FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 am

??? QUESTIONS FOR BOB AT CARVERFEST 09' ???

<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:39 pm

??? QUESTIONS FOR BOB AT CARVERFEST 09' ???

Anyone that is NOT going to CarverFest09 and would like to ask Bob a question post it here and we will ask it for you. As you have all seen he will answer anything you are interested in and to he fullest extent of what he can remember from WAY BACK WHEN.

Hopefully now that Toy Maker knows how to edit and post on UTUBE it won`t take as long as the ?s from 08. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:59 am

Re: ??? QUESTIONS FOR BOB AT CARVERFEST 09' ???

GET THEM IN NOW... Who knows if we will be able to get on the net once we get there ](*,)
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Anyone might be able to answer this: I read in the Stereophile challenge the amp Bob used was the M-1.0t? Then I read somewhere (can't remember where) it was the M-1.5t? What amp was it?
Thanks
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:19 pm

It was an M-1.0 (he made it a "t" during the Challenge). IIRC, the amp was more like about 300 WPC, but the marketing guys sold it at 200 WPC because they wanted a price point. SO, it's one of the better values in the Carver lineup.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Mr. M-500t

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:40 pm

What ever happened with the Active Crossover we discussed on the phone Mr. Carver ?
<<

BillD

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:47 pm

And what ever happened to the AL-III crossover schematics he promised me?

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:29 pm

Mr. M-500t wrote:What ever happened with the Active Crossover we discussed on the phone Mr. Carver ?
Hey bud! Could we have more information to present to him? I presume it's been close to a year since he discussed this over the phone. Fill us in so that we can fill him in. Communication is key, you know that. I'll be happy to personally address that if you fill me in Rick.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:32 pm

BillD wrote:And what ever happened to the AL-III crossover schematics he promised me?
He does not have them. Bob did not save any documentation. This is what we learned from him last year. I will ask him again if he has them still [based upon what he told you] this go 'round. This year I won't be as busy so it won't be a problem.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:31 pm

I asked him via e-mail (through the forum), and he said he'd look for them (about a month ago). I "reminded" him and received no response. My initial request (from a year ago) was for Sunfire service manuals!

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:23 pm

"Are we there yet" :D
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Yeah Bill, I remember the Sunfire service request and I haven't seen anything pop up yet or heard anything further. I'll be sure to ask him what progress has been made on that front. Thanks for the reminder.

<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:31 pm

BillD wrote:It was an M-1.0 (he made it a "t" during the Challenge). IIRC, the amp was more like about 300 WPC, but the marketing guys sold it at 200 WPC because they wanted a price point. SO, it's one of the better values in the Carver lineup.

And what exactly was the "t" mode? Was it adding a 1 ohm resister to the output. And what exactly does the "t" stand for? Tube like sound? Thanks
<<

BillD

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:35 pm

The t mod varies by amp, but it's a little more than just resistance at the output. Bob always said it will get you 85-90% there with just the resistance. Although most people think the "t" is for tube, it really stands for "transfer function" (in this case, non-linear). For a long time people strived for a "straight wire with gain" approach to transfer function. A lot of listeners found that dry because they were used to listening to amplifiers that were nonlinear. Bob matched that non-linearity to a number of amps (Conrad Johnson in the M-1.0t). After the M series, Bob dropped the "t" suffix and became more descriptive by using the TFM prefix (for "transfer function modified").

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Cool, Thanks BillD!
<<

marantzfan

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:30 am

As a very proud Sunfire Classic owner, I am curious to know what Bob thinks about rolling in NOS Bugle Boys into this preamp vs. the stock tubes? Also, any news on the new phono section that he is developing. As a vinyl enthusiast I am just ITCHING to get one as mine doesnt have a phono section...

Anthony
Sunfire Classic, Sunfire 300, Cambridge DACmagic, Technics SL-1210 M5G w. Benz Micro Silver, Carver Amazing Silver
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 09'