edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Edriz's "Vintage Junk"

carver2.jpg
carver2.jpg (205.9 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
wall2.jpg
wall2.jpg (206.9 KiB) Viewed 2052 times

Okay, here it is, My "Vintage Junk" in all its glory. This is it, My stereo, for what its worth. But, I like it. It all works to perfection, and I think it does exactly what I want it to do. Luckily it's all back where it belongs too. Ya see, those Carver seperates and lascalas I actually sold to a guy 23 years ago. i just got them back this year on Mothers day. I won't tell ya how much I sold them for because there was a bunch of other gear that was sold with those things I mentioned but I got them back for the whopping sum of $100. Now those Lascalas didn't look quite like this. Guess i should have posted a pic of the before. Okay, lets see what i can find.
100_0173.JPG
100_0173.JPG (714.56 KiB) Viewed 2046 times

There ya go, if I'm doing this right, thats what the lascalas looked like when i got them back. The crossovers were all rusted but believe it or not, they worked. One had a blown woofer though.

I called Klipsch and got an exact replacement woofer and about 4 days later put that in and I took a brass wire brush to the Xovers and scrubed them babies. I tell ya, the sounded great. But, even though, I decided to do a bit of upgrading. Hey, they are 27 years old so i called Bob at B&K and got a pair of A/4500 Crossovers and his Crites CT-125 tweeters. Holy Sheep Shit what a differnce. These babies will sure peel paint now. My biggest problem is keeping pictues on the walls. I may replace the woofers with Crites if someone can convince me it would be worth the investment.

Oh, I did make one modification. See the risers under the lascalas. I ported the bass bins. This helps brings the low frequencies down from the mid 40hz range to the mid 30 hz range. Does it really help. By my ears, yes. Did I test it scientifically with some sort of scope. Nope. I don't believe in scientific data anyway when it is involved with audio anyway. I believe only in what my ears hear.

Anyway, this is my "Vintage Junk"
And to my ears It's ..."Loud,Proud,Clean and Mean"
Currently In Use
Current Rack; Carver M-4.0t Power Amp, Carver C-4000t Pre Amp,Empire 598III Turntable, Denon DL-103R cart/stylus,Pioneer RT-909 Reel To Reel,Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck,DBX Pro Series 231 Dual Channel 31 band EQ,Pioneer PDR-555RW CD,DBX-3bx,Berwun Research 7000A TNE,DBX-224x DS TypeII NR, Klipsch Lascalas "Loud,Proud,Clean & Mean"
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: Edriz's "Vintage Junk"

Love the system.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:46 pm

That's my kind of junk. =D> =D> =D> =D>
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Klipsch speaks....2kewl!!!!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:07 pm

SWEET!!!! I like!
<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:45 am

Hey, Thanks guys, I sure do appreciate all the nice comments. Sorry about getting those pics so large. I don't know why they came out so big. I even resized them for the AK forum and used the same resized photos for here. Guess before I post anymore I better experiment with resizing a bit smaller. Maybe by weeks end I should have a second M-400 up there on the rack. I wonder if it's okay to pair up a M-400 with my M-400a though.

I'm still wondering about that switch on the M-400 and what position that should be in. I won't be using as a mono amp and I'm not even sure how I'll be using it. I guess I should use one amp for the Bass and maybe one for the mid horns and tweeters? I really didn't want to get into buying an active crossover and I also heard that bridging wasn't a great idea either. Soon though I do want to send my original M-400a out to Rita for a complete rebuild. It does need it. The poor thing is 28 year old now and has withstood a house fire so I think it deserves a bit of pampering. Also, the Pioneer SX-1980 needs to get back into rotation at some point in time. I can't leave that beast sit idle for too long. Not good for it to not be used. I should come up with some sort of schedule. Only problem is that sucker is Sooooooo heavy but it sure is purty and I love the big meters.

But I also love the way the Carvers and Lascalas sound together. I honestly bel;ieve they were made for each other while I think the big Pioneer wasn't designed with big horn speakers in mind. But the 1980 does really shine with my 901 series V's.

Ed
Currently In Use
Current Rack; Carver M-4.0t Power Amp, Carver C-4000t Pre Amp,Empire 598III Turntable, Denon DL-103R cart/stylus,Pioneer RT-909 Reel To Reel,Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck,DBX Pro Series 231 Dual Channel 31 band EQ,Pioneer PDR-555RW CD,DBX-3bx,Berwun Research 7000A TNE,DBX-224x DS TypeII NR, Klipsch Lascalas "Loud,Proud,Clean & Mean"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:59 am

I thought those were 901s in the top of your listening room...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:25 am

TNRabbit wrote:I thought those were 901s in the top of your listening room...

Yes, there are Bose 901~Series V's on top and suspended in my living room. How did you see them. I don't have them posted here.
Ah, you must have looked at my Photo Album over at AK didn't you. My Photo Album has alot of pictures of my gear and also my "Girls".

I may do a Photo Album here once I figure out how to get my pics small enough. I just fell funny posting pics of gear in an all "Carver" forum. Know what I mean?
Currently In Use
<<

kingman

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:39 pm

No junk there!!! Nice setup! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:47 am

Ed, folks here have the gamut of audio gear. There are fans of Martin Logan, tube gear (besides Bob's), Klipsch, etc., --you name it! We aren't bashful about showing it; neither should you be!

BTW, you posted a pic in another thread here that showed the 901s in it~
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:27 am

TNRabbit wrote:Ed, folks here have the gamut of audio gear. There are fans of Martin Logan, tube gear (besides Bob's), Klipsch, etc., --you name it! We aren't bashful about showing it; neither should you be!

I got a pic of me 901's here. Hmm, really? I know I must be losing it!! ](*,)
Currently In Use
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:02 am

edriz wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:Ed, folks here have the gamut of audio gear. There are fans of Martin Logan, tube gear (besides Bob's), Klipsch, etc., --you name it! We aren't bashful about showing it; neither should you be!

My bad; it was here:
http://www.thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1211

TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:44 am

TNRabbit wrote:
edriz wrote:

My bad; it was here:
http://www.thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1211

Your Killing Me Wabbit :lol: :lol: :lol:

If ya notice the left 901. That one has to move...again. My wife is gonna hang me. If ya look real close at the chains, you can see whwere I did a piss poor job of patchin some of the other holes where I already had the 901's. The right was worse. Ya see, that wall unit wasn't always where it is now. It had to be moved to accomadate the lascalas. It was either that or the wall unit was out of there. One way or the other, the lascalas WERE coming in the Living room. At the moment, the 901's aren't in use. But, I still need to reposition the left. The wall unit is blocking the sound from reflecting off the rear wall. That means shooting yet another azimuth. More holes in the ceiling and tring to figure out where to go with it. I can always go to the Left wall. Thats the beauty of the 901's. They don't have to be on the same wall. With Direct reflecting sound and 90% of the sound reflecting, you can still get a true stereo imaging as long as they are in a close proximaty of each other. I did the same thing with them with the right speaker. I had the right speaker on the right wall before the wall unit was moved. When the 901's are suspended, you can be more flexible with there placement. The 1 thing that mucst be avoided is corner placement. No can do with the 901's. But when hanging them, you can get a much deeper,richer bass out them. Thats something I didn't know before when I had them as floor standing, or what I meant to say on the pedistals.
Currently In Use
<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:26 am

Its been a while and there have been many changes to "My Vintage Junk". If all goes well, here are some new pics
Attachments
rack 1-3-11 050.JPG
Currently In Use
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 am

Nice, love the blue lighting.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
Next

Return to List / Update Your System