regret this.........

conducting materials in order of their ability to pass electrons
1. silver
2. copper
3. gold
4. aluminum
5. iron
6. steel
7. brass

Interestingly, gold is not as good as copper or silver but used on connectors to pass signals because it will not tarnish with time. Contrary to popular audio myth, you would not want a solid gold cable, a gold plated cable, or a gold impregnated cable as there would be noticeable audio loss.

Silver is the best conductor in the world and copper the second best (by about 7%). The problem with silver is the cost: solid silver sells for $125 a pound while copper sells for less than $1 per pound. For no-loss audio performance you need a pure conductor of either copper or silver. Not everyone can afford solid silver, so copper is the obvious choice. There are many types of copper choices so I will list them as I read them.
1. PCOCC (Pure Copper by Ohno Continuous Casting) found in only the very best cables
2. LC-OFC (Linear Crystal Oxygen Free Copper) found in a few high-end audio cables
3. OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) which you find in most high-end audio cables
4. TPC (Tough Pitch Copper) unprocessed copper like you might find in your home’s wiring

I hope this was of some help for you. I think most of this info should be widely accepted by the normal people here in the forum. I don't want to go any further with this subject because you really don't want to stir up the Scientists group because they will stop eating their crayons in order to continue their life mission of convincing everyone that Everything Is Impossible and Everyone Else Is Full Of $hit!

Sincerely, Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:31 am

What Rainman said. The atomic structure of silver has more free electrons in orbit of the nucleus than copper has. As far as I'm awere, the list above is accurate in in order regarding atomic structure.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:07 am

Well, that's acording to Neils Bohr — which we know is wrong. Quantum mechanics is the real answer, with more electron in the appropriate quantum states.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:29 am

BillD wrote:Well, that's acording to Neils Bohr — which we know is wrong. Quantum mechanics is the real answer, with more electron in the appropriate quantum states.

Actually Bill that is according to the owner of Audioquest, the research and development dept. at PS Audio inc, Motorola Corporation, and lastly the university that is known as M.I.T.
As it has been stated this may all be a matter of opinion, but considering this group that all happen to have the same opinion I tend to think that this group is most likely to have the order of things correct.

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:41 pm

I don't think Bill's arguing the order; just reminding that electrons in orbit (like tiny moons) is an old idea that has been supplanted with quantum theory......Electrons are in quantum states, not orbits.....
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:42 pm

True, Rich, but Bohr's theory of the atom sure is a lot easier to comprehend. Unfortunately, it propelled him to both the top and the bottom of the scientific field in the respect department.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:45 pm

BillD wrote:True, Rich, but Bohr's theory of the atom sure is a lot easier to comprehend......
True, but QED isn't too bad if you have no common sense ;) then you don't get hung up on things like a quantum particle's spin has nothing to do with actual rotation and isn't integral.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:37 pm

For whatever it may be worth, I've read that silver coated copper wire should be avoided due to dissimilar metals causing different resistances and arrival times of the signals. :-k :)
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:14 am

Well, the rest of the materials have come in to finish these "monsters" (no pun intended)

I have decided to skip the heatshrink that everyone else uses, and hand wrap every end of all the cables.
I think it looks WAY better, and adds a little something to the idea/look of the finished product.
It will probably quadruple the amount of time it would take to use heatshrink, but I think the finished look is more than worth the time.

Here's a picture of the sample I made up. Comments please......

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:17 am

Looks like dogshit....

is that the best you can do?!?

:-" :-" :-" :-"
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:33 am

TNRabbit wrote:Looks like dogshit....

Don't you have some anal cavity to go search ??? :?
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:37 am

Toy Maker wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:Looks like dogshit....

Don't you have some anal cavity to go search ??? :?

Haven't searched yours in a while...you still toss salad?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:02 am

Only yours big boy... :-#

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:23 am

Just my opinion here James, go with the heat shrink. It just looks more professional, plus I would imagine with the twisting, yanking and pulling that happens with SC's there's less of a possibility of compromising the cable over the long haul.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
PreviousNext

Return to CARVERaudio.com Products