Scarabeo's System

At some point I have had it all but now down to this:
2 X 1.5t Amp's
1 C-2 Pre-amp
1 Carver speaker control system
Pair of Amazing Platinum Speakers
60" Ribbons 4 X 12" woofers
Got em new around 89 or so...
Here are some other "RIBBON" Speakers I have as well, What imaging!!!
Last edited by Scarabeo on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:44 pm

Re: Scarabeo's System

Welcome Scarabeo. Very very nice system
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:21 pm

Welcome! Wow, how are the amp's sounding? Still sound good? I hear when Carver pushes 20 years they should be sent in for refurbish. Just wondering. Welcome to the board!! A great place to be. Watch out for Steve Ford, I hear he's been trying to get on that show, Dancing with the stars! hehe.
<<

rob

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:22 am

Nice setup man! If you get a chance post some pics sometime.
C-4000, M-200t, TX-11a
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:26 am

rob wrote:Nice setup man! If you get a chance post some pics sometime.

I will try a few here: As you can see in picture #2 rotten foam surround in bottom woofer.
Also I have another Audio set with other "RIBBON" Speakers, That is in my Theater room with a
Projector - Drop down screen etc...(SEE MY MAIN PHOTO).
TEMP SETUP! All this stuff goes in another room being re-done. Image
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

snarffydoggy

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:35 am

VERY NICE
snarffydoggy
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:58 am

Scarabeo wrote:At some point I have had it all but now down to this:
2 X 1.5t Amp's
1 C-2 Pre-amp
1 Carver speaker control system
Pair of Amazing Platinum Speakers
60" Ribbons 4 X 12" woofers
Got em new around 89 or so...
Here are some other "RIBBON" Speakers I have as well, What imaging!!!

What is that?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:59 am

Whoa,,moma ! It's as big as a door.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:32 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
Scarabeo wrote:What is that?
[/color]

To tell you the truth I have no idea who made them, I have been told they are older Martin Logans.
Each speaker has 4 panels and each one is huge. You must use a sub with them but the stereo imaging
is out of this world--Way better then the platinum's. Sadly there is no name stamped any place and
they could be some older concept speaker but any how they are from the late 80's
Any one ever seen these before? Let me know...
<<

docadillac

TFM-25

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:51 pm

Very nice sir. Those rectangular speakers sure look intriguing.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:28 pm

docadillac wrote:Very nice sir. Those rectangular speakers sure look intriguing.

Thank you and intriguing they are, At one point these were at the M & K Factory and I wonder if they made them, Most likely not and I have been told that they are old Martin's,,,Wish I known 100%.
Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes :)
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:28 pm

Scarabeo wrote:To tell you the truth I have no idea who made them, I have been told they are older Martin Logans.
Each speaker has 4 panels and each one is huge. You must use a sub with them but the stereo imaging
is out of this world--Way better then the platinum's. Sadly there is no name stamped any place and
they could be some older concept speaker but any how they are from the late 80's
Any one ever seen these before? Let me know...

I can almost guarantee that those are NOT Martin Logans of any sort. As the Carver Forum's unofficial "Martin Logan Head", I can honestly say I have never seen anything like those speakers, and I've DEFINITELY never seen MLs--prototype or production--that look like that.

Martin Logan has always made Electrostatic speakers--not ribbons. If there are no markings at all on those speakers, I'd venture to say that they were home-made speakers. There are a LOT of very crafty people in this hobby, and given enough time, money, and access to a good woodshop, just about anything is possible--just ask ToyMaker... :D

If you want, I could cross-post this pic to the Martin Logan Owners Forum, and see if anyone over there knows what these speakers are. But it's my opinion, based on what little I've seen, that they are home-brew. Could you give us a pic of the back of this speaker, or a photo of the crossover circuitry? That would help a LOT in determining if they are home-brew or industrial prototypes or whatever.

Don't get me wrong--I think they look cool as heck, and I bet they sound GREAT, but I don't think they are MLs. And this is coming from a guy who has owned pretty much nothing but MLs for almost 15 years...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:30 pm

Dreamer wrote:
Scarabeo wrote:I have no idea who made them,

I can almost guarantee that those are NOT Martin Logans of any sort.

If you want, I could cross-post this pic to the Martin Logan Owners Forum, and see if anyone over there knows what these speakers are. Could you give us a pic of the back of this speaker, or a photo of the crossover circuitry? That would help a LOT in determining if they are home-brew or industrial prototypes or whatever.

Sure, That would be great to cross-post them and see what comes out of it! I will get some more pictures of them in back and so forth to show more of a idea on them but there is no crossover's in these and they are full range with as good as bass as such panels could play but I use a sub and cut them off at 150Hz. Thanks for the info and check back some time this week end and I should be able to post some great pictures of the panels front/back and maybe in side etc.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:32 am

Scarabeo,

I finally got around to posting a pic of your speaker on the Martin Logan forum, and the general consensus over there is that it is 1) NOT a ML speaker of any sort, prototype or production, and 2) it might be some sort of door for a sauna or something. (Those guys can some off as a little snooty sometimes, but they don't mean nothin' by it.) ;)

I thought we had a hit--one of the members thought it was an Eminent Technologies speaker form the late 1980s but after closer inspection and comparing it to the pics of that ET speaker, we decided it wasn't the same...

We're still looking though, but I'm starting to think this beast is some sort of home-made speaker, put together by a VERY talented speaker builder...

I'll keep you updated.

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:11 am

Dreamer wrote:Scarabeo,

I finally got around to posting a pic of your speaker on the Martin Logan forum,
I thought we had a hit--one of the members thought it was an Eminent Technologies speaker form the late 1980s but after closer inspection and comparing it to the pics of that ET speaker, we decided it wasn't the same...

We're still looking though, but I'm starting to think this beast is some sort of home-made speaker, put together by a VERY talented speaker builder...

I'll keep you updated.

--Richard

Richard
AWE-SOME and Thanks! I can tell you that they are from the late 80's to early 90's at the latest - If your ever in the Palm Springs area come and check them out...
My Platinum's are a great sounding speaker but they sound / Harsh after spending some time with the "DOOR" speakers! Sonic Hologram and the use of my Carver speaker control box is,,,,What it sounds like in Heaven. I imagine owning the Infinity IRS Beta Sub box's with the 4-12" woofers for the bass for these as the BEST sounding Speakers "I" ever heard but for now just hooking up the woofers on the carver Amazing's add's to the bass and is good -- I may get new woofers for the Platinum's and use the old ones in a home made panel and use a Electronic crossover at 150Hz and take all the bass of the "DOOR" speakers...
With owning BOTH pair I may end up selling them but its hard to do unless I at least know something to sell them by - I need them tested = Power handling ?Hz to ???Hz etc. I could just add a Sub and brake them down for a sweet 5.1 system there is 8 Panels four per speaker and no crossover,,,Still waiting to get back my Camera so I can show more photo's of the panels front/back and inside :-" coming soon......

James
Next

Return to List / Update Your System