It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:40 am

Dreamer System Starts From Scratch...

<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:36 pm

Dreamer System Starts From Scratch...

We're moving again...

The new house poses some VERY interesting acoustic challenges, and I'm still trying to figure out, in my head, how I'm going to approach re-configuring my rig.

I'm probably going to split it out into 2 systems--a 5.1 HT system in the living room (using the little MLs as mains, and maybe some Celestions as rears), and putting the Sequels and the Silver 7t's in the master bedroom for a dedicated 2-channel system. That way I can have the best of both worlds--a ML-based 5.1 rig for movies, and then a separate dedicated 2-channel rig for CDs, vinyl, and possibly a RTR tape setup sometime in the future.

We're beginning the move next weekend (the 15th of Nov. but I probably won't be moving the stereo gear up until later in Nov. or even until after Thanksgiving.

I'll be sure to take pics of this hideous procedure, and post them as we progress through the torture of relocating.

I'm looking forward to getting the opportunity (and excuse) to spend a few weeks re-tweeking my systems and playing with various configurations, but I'm NOT looking forward to the actual move. I've got some really BIG and HEAVY gear, and it's just a huge PITA to move this stuff. Luckily, I have original boxes for everything, so it should be safe for transport...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:24 am

Re: Dreamer System Starts From Scratch...

Moving is a royal pain. Good Luck and remember to baby you audio gear. Trust no one but yourself to move them.

engtaz
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:28 am

Richard, I figured since we hadn't heard from you lately that you were already in the midst of your move. Good luck!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

snarffydoggy

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:15 am

Good Luck On the Move
snarffydoggy
<<

aholloway17

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:07 pm

Well I think you will be happy you have separated the two. Despite years of tinkering I found I always settled for the sound from a combined system. That of course goes with the understanding I don't have a plethora of money to throw at a $10,000 system that could do both to my taste :-({|= . Until I separated the two and now enjoy both equally , on two systems :D
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:48 pm

OK, here is the first pic of my sew setup, or at least PART of it...

Here is my Turntable, and underneath it is my C-4000t. The C-4000t is pulling double duty--it's in the tape loop of the Krell pre and serves as a SH processor, and as a phono preamp. It does an OK job, but it's a little noisy and I REALLY need to send it back to Bob for a rebuild (or off to JVD for a SERIOUS upgrade) because the phono stage is a little more noisy than I like...

My turntable is a seriously modified Technics SL-1250, with a Sumiko headshell and Blue Point cartridge, Sumiko OFC headhell leads, custom silver/gold alloy tonearm wire, and custom silver captive RCA leads to the phono pre. It sets on a plinth of 1" thick slate, which sits on 3 aluminum TipToes (for now), which sits on an old Ikea rack.

It sounds pretty good for a 10 year old cartridge and a 30 year old TT. Sure, it's nowhere close to a VPI TNT or Oracle Delphi, or even a Clearaudio Emotion, but then again, my TT and cart and all the mods cost less than the stock tonearm on a Rega p-25, so what's not to like. I'd put my TT up against any other vintage TT out there in the "under $500" range,and I think it could easily hold it's own. It's not a "looker", bu tit's a reliable old workhorse, that's for sure...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:53 pm

Here is the first pic of my 2-channel rig--well, at least the "rack". I'm probably going to completely reorganize this (put TT on the other side, use low shelves instead of 1 tall and 1 low), but this is how it's running now. More pics to come soon...

<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:06 am

I think the red plastic storage bins are ESPECIALLY classy, Richard~ :D
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 am

They are full of vinyl and shellac (LPs and 78's). Actually there are three more on the other side of the room, and I've got 2 more in Martinsburg still in storage...

I'm thinking about buying some wood crates or building some heavy-duty plywood shelves for the vinyl. I agree, the red tubs are cheesy, but they 1) make it REALLY easy to move my records around in lots of 100 at a time, and 2) keeps ALL the dust, lint, and other stuff out of my vinyl...

Realistically, though, I'll probably just put all those tubs in the big closet in the back of this room., and drag them out when I want to spin some pizza...

