Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Carver Research Lightstar pre/amp internal pictures

Some pics of the guts of my 'new' Lightstar amp and my Lightstar Direct pre

Lightstar 2.0 internals

Lightstar 2.0 internals

Lightstar 2.0 internals

Lightstar Direct internals

Lightstar Direct internals

Some folks had remarked the Lightstars had some sloppy assembly and solder work. I'm not seeing it. New Lightstar owners can rest assured they purchased a top-notch product!!!

and for the uninformed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you come to CF'09 bring me some of what you're smoking... I could use the break from reality.

ray
Last edited by Magnaryder on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: Carver Research Lightstar pre/amp internal pictures

Wow! Those are really clean, look brand new! Very nice!
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:53 pm

PERRDY
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:20 am

Sweeeeeet. looks almost brand new. Congrats
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

dok

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks for the link and the beautiful pics! Sweeeeet! Now I am even more ansy than before!! \:D/ \:D/
I may not have it all together...But together we have it all!
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:05 pm

Magnaryder wrote:Some pics of the guts of my 'new' Lightstar amp and my Lightstar Direct pre

and for the uninformed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you come to CF'09 bring me some of what you're smoking... I could use the break from reality.

ray

Nice looking gear. NO need to insult Anatech though:

1. Your experience is a small % of his; he ran Carver repair for an entire Country
    2. It's entirely possible (unless you bought retail) that your amps had been to service prior to your purchase
    3. He was talking about Lightstar, not Lightstar II:

I have no reason to doubt Anatech's word:

1. He's a renowned Carver repair tech
    2. He made those comments to me almost a year ago
    3. He has no involvement (pro or con) in the current lightstar venture, so he's as impartial as they come.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:08 pm

RichP714 wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:Some pics of the guts of my 'new' Lightstar amp and my Lightstar Direct pre

ray

Nice looking gear. NO need to insult Anatech though:

1. Your experience is a small % of his; he ran Carver repair for an entire Country
    2. It's entirely possible (unless you bought retail) that your amps had been to service prior to your purchase
    3. He was talking about Lightstar, not Lightstar II:

I have no reason to doubt Anatech's word:

1. He's a renowned Carver repair tech
    2. He made those comments to me almost a year ago
    3. He has no involvement (pro or con) in the current lightstar venture, so he's as impartial as they come.

This is what you wrote:

"I think you're going to like them; if you got them from James they're probably in even better shape than the ones Carver sold. That was near the end of Carver corp. and I've heard horror stories of Lightstars going in for service; when opened there were loose solder globs and bits of wiring (hastily assembled). James' amps were assembled from parts he bought (I believe by Rita Helm)."

The Reference 2.0 was designed and built by Jim Croft and his team...after Bob left Carver. You imply that the 2.0s were hastliy built. Obviously, I disagree. The pics don't lie. Those look like damn fine pieces of gear to me...but I've been wrong today :-)

Let's agree to disagree. And what new Lightstar venture? Hmmm...I'll see the only guys capable of that next week and ask. i'll ask Bob about the service record of the Lightstar line too. Just to get the scoop.

Rich, come down to the 'Fest and give a listen. I'm always interested in hearing an informed POV. We're running at least one listening session involving Lightstar technology. You can even compare them to the Silver7 and 9 tube amps. They will be in the same room afterall.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:26 pm

If I read all this correctly, I think Anatech was talking about the original Lightstars, not the II. I don't think Rich has a pony in this race.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Kick ass amp!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:02 am

As for the Lightstar Referance... I dono man... looking pretty damn clean to me.
If anything, it looks a little cramped in there. I looks to me that every connection aside from the IEC plug, and the wires on the transformer itself are ALL plug connectors. There are no actual solder connections made by hand anywhere in here. Everything is board to board jumper cables.
It's still one of the cleanest units I have ever seen. Image

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

dok

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Just doesn`t get much prettier than that....well maybe if it was signed by BOB! \:D/
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:16 pm

How did that snake get all tied up in there?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:39 am

Meant to post this the other night, but forgot....

The details I have are as follows.

Bob designed, built and started to tune the original Lightstar amp. About 1/2 way through the amp tuning, he took one of his well known sabbaticals (which it seems he still does after completing a big project like the recent I-Mag amp for Sunfire... he took 2 weeks off after finishing that one too) from which he returned to Carver Corp, and a board-room full of the Board of Directors, and Lawyers. This is where they bough him out of his own company. Bob was going after the high end market i.e.: Lightstar solid state line, and the Silver series tube equipment. The BoDs thought they knew best, and were planning a all out assault on the Corporate chain stores using the Carver name as the clout to push cheaper made units from China world wide.
As usual Bob knew better, and walked away knowing what was going to happen to his company. It's not all that bad though, the BoDs had to, #1 buy him out of the company, and secondly, he wound up selling them all of is stock shares as well... Bob made out like a bandit on that deal !!!

After Bob was ousted from Carver Corp, Vic Richards took over the Lightstar line. If I'm not mistaken, Vic is the one the completed the Lightstar Reference voicing.
Jim Croft came in after the LS-1 was produced, to re-design the LS-2, and LS Pre.

It's a real shame the BoDs were so greedy, and wanted Carver to become the next Sony. It would have been very interesting to have seen what else would have come out from Carver Corp. next. I'd assume more Lightstar units, and a larger line of tube equipment.
But then again, both Carver and Sunfire were getting sucking into the HT craze at the exact same time... Tubes, and Lightstar may have both fallen off if Bob had stayed in power as well. Who knows..
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

dok

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Now if they will just ship my Amp and Pre and Tuner!! #-o #-o
<<

dok

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:38 pm

WOOOO HOOOO Lightstars Ahoy! Looks like they shipped them Today and Signed as well. Now I`m really excieted!! =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Next

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)