FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:10 pm

lightstar help

<<

rgcards

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:28 pm

lightstar help

I have a carver lightstar reference 2.0 amp. It performed well the last
time I used it 2 years ago. However I suspect it may need to be recapped.
I cannot ship it since the transformer mounting came loose the last time I
shipped it, and I believe that it would do so again, destroying the
amplifier. Do you have any sugeestions as to how this could be serviced?
I live near chicago. I am not handy with a soldering iron but I could
probably recruit someone who is. I might have the scematics for the amp
lying around, if not any idea where I could find it? Thanks

I sent a note to rich and he suggeste rita in washington, but I don't want to ship the amp as the transormer may fall out. It was working well. By the way if anyone wants to trade for the ref1 let me know. I might drive down for it.
<<

megasat16

TFM-25

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: lightstar help

Forgive my blunder but can you fix the transformer mounting first for all Heaven's Sake? It'll short something out sooner or later when u move it around. Nothing should be lose inside an amp since there is a potential for fire hazard or at least disastrous if a short would occur.

From what I heard, Lightstar amps are precious so I wish you good luck fixing it.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Welcome rgcards.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7093
call them about it.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

rgcards

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Sorry, I was unclear. I was able to fasten the transformer back down; It is no rolling around in the amp. However, the "donut hole" in the center of the transformer is filled with a platic and the mounting bolt goes through this material. As far as I can tell the transformer is held to this plastic with just friction, or perhaps weak glue that eroded. In desperation I just shoved the plastic back in the hole and it held fine. I then bolted it back down and turned on the amp. I played without problems for two years. However I think the vibrations form a long truck ride might knock it loose again. The amp works fine, and I don't want to risk breaking it for preventive maintenance. I could just take the transforme out and ship it separately if I could be sur who ever got it would reinstall it appropriately. I also herd from someone at sunfire that transforme is irreplaceable and fairly delicate, if any of thinsulation is cut the amp becomes useless. So local expertise would be best. I migh call rita and ask her what to do.

RG
<<

megasat16

TFM-25

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:33 pm

First and Foremost - BIG WELCOME to the Carver Forum Where good folks hang out.

I apologizes if I misinterpreted your first post. It seems like something had broken off during the previous shipping and I wouldn't ship with the transformer in like that if there is a chance it could get lose again transit and damage circuit boards. If you remove the transformer and pack it very well, I think it can be shipped.

But if you call Bob's and Rita's Shop, their phone number was posted wrong on the first page. I believe the correct contact number is 425 530 9557.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. 425-530-9557 is the correct # and it has been changed to this # on the first post of that linked thread. You can always have another x-nsfrmr made to order if need be and we know where the original supplier is. Be sure to keep us posted on what you end up doing so we can direct future folks that may have this particular issue as to where to go from here.

You have options, we just want to get you the best option. The way to start is by calling Bob's shop and seeing if they can do anything for you. Another option would be to call Rolland, as he might [no promises] have an extra one lying around. Good luck and again, welcome to the forum.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:55 pm

PM SENT
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Atta boy. 8)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:59 pm

rgcards wrote:Sorry, I was unclear. I was able to fasten the transformer back down; It is no rolling around in the amp. However, the "donut hole" in the center of the transformer is filled with a platic and the mounting bolt goes through this material. As far as I can tell the transformer is held to this plastic with just friction, or perhaps weak glue that eroded. In desperation I just shoved the plastic back in the hole and it held fine. I then bolted it back down and turned on the amp. I played without problems for two years. However I think the vibrations form a long truck ride might knock it loose again. The amp works fine, and I don't want to risk breaking it for preventive maintenance. I could just take the transforme out and ship it separately if I could be sur who ever got it would reinstall it appropriately. I also herd from someone at sunfire that transforme is irreplaceable and fairly delicate, if any of thinsulation is cut the amp becomes useless. So local expertise would be best. I migh call rita and ask her what to do.

RG
You should have received a reply from Bob Carver at Rita's repair shop by now; if you follow his packing instructions it'll arrive fine; his flat fee is fantastic and it'll cover whatever is wrong.
<<

rgcards

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks for all the help. When I first had the problem I called Roland about getting a tranforme, and as I recall he doesn't have any. He was the one who told me to shove it in , so to speak, and of course that worked. Mr Carver di e-mail, whic is unprecedented in my experience with high end companies, especially as he is charges are so reasonable. I will probably e-mail him back about shipping the transformer seperately , because I think it will come out. But mainly I wnted to sy thanks so much to everybody.

The reason I want to ressurect the lightstar is I recently got some full range electrostats. I have a musical fidelity trivista and I used with my old BG radia 520's. It sounds fine and looks great. But the electrostacts dip down to 1.5ohm and I think the lightstar would really make this sing. My wife hates the look, but if she can hear the difference I think I can make it fly.

RG
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:14 pm

rgcards wrote:.....I will probably e-mail him back about shipping the transformer seperately , because I think it will come out. But mainly I wnted to sy thanks so much to everybody......RG

You could probably take the top lid off, lay down some solid expanded polysterene foam (garage insulation) around the transformer to wedge it into place when you put the lid back on. That would hold it in place during transport.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Very good advice Rich.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Rich, I remember way back that we custom packed odd shaped stuff by covering it with plastic sheeting big enough to mold around it and just past the box edges, then using some self expanding foam (like the stuff sold in spray cans to fix air leaks around windows) to fill the cavity between the plastic and the top of the box and finally putting a second sheet of plastic on top so the foam couldn't get in contact with anything else. Solid, crushproof custom fit and cheap. Better than foam sheeting, packing peanuts or even bubble wrap.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:12 pm

"rgcards", welcome to the forum. I hope you get your Sunfire amp issues all worked out--Carver/Sunfire and electrostatic speakers is a GREAT combination!

You said in your post that you recently got some "full range electrostats". I assume you mean something other than your BG radia 520's, becasue technically BGs are not electrostatics, they are "planar ribbon line source" speakers, and use a similar driver that is used in the Carver Amazing loudspeakers...

So please tell us, what did you get? Martin Logans? Acoustats? Some of the new Saunders 'stats? As a Martin Logan owner, I'm always curious about what other electrostatic speakers Carver/Sunfire fans have paired with their gear.

Welcome, and please, let us know what other gear you're running, and if you can post pics. We LOVE pictures... ;)

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:35 pm

OBI56 wrote:Rich, I remember way back that we custom packed odd shaped stuff by covering it with plastic sheeting big enough to mold around it and just past the box edges, then using some self expanding foam (like the stuff sold in spray cans to fix air leaks around windows) to fill the cavity between the plastic and the top of the box and finally putting a second sheet of plastic on top so the foam couldn't get in contact with anything else. Solid, crushproof custom fit and cheap. Better than foam sheeting, packing peanuts or even bubble wrap.

Obi,
One of the amps I got off ebay was packed that way (usung 'great stuff') except he had enclosed the whole thing inside a solid block of it; I had to cut it out! great idea though
Next

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)