<<

FesteLV

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Where are the monoblocks? :shock:
Feste
Las Vegas

C-4000t, TX-11a, Silver 9t(2), M-1.0t(2), SD/A 490t, Apogee Calipers
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:31 pm

I like the wood crate idea, you could mount casters under the crates to roll them around easy. Looking good and look forward to more pictures!
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 am

Jag, great idea with the casters. I would have never thought of that. I was thinking more like stacking the crates, with their openings facing out like bookshelves. But the idea of having them facing up, like bins in a store, on casters is VERY good...

FestLV, My beloved Silver 7t monoblocks are to the right of the rack, on the floor between my Sequels, at a right angle to the rack. Not to worry... ;)

Actually, I'm still sorting things out as to how this room is going to be staged. I'm going to change the rack again tomorrow (using two short shelves instead of 1 short and 1 tall one), and I'm still unsure as to where the vinyl is all going to actual go for storage. I'm thinking that the roll-away crates are a great solution, because I can stash several of them behind the futon, out of sight.

There's going to be a whole wall of bookshelves behind the speakers, and I'm still trying to decide how I want to deal with that too. I'm seriously considering making some sort of acoustic panels to hang on the shelves right behind the speakers, or maybe hanging a heavy curtain back there, but it depends on how it sounds when I get the shelves all loaded up with the books. Right now, I've just got a bunch of empty shelves, and the room is VERYlive. I am getting a big hump in the upper bass region, and I'm thinking that when I get these books shelved it might tame that out a little, but I think I'm probably looking at some sort of VERY creative room treatments too...

It's going to be a slow process. Our life has recently gotten VERY hectic, with some family health issues, and so my sweety has been traveling to Baltimore a lot, and it looks like I will going with here now and then, to keep her company on the drives.

But I'll try and get some pics up soon...

<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:26 am

FesteLV wrote:Where are the monoblocks? :shock:

Probably beside the speakers, outside the edges of the pic.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:21 am

The Rabbit is correct. Just to assure FestLV that the Silver 7ts still hold a prominant position in my rig, here are a few pics. Remember, this is before I put up the bookshelves (which now extend down the entire wall behind the speakers), before I re-configured the equipment rack, and before I really got the cabling all dressed and tidy.

BTW, that little wood block on the floor between the amps is actually a digital clock. It has a red LED display behind a REALLY thin layer of wood veneer, so from the side, and in bright light, it just looks like a block of wood, but from the front, in low light, it displays the time and date in 2" high red numbers...

I have also taken the little Celestion 5's off those barstools and put them in the guest room, hooked up to a small receiver. I just had them hooked up to the Silver7ts for a few days, to see how they sounded.

You will also notice, on top of the equipment rack, 2 framed photos of Bob Carver, signing my Silver7t's at CarverFest'08. Those pics will always have a prominent place in my listening room, to be sure! I also have a ML flier from the early '90's, signed by Gayle Sanders, from when I met him at a Myer Emco event in Rockville MD, when they rolled out the Prodigy. I'll get it framed someday and hang it up too. Somewhere I have some photos of me and Gayle shaking hands, but I have no idea where they are any more. Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet him again someday, and maybe have him sign the woofer grill from one of my Sequels--now THAT would be cool...

I PROMISE, I'll start a proper thread in the "List Your System" area this weekend, with a complete list of gear, and pics of both systems--the 5.1 HT setup downstairs, and my 2-channel rig pictured above--in their current (and hopefully final, for a while) configuration. I just have to take the pics at night, so I can get the "mood lighting" to show properly... ;)
--Richard

<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 am

I spent the afternoon today re-arranging my 2-ch rig AGAIN. I think I've got everything where I want it now. Sounds pretty good, looks really slick, and the room is starting to come together. I've got BOXES of books to load up on the bookshelves that pretty much line the room, and I'm sure that will change the acoustics a bit, bit I'm VERY happy with the way things came together. Our new digs are actually starting to feel like a HOME, finally.

Pics to come soon... I promise... \:D/

Next

Return to Carver Home (Theater